A DLC to enhance companions first?

How about to make a small DLC,which include new quests and dialougues for the 8 companions?For example, Sagani caught a rare powerful dire wolf,Aloth created a new spell,or something like those which can make them more special.Otherwise they are too weak.I will prefer to hire 5 adventurers on tavern.

Also the story on them are not rich,which need to be improved.In the later game they almost don't talk to each other.

About companion design I think DA:O did a better job.

Edited by bronzepoem

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Its a good idea but lets not give paradox any ideas..... otherwise they will milk this game even more than CK2 (almost 130 dollars for the full game.... )

So i'd prefer a big expansion with everything we can think of and including improvements on the party members like you suggested :)

• Like 1

While there is certainly a lot of "silly" DLC for CK2 (Crusader Kings 2), all of it is optional, and all of it is separated out. You don't want to buy the new artwork, music, or unit packs? That's 100% okay, cause they're in their own DLC and no one's making you buy it. IMO, CK2 has one of the best DLC systems around. When I buy an xpac, I know exactly what I'm getting. I'm not getting charged extra for music I may or may not want or portraits I may or may not care about. And if I do want them, well, those are avaliable too. And if I'm being careful with money/broke, I can wait till they go on sale for 40 cents.

So, to be honest, I hope, with all my heart, that PoE gets the EXACT same DLC/Xpac treatment Paradox is giving to CK2. That would mean 3+ years of new, awesome, reasonably priced xpacs, lots of extra cosmetic things (that may or may not be reasonably priced, depending on how much you like them), constant free improvements to the base game, and more content than you could possibly ever consume in one lifetime.

Yeah, Paradox, get in here! Give PoE the CK2 treatment! Now that I think about it, that sounds bloody awesome!

Obsidian has pledged that there will be no DLCs, and thank everyone's favorite deity for that.

Paradox of course would DLC like mad, nickle and diming PoE players as much as they could. Fortunately they are not in charge of development. By all that is holy, hopefully they never will be.

• Like 5

Well some of us like to have a complete game with a normal price count. I for one havent bought Crusader kings 2 because of the massive ammount of DLC indeed, while i did buy Victoria 2 for example, mainly because it only has 2 extra stuffs you gotta buy, the 2 expansions. CK2 has what, 9 expansions? From what i gather from my bro, considering all these expansions arent really setting changes but adding features to the main game, you cant compare playing vanilla CK2 and it complete. 

Matter of opinion i guess, but CK2 treatment for this game would be the worst thing IMO. Worst thing about paradox is their DLC policy, i personally miss the old days of good old solid expansions.

Obsidian has pledged that there will be no DLCs, and thank everyone's favorite deity for that.

Paradox of course would DLC like mad, nickle and diming PoE players as much as they could. Fortunately they are not in charge of development. By all that is holy, hopefully they never will be.

Great news, thanks for the info mate! :D

Edited by Wulfburk

I just want the option to change their stats :D

(I know you can do this with the IE mod, but at the moment the option is bugged, IIRC).

I have not used this myself, so I don't know if it works 100% or not, but here's a an editor for PoE that you might be able to use to do what you're looking to do.

Well some of us like to have a complete game with a normal price count. I for one havent bought Crusader kings 2 because of the massive ammount of DLC indeed, while i did buy Victoria 2 for example, mainly because it only has 2 extra stuffs you gotta buy, the 2 expansions. CK2 has what, 9 expansions? From what i gather from my bro, considering all these expansions arent really setting changes but adding features to the main game, you cant compare playing vanilla CK2 and it complete. 

Matter of opinion i guess, but CK2 treatment for this game would be the worst thing IMO. Worst thing about paradox is their DLC policy, i personally miss the old days of good old solid expansions.

The main difference with your example is that CK2 the DLCs enhance the game but really are optionable. Vicky2 feels pretty incomplete without the expansions. I much prefer the new system, though I think Art of War is a bit pricey for EU4.

With that said, I agree that such a model is not ideal for a RPG. I don't want little bits of DLC. I want grand adventure all in one package.

(I know you can do this with the IE mod, but at the moment the option is bugged, IIRC).

I have not used this myself, so I don't know if it works 100% or not, but here's a an editor for PoE that you might be able to use to do what you're looking to do.

Thanks, will maybe look into it later. Don't know if I should just lower the difficulty so I can take whoever I want to with me or if I really should change their stats. Don't want a corrupt save or something. I'll see.

Just an observation: when you say no DLC, I read the game is finished and no new content will ever come. I know you IE folks like this expansion-DLC distinction, but it's quite confusing for those of us who normally hang out in other parts of the internet where everything is DLC. Heck, Pillars already has a few DLC: the pre-order and KS backer stuff. They were separate downloads for me on GOG.

Anyway, I would stongly prefer it if Obsidian stuck with decently sized expansions and never tried this shameful nickel-and-diming the OP suggests. Luckily, I have no doubt Obsidian will do just that. :)

Of course premade min/maxed adventures will be better than a NPC, they're made based on story/RP reasons (hopefully) and what you get for the lack of perfect stats/power is an actual character, not just a blank face.

Though I've really started to like my rogue adventurer for some reason :p

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

The companions are fine if you don't see them from a powergaming PoV.

Just get creative and play them within their constraints!

- Play Aloth as a buffer/debuffer/CC

- Eder is a great DD when equipped with 2H weapons

- Durance' stat distribution isn't that bad except for some missing INT ... he still does his job pretty good.

- Kana has almost perfect stat distribution; if you catch him early, you also won't miss out on critical talent choices

- Pallegina is a decent DD and supporter aswell

- Sagani, Hiravius and Mother are decent; custom NPCs might be better, but they still get the job done without much pain

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I would like to see full expansions and a complete sequel. This doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing new patches that add little things here and there that improve the original game. I point to the BG series as an example. They had a hit and generated a fanbase, then they hit everyone upside their head with a sequel (and expansion) that went above and beyond what they expected. 

If we are wishing, then I prefer the CD Project RED style of DLC, meaning everything after the initial main game are free ;-).

Anyway I like the CK2 and EUIV approach to DLC, meaning something are free updates to the core game mechanics (a better balance of the companions e.g.), other things are big and thus expansion pack (I am thinking old BG1 and 2 style expansion packs), and yet other things only add small stuff and thus considered DLC (this could be a couple of new small story adventures zones including 1-2 new companions). It is a good approach which as you go along doesn't cost that much and it keeps the company supporting and adding to the game for years. Yes, CK2 is expensive now if you buy it now with all the DLC, but over the course of years since its launch, personally I would have spent the same amount of money on other games if CK2 hadn't kept my interest.

The main thing they should be aware of is, that what makes for good DLC in a grand strategy game isn't necessarily what makes for good DLC in a RPG (same thoughts should go toward Cities: Skylines, which will follow that DLC path). If they are in doubt, just look at EA/Bioware with Dragon Age and go the opposite way.

Edited by gnoster

No DLCs for PoE, would preffer something like this in the expansion. :D

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Just an observation: when you say no DLC, I read the game is finished and no new content will ever come. I know you IE folks like this expansion-DLC distinction, but it's quite confusing for those of us who normally hang out in other parts of the internet where everything is DLC. Heck, Pillars already has a few DLC: the pre-order and KS backer stuff. They were separate downloads for me on GOG.

Anyway, I would stongly prefer it if Obsidian stuck with decently sized expansions and never tried this shameful nickel-and-diming the OP suggests. Luckily, I have no doubt Obsidian will do just that. :)

Rosveen is right, there already are DLC's. And they will be - such time, such market.

But what's more important I had last a quarrel with friend of mine. About DLC.

He's saying (payable) DLC's are great - evryone can buy Vanilla and those who want can buy more extra things, that need more money to develop.

I'm saying (payable) DLC's are stealing - they chop game and sell game as parts.

But I think this is solely issue of money. He's earning ten times more than me. He can afford game fo $150 on launch and for me even $60 is too much.

Anyway I like policies of such companies like Obsidian or CDPR who don't treat their clients like moneybags.

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

Would they add more companion interaction in the expansion though? Like, for the main game content? I don't remember IE games' expansions adding stuff like companion interactions to the original game. Added stuff is usually just in the expansion story line and areas. I think that's why bronzepoem suggested a DLC. Personally, if they could use the expansion time/budget (it would demand VO etc.) to add this sort of stuff to the main story and reactivity for the original game, it would be perfect for me.

I still haven't played PoE much (waiting for the first patches), but bronzepoem's saying that companion interactions are too weak, and no one replying to it, made me worried. It is the stuff I'm most looking forward too =(.

You can cheat them xD, But they are no so bad ... Eder is great as a tank :p

Edited by Arctic