Is constitution really necessary for Chanter

Chanter, party leader and off tank.

Is constitution important ?

Chanter has low base health. And every point in constitution adds just little % to maxium ammount.

14 constitution would add 10% boost to health. So for example 100 would be 110.

If your character is tanking and getting hit , i dont think this would make almost any difference.

On other hand Chanter has high deflection.

Boosting resolve to maximum and having heavy armor makes him much harder to hit.

And makes much bigger impact than 10% more hitpoints.

Splitting points between two , has diminishing return because having higher defence than opponent attack makes hit to graze automatically.

So i decided to leave con at 10 ( i dont want penalty either )

What are your thoughts ?

Chanter, party leader and off tank.

Is constitution important ?

Chanter has low base health. And every point in constitution adds just little % to maxium ammount.

14 constitution would add 10% boost to health. So for example 100 would be 110.

If your character is tanking and getting hit , i dont think this would make almost any difference.

On other hand Chanter has high deflection.

Boosting resolve to maximum and having heavy armor makes him much harder to hit.

And makes much bigger impact than 10% more hitpoints.

Splitting points between two , has diminishing return because having higher defence than opponent attack makes hit to graze automatically.

So i decided to leave con at 10 ( i dont want penalty either )

What are your thoughts ?

Ive played around and i think that if you are going full chanter tank putting points in both is needed tbh. You do get more bang for your buck with damage mitigation though, but without constitution you drop in seconds to true damage

Con really isn't needed for anyone. It's nice to have on anyone, but the effects are pretty small. You wouldn't want to have a penalty if you're trying to tank, and monks obviously need more than most since they have to take damage to use their abilities, but 8-10 for non-tanks and 10-12 for tanks is plenty. For a chanter tank, 10 is probably fine, since they they have mediocre base endurance/health (and Con adds a %, so good base means better returns), but then again you might want to give them a little extra padding by any means necessary. Kinda up to you. 2-4 points isn't going to make or break you either way unless you're playing on Path of the Damned.

Also, check out this thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/74003-chanter-chants-invocations-and-stats/ for some interesting thoughts/experiments with chanters and stats. Might help you find the extra stat points you're looking for.

chanter has not low base health , it has almost the same as a warrior, but .. needed ? no.

Its ussefull if you are going to tank or go in melee ... if not you can get a 3 in con and be happy .

Chanters are really good at "play as you want" ... you can go full dps, you can go ranged, melee , tank ...

soo .. in the same way .. do you need dexterity ?, do you need might ? do you need int ?...

Chanter does not need anything... it has hight damage, or bufs, that goes full auto ... summons .. that last for all the fight .. so no duration problem ... the chants need the same time wathever your action speed ... until lvl 9 your chants do no damage ... nor healing .. and migth does not affect your summons, and im not sure it afects the damage chant ... so ...

put the points were you want ...

I feel bad for wizards and cyphers ... if they had the same hp as a chanter you could make them good at melee or tanking .. but its not the case ...

Edited by Arctic

Chanter is by far the less attribute dependant class.

Their chants currently do not get modified by stats (no, they do not linger more with more INT, it might be a bug), and summons are not modified by your stats either.

So you can do whatever you want!! :)

Assuming you max PER and RES for deflection since you want to tank;

You only need MIG to do more damage with weapons and some incantations (no summons), so it will not happen very often in a fight, specially if you want to summon.

If you are going to value high deflection, then you will want a shield, and therefor you will only attack with 1 hand weapon, not much damage anyways. And not much accuracy either.

You only need DEX to attack faster with that weapon.

You only need INT for incantation duration and AoE.

So CON is not so bad, isnt it! It gives mental peace so you dont panic when an enemy has a lucky roll.

I would suggest having a low DEX, and the rest is a little bit of preference. Giving that nuke a little more damage, or more duration, or having more health...

Chanter is by far the less attribute dependant class.

Their chants currently do not get modified by stats (no, they do not linger more with more INT, it might be a bug), and summons are not modified by your stats either.

So you can do whatever you want!! :)

Assuming you max PER and RES for deflection since you want to tank;

You only need MIG to do more damage with weapons and some incantations (no summons), so it will not happen very often in a fight, specially if you want to summon.

If you are going to value high deflection, then you will want a shield, and therefor you will only attack with 1 hand weapon, not much damage anyways. And not much accuracy either.

You only need DEX to attack faster with that weapon.

You only need INT for incantation duration and AoE.

So CON is not so bad, isnt it! It gives mental peace so you dont panic when an enemy has a lucky roll.

I would suggest having a low DEX, and the rest is a little bit of preference. Giving that nuke a little more damage, or more duration, or having more health...

Yea Ive noticed that, my 4 chanter build worked very well as I just made them all stupid as hell (intel 4) however i wouldnt recommend running more than 2 chanters per group maximum, it was kind of boring just watching the summons auto attack even if it was effective

I have a fun build for a Chanter off-tank, which I perceive as a Chanter who will sometimes be tanking one enemy and sometimes working as damagedealer, switching between sword & board in one weapon slot and either 2H or high-damage ranged in the other as preferred.

It would be pretty suicidal to use this as the primary tanking character in a party, but since the OP is talking about off-tanking, it could for work him.

It is:

Fire Godlike/Old Valia/+2 lore background of your choice.

18 Might

3 Constitution

4 Dexterity

15 Perception

20 Intelligence

18 Resolve

Wear high DR armour.

Starting chants are Come, Come, Soft Winds of Death and Dull the Edge, Dull the Sword. Starting Invocation is whatever you prefer. (I like the Phantom for first 1st level Invocation and a damage dealing for second, but depending on party composition others might be more useful). The Chanter will of course take the two Chanter talents to gain constant friendly endurance regeneration in the exceptionally large radius and will pick up the damage dealing level 2 and level 3 chants when they become available.

The result is a chanter that has very reasonable defenses, though he falls a bit behind in fortitude, while constantly dealing a bit of damage to all enemies in a large radius, who has few but powerful melee/ranged attacks, and who despite his low endurance is surprisingly durable due to the extra +4 DR when below 50% endurance. He is also good for conversation options due to the high Intelligence, Resolve, and Lore. You'd never want him as main tank with these stats, but as offtank/damagedealer? Try it out. You might be positively surprised.

Alternatively, slaughter perception and resolve for constitution and dexterity for fewer conversation options, less easy time dealing with interruptions, more damage, and transforming into a soaking tank rather than an avoidance tank.

A note on the endurance damaging chants such as Come, Come, Soft Winds of Death.... They deal fairly low damage and aren't worth much when fighting single targets, but as they affect all targets in the Chanter's Chant radius, which is huge with 20 Int, and as the game features ever larger fights as you progress, you'll swiftly come to appreciate the gentle drain. (And the not so gentle drain for the higher level draining Chants.)

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.