Complete Crash on Linux

HansDampf

Question

Hey Guys!

I just installed Pillars of Eternity over Steam on my Linux Machine. But somehow i cant get it running. In seven times out of ten it will crash my whole pc while loading the Game (after clicking New Game -> Accept). Sometimes i get into the Character Creation Screen. Here it crashes when i choose a appearance. 

I already tried to disable steam overlay. Disable V-Sync. Disable Fullscreen. Tried it in Fullscreen. But it doesnt work. When it crashes, my two Monitors went black for second (like when they loose connection) and then they show me a freezed image. I cant use my PC after that. But when i press the PowerOff-Button on my PC, it shuts down without a problem. I think the game somehow crashes the WindowManager.

My Specs are:

Kernel: 3.19.2-1-ARCH
WindowManager: BSPWM (tilling)
CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30 GHZ
GPU: Sapphire Readon 7870 OC
RAM: 8GB

My Player.log file is:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpxgzo0ol802i9p/Player.log?dl=0

Because i cant start, there are no savefiles. This is all i got.

I hope you can help me! Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Arch linux user here. I can create my character but it crashes before anything happens, start of cut scene then crash.

Im afraid you are out of luck till the new catalyst comes out.

You can play it on Wine steam on arch linux. After you download, try run it, you will get an error when it tries to install microsoft vc redist package, just press cancel, and another when it tries step 2(cant remember what this one was), just press cancel again and the game should just start. and it works well.

However games saves are platform specific so u wont be able to port them to your linux version if we can ever get it to work native.

so far i have 29 hours this way. i would prefer native but this will have to do. im not waiting for the catalyst.