Olympic women's fencing

J.E. Sawyer

Today, Mariel Zagunis won the gold medal in women's individual sabre and Sada Jacobson won the bronze. It's the first time an American woman has earned any Olympic medal in fencing, the first American Olympic fencing medal in 20 years, and the first gold in 96.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2...ing/3574244.stm

Today, Mariel Zagunis won the gold medal in women's individual sabre and Sada Jacobson won the bronze.  It's the first time an American woman has earned any Olympic medal in fencing, the first American Olympic fencing medal in 20 years, and the first gold in 96.

I remember hearing that you was into fencing. I have a very close female friend who's really big on fencing, and ballet surprisingly... I'd guess they complement each other, but my use of bladed weapons has always been brutal, and certainly without any grace.

So are you any good? or just one of those hobbies?

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I spent a lot of time doing boffer-LARPs, and a few months in the SCA. I never did much actual "fencing". We had a crash course when I did some Shakespeare plays, when someone from the local fencing club came down.

Personally, I'd be more interested in picking up kendo, but I've always wanted to get better with a sword.

I did some years of "Street fencing" when I lived in Queens, NY. For those of you that live in towns where you can walk the streets without being robbed, street fencing is the art of fending off intruders with a baseball bat.

There are two important components to street fencing:

1. Swinging the bat wildly to scare off your opponent

2. Talking trash about his mother.

These two are equally important in overcoming your victi... err... opponent.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

I love fencing, been doing it for about 3 years (only gone to about 4 competitions, and yet I somehow got to the US Summer Nationals ;) ) I prefer foil, although I can fence in epee or sabre if I have to for some odd reason, but I'm only good at foil. I'm not great, but decent for a U (the lowest level fencer, U stands for Unranked)

I did some years of "Street fencing" when I lived in Queens, NY. For those of you that live in towns where you can walk the streets without being robbed, street fencing is the art of fending off intruders with a baseball bat.

There are two important components to street fencing:

1. Swinging the bat wildly to scare off your opponent

2. Talking trash about his mother.

These two are equally important in overcoming your victi... err... opponent.

I can't talk, I'm a suburban wimp. My plan for fending of an intruder is...um...give me a second here....carry a shotgun?

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

I can't talk, I'm a suburban wimp.  My plan for fending of an intruder is...um...give me a second here....carry a shotgun?

Just make sure he is dead, otherwise you will probably end up in court.

"Why, I was just cleaning the man's windows, and I broke one by accident...next thing you know, he's shooting at me!"

Actually, if it's a bad guy, just slide the action, the noise alone is enough to deter most would-be thieves. :)

Okay, enough derailment. Go America!

We need to look good in something, because the men weren't doing so well in Gymnastics when I was able to watch.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I just frown at anyone I want to scare off, I'm probably one of the most intimidating looking person on these boards...

If your avatar looks like you, then it might not be your frown they are running from... ;) (j/k)

On topic: No!!! The US men's fencing team were SO close to the Bronze metal win... :)

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

We need to look good in something, because the men weren't doing so well in Gymnastics when I was able to watch.

Need to look good in something? As I recall you're currently leading on not only gold medal counts but also overall medal counts.

Need to look good in something indeed. :)

Today, Mariel Zagunis won the gold medal in women's individual sabre and Sada Jacobson won the bronze.  It's the first time an American woman has earned any Olympic medal in fencing, the first American Olympic fencing medal in 20 years, and the first gold in 96.

JE, have you read any good books or manuals on fencing?