When I was choosing my first character to play through PoE, I decided that Chanter sounded like my kind of thing. So, I rolled one up and started to play. I wasn't very satisfied with it, and started combing google for tips on how to make one and how to play it. In the process I came across a fair bit of information that didn't seem to match up with what I was seeing in game, so tonight I started doing some testing myself to make sure.
First up: Chants and Phrases.
1) My testing confirms that Phrases are completely unaffected directly in duration or effect by any stat. Many websites and forum posts are saying that Intellect (increased duration) affects the Linger portion of a Phrase, but this doesn't appear to be the case when viewing the Phrase description, the buff icon on characters, the debuff info on enemies or in the combat log.
2) Intellect only increases the "outer" area of effect. The inner circle is unchanged.
3) Dexterity doesn't affect Chants at all (I've seen some suggesting that it can speed up Chants)
4) Debuff Phrases can graze and crit just like any other attack. It's based off your mainhand accuracy vs the defense listed in the description. A Phrase that Grazes will have it's duration reduced by 50%, and Phrases that Crit have the duration increased by 50%. The effect part of a Phrase (eg endurance drain amount) is unchanged
1) Summons appear to be unaffected by any stat. Duration, endurance/hp, damage done etc.
2) Intellect increases the outer ring size of invocations that have it, but the inner size remains the same.
3) Dexterity has no effect on Invocation recovery time.
I'd like to do some testing on Might wrt Summons as well perhaps. But I expect it will have no effect.
I'm interested to hear from anyone else who is testing chanter builds and such, but right now thinking about making a tank chanter who uses summons I'm considering just leaving int at 10.
Edit: Fixed up some place where I said Chant when I meant Phrase.
Edited by Faydark, 31 March 2015 - 02:16 AM.