After some play I think combat could be improved

Hi all

Early on I loved the combat and feel of the game. I still love the game in general. However, there are aspects to combat that are really frustrating. One particular example is when fighting things like Shadows. Every single time without fail at least two will teleport to my mage and smack the crap out of him before I can do anything. I even leave my wizard back out of the fighting and without fail they still teleport back to him and beat him silly before I can even get a cast off or move a warrior to protect.  He is just too squishy or I don't know what. I think the problem is the combat has way too much reliance on a dedicated sword and board maxed out defense tank. Too MMO like imo. Something definitely feels off about it and I am not quite sure what tweaks to suggest to fix it. I just had to take a break from playing because I got a bit too frustrated. It wasn't that I was loosing the battles it was just irritating to watch the wizard get destroyed every single fight.

The only thing I think could help combat is some tweaking and fixes related to abilities, and tactics or scripts. Even in BG you could script you companions to be ranged or whatever, way, way less micro management, thank goodness for auto attack, if you remember to tell them to attack something.

Hi all

Early on I loved the combat and feel of the game. I still love the game in general. However, there are aspects to combat that are really frustrating. One particular example is when fighting things like Shadows. Every single time without fail at least two will teleport to my mage and smack the crap out of him before I can do anything. I even leave my wizard back out of the fighting and without fail they still teleport back to him and beat him silly before I can even get a cast off or move a warrior to protect.  He is just too squishy or I don't know what. I think the problem is the combat has way too much reliance on a dedicated sword and board maxed out defense tank. Too MMO like imo. Something definitely feels off about it and I am not quite sure what tweaks to suggest to fix it. I just had to take a break from playing because I got a bit too frustrated. It wasn't that I was loosing the battles it was just irritating to watch the wizard get destroyed every single fight.

That's encounter design punishing you for not giving your wizard better defenses/protection in the form of armour, defensive spells or a reserve melee unit to intercept enemies that teleport. If the game didn't provide different scenarios to test your party composition, there would be no challenge.

Clearly, combat doesn't only rely on a dedicated sword and board if it's resulting in the consistent KO of your spell casters. For reference, I don't use a specialized defensive fighter; I have a fighter with a mix of decent armour for protection plus attack speed and no perception resolve min/maxing (Eder), sword/shield and two handed set-up plus a barbarian (custom unit) to help hold the line with a melee load-out for a ranger (Sagani) in the back just in case something slips through.

Edited by View619
  • Like 1