What language is PoE written in? (computer language, IE, c++, java, etc)

Where'd you all get a ridiculous idea like that?

Unity runs on iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, OS X... it has language bindings for C++, Java, Objective-C, but it's written in C and C++. The only time you'd use a toy language like C# is if you're writing some script.

Unity runs on iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, OS X... it has language bindings for C++, Java, Objective-C, but it's written in C and C++. The only time you'd use a toy language like C# is if you're writing some script.

You're not correct. To use all of the features of Unity, you'd use C#. .NET Framework interactivity etc.

Plus C# is slowly and steadily becoming the standard prog.language for games, eg most Xbox games are wirtten in C#.

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/index.html

Let me also use the magic of stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4989689/what-language-is-used-to-develop-using-unity

All development is done using your choice of C#, Boo, or a dialect of JavaScript.

• C# needs no explanation :)
  • Boo is a CLI language with very similar syntax to Python; it is, however, statically typed at has a few other differences. It's not "really" Python; it just looks similar.
  • The version of JavaScript used by Unity is also a CLI language, and is compiled. Newcomers often assume JS isn't as good as the other three, but it's compiled and just as fast and functional.

Most of the example code in the documentation is in JavaScript; if you poke around the official forums and wiki you'll see a pretty even mix of C# and Javascript. Very few people seem to use Boo, but it's just as good; pick the language your already know or are happiest learning.

Unity takes your C#/JS/Boo code and compiles it to run on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, XBox, PS3, Wii, or web plugin. Depending on the platform that might end up being Objective C or something else, but that's completely transparent to you. There's really no benefit to knowing Objective C; you can't program in it.

Edited by Jimmious

You're not correct. To use all of the features of Unity, you'd use C#. .NET Framework interactivity etc.

Plus C# is slowly and steadily becoming the standard prog.language for games, eg most Xbox games are wirtten in C#.

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/index.html

Let me also use the magic of stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4989689/what-language-is-used-to-develop-using-unity

All development is done using your choice of C#, Boo, or a dialect of JavaScript.

• C# needs no explanation :)
  • Boo is a CLI language with very similar syntax to Python; it is, however, statically typed at has a few other differences. It's not "really" Python; it just looks similar.
  • The version of JavaScript used by Unity is also a CLI language, and is compiled. Newcomers often assume JS isn't as good as the other three, but it's compiled and just as fast and functional.

Most of the example code in the documentation is in JavaScript; if you poke around the official forums and wiki you'll see a pretty even mix of C# and Javascript. Very few people seem to use Boo, but it's just as good; pick the language your already know or are happiest learning.

Unity takes your C#/JS/Boo code and compiles it to run on iOS, Android, PC, Mac, XBox, PS3, Wii, or web plugin. Depending on the platform that might end up being Objective C or something else, but that's completely transparent to you. There's really no benefit to knowing Objective C; you can't program in it.

Like I said, C# is what it uses for scripts. Plugins, and all important stuff are written in real languages supported by the underlying platform. You can even interface with native languages from C# scripts.

Let's make it clear:
To work with Unity you write code in C# or javascript or this Boo thingie.
I don't know what you mean by "important stuff" unless you mean the actual development of the Unity engine itself which is a different matter. 
You , me and everyone that wants to create a game using Unity will actually work with C# or javascript

*C# is awesome and most definitely a "real" language

Edited by Jimmious
  • Like 1

If we're going to get into arguments about what a real programming languages is, let's just get all that just the way and state here and now you are not a REAL programmer unless you are using machine code. Assembly is for the weak. and portability is for those without job security.

Edited by Andrew_C

Let's make it clear:

To work with Unity you write code in C# or javascript or this Boo thingie.

I don't know what you mean by "important stuff" unless you mean the actual development of the Unity engine itself which is a different matter. 

You , me and everyone that wants to create a game using Unity will actually work with C# or javascript

*C# is awesome and most definitely a "real" language

Definitely not me, if I wrote a game using Unity I would cut the crap and use its low-level native plugin interface. Gameplay can be implemented with scripts, but I don't want to piss around with its high-level graphics abstraction.

Can't be C#, thats only for windows!

That's entirely incorrect though.

Anyway - Unity uses MonoDevelop which is their own offshoot of C# as far as I can tell

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/MonoDevelop.html

MonoDevelop is older than Unity and is an open source project continuation of SharpDevelop. Unity uses MonoDevelop for their scripts, but it's not theirs in any way.

All hail the Great Old One....you get it? Becausei t's only ones and zeros and someone's worshipping the one? So funny, because I had to explain it, which makes it even more funnier! AND it's a Cthulhu refrence. Aren't you glad, that I also explained that? :3

Oh yeah, everybody trying to argue he's one of the real programmers because he does everything in manly C/C++ and any other language is just for pussies and by-the-way his balls are mother****in' huuuuuge because he codes graphics cards drivers for breakfast, is actually quite the idiot, sorry for having to say this.

Edited by wickermoon
  • Like 3

Yay, my badge :3

All hail the Great Old One....you get it? Becausei t's only ones and zeros and someone's worshipping the one? So funny, because I had to explain it, which makes it even more funnier! AND it's a Cthulhu refrence. Aren't you glad, that I also explained that? :3

Oh yeah, everybody trying to argue he's one of the real programmers because he does everything in manly C/C++ and any other language is just for pussies and by-the-way his balls are mother****in' huuuuuge because he codes graphics cards drivers for breakfast, is actually quite the idiot, sorry for having to say this.

Agreed with your last point, but who's doing that?

a toy language like C#

:mellow: 

C# is a very powerful language. the fact that it uses a virtual machine doesn't make it a "toy" language. I guess you'll say the same thing about Java.

actually, you can write an operating system in C#, that's how powerful it is

Edited by sorophx
  • Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

a toy language like C#

:mellow: 

C# is a very powerful language. the fact that it uses a virtual machine doesn't make it a "toy" language. I guess you'll say the same thing about Java.

actually, you can write an operating system in C#, that's how powerful it is

I have my doubts about that latter point, what with is inability to deal with arbitrary memory addresses and all (which is due in large part to extremely anal type safety). You're going to need some code in there written in a different language to write even a simple driver. You can call Operating System services and various other low-level APIs and libraries written in a platform's preferred language from C#, but the point about C# being a "toy" language was that it tries extraordinarily hard to hide any platform details from you. You get an implementation of .NET basically as your standard library, and to do anything platform-specific, you suddenly have to call something written in a different language.

You absolutely can write full-blown applications in C#, it's just not the kind of stuff I do. I more or less write the stuff that a higher-level language like C# sits on top of. So when I say "toy", don't take that offensively. To someone who writes verilog or various forms of assembly code all day long, C would be considered a toy as well. Something that is vastly more fun / easier to work with than the language you _have_ to do your actual work in.

Edited by Kaldaien

I have my doubts about that latter point, what with is inability to deal with arbitrary memory addresses and all (which is due in large part to extremely anal type safety). You're going to need some code in there written in a different language to write even a simple driver. 

check this out: https://github.com/CosmosOS

basically, it uses CIL for everything low-level, so you don't have to write in Assembly. you could, though. there are many fairly cool OSes build with Cosmos. hell, I hate Assembly, but even I made a simple OS with a crappy GUI (had to make fonts and everything) using Cosmos. has its own bootloader built-in.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

You probably should stop talking about C# because you don't know as much about it as you think you do, and the people who do are laughing at you.

If you say so, aren't you the one who claimed only a few posts earlier that C# is a Microsoft-only language? That gave me a tremendous laugh. I've not touched the languge since Visual Studio.NET was in beta in 2000 and even I knew better than that.