Option to Stand Still in Combat?

Simply; I am trying to enclose enemies in a door way so that my two front-liners can keep enemies from maneuvering to my back-line where the squishy mages and archers are. My issue is that my front-line keeps trying to move forward to engage new enemies rather than sit tight and let the enemies come to them. Worse, enemies keep getting attacks of opportunity on my front-line because they insist on fidgeting around. 

So my question then; Is there a way to tell my team to stand still rather than constantly trying to advance? I've turned on 'Disable Auto-Attacks' but it doesn't seem to take affect at very close proximity. 

• Like 1

Sure, yeah, the X button on the UI, stops everyone or a single character. 

Well, yes, but that will stop them after they are already moving from their spot, not beforehand. So you have like spit second to notice, pause and stop em.

I also hate their auto advance mechanic. I had a fight in a doorway, I had discovered trap few steps ahead. After his current target was dead, my tank was idiotic enough to auto move to next enemy right trough the trap, which resulted in his death.

I am afraid companions do not lack AI, as people claim. It is worse, the have AI of lemmings.

• Like 1

Well, yes, but that will stop them after they are already moving from their spot, not beforehand. So you have like spit second to notice, pause and stop em.

I also hate their auto advance mechanic. I had a fight in a doorway, I had discovered trap few steps ahead. After his current target was dead, my tank was idiotic enough to auto move to next enemy right trough the trap, which resulted in his death.

I am afraid companions do not lack AI, as people claim. It is worse, the have AI of lemmings.

In the "game" options there is one called "disable auto-attack" in the bottom right that says it will stop your party from automatically moving to new enemies, does this fix the issue you're having?

Edited by Bli1942

I'm supposing that 'x' button is my best bet, but it does require very specific timing. I really would have liked a basic AI option to "hold your ground" though. Maybe a future patch or mod will do something to that effect. You definitely want to let them advance, rather than try to correct their movement backwards as this often procs an attack of opportunity (or disengagement attack, as it's called in this game). 

Characters auto-pathing into traps after they've been established as traps was a bit annoying to me as well. I would have hoped the pathfinding would have been slightly more intelligent as to mark those areas as places not to stand in once discovered unless I'm specifically trying to set off the trap by sending a character into the red-zone. I suppose having to guide each character through a mine-field individually gives it a sort of realistic tension. 

Add my vote to this feature request.

The point of micromanaging combatants is that I am the one micromanaging them!

It is fatal when I try to set up a chokepoint but my melee fighters move into the room, allowing foes to come out of the room and smack over poor Aloth.

• Like 1

A guard command would be handy to ensure my front liners do not leave the choke points unintentionally like they do it now. Disabling auto-attacking fixes this but I want it to enabled for the rest of the party.

• Like 1

In the "game" options there is one called "disable auto-attack" in the bottom right that says it will stop your party from automatically moving to new enemies, does this fix the issue you're having?

Except this option does not work. I have it turned on and my melee characters still auto attack and run after new targets. Edited by archangel979

A guard command would be handy to ensure my front liners do not leave the choke points unintentionally like they do it now. Disabling auto-attacking fixes this but I want it to enabled for the rest of the party.

This. The guard or hold ground toggle "stance" would be extremely beneficial.

Except this option does not work. I have it turned on and my melee characters still auto attack and run after new targets.

I think it only applies to the initial autoattack, so that if the character is already attacking something, he'll move on to the next target. It's annoying, yeah.

Except this option does not work. I have it turned on and my melee characters still auto attack and run after new targets.

I think it only applies to the initial autoattack, so that if the character is already attacking something, he'll move on to the next target. It's annoying, yeah.

Better word would be useless.

I second this entirely. I would really like a "stand guard", or "stand and fight" toggle. Disabling auto-attack just doesn't cut it, nor does the X button. I often find myself wanting my characters to stand where they are, and fight either their designated target or whoever's at range.

Here are some reasons for this:

- maintain a careful strategic positioning for mutual protection and party survival;

- use the environment to the party advantage, eg doorways, rocks, bottlenecks etc;

- don't be unnecessarily exposed to attacks of opportunity (well, whatever they'0re called in PoE);

- avoid friendly fire damage, and maximize the effects of friendly beneficial AoE's or auras.

Thus, I really hope something like this will be implemented, at some point.

I’m selling these fine leather jackets.

I would like this as well. Currently I line up my ranged fighters and my melee, then lure the enemies with Eder, then continuously pausing/clicking X/forcing Eder to keep running. I strongly miss "hold your ground" option for all characters.

this kept me fighting the ogre magi bounty make for maybe 15-30 min bec my party would not stick to the plan and kept getting out of position.  Grrr somebody pls patch this. Its like RTS game like Starcraft havent been around like forever.  Stand ground should be mandatory in these games at this point.