Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Suggestion, if it's not too late: Arachnophobic Mode

Suggestion spiders modal toggles modes

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

geobio

geobio

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 57 posts

Just let modder comunity handle this, thanks.

• PrimeJunta and PhantomEidolon like this

Tylaris

Tylaris

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

Really? I'm not pulling any judgement here, but how are people scared of even animated images? They are only spiders... adorable and cuddly, 

eight legged things that just crawl up your leg and...ehh... I'll probably end up banned for this.

Now if they had placed sharks in this game, that would be a different story. 

And no,  like someone mentioned, especially not clowns... i hate all of them, ever since seeing that crazy one from a horror movie.

Fayd

Fayd

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Geobio, the modding community can handle this, and I assume at some point they will (are mods possible yet, by the way?) but part of my reasoning here is to keep the same intended atmosphere and to keep Obsidian's intended XP curve in place.

Still, it will get solved that way, more likely than not, but it would be nice to get something a bit more thorough and intended.

RottenBrain

RottenBrain

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

TBH, I don't know if ettercaps (or their equivalent) would be better (honestly, my preferences would lean towards cave reptiles), but it's at least something to consider.

I don't have arachnophobia and video game spiders generally don't freak me out (the ones in System Shock 2 though...) but I find Ettercaps a lot more unsettling than spiders XD

PhantomEidolon

PhantomEidolon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

While i can sympathize with this as someone that has a phobia of snakes, i would honestly just let the modding community handle that.

Spiders should be replaced with clowns.

Clowns with half their face missing that carry machetes.

Clown.gif

Fayd

Fayd

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

...Oh that's bothering me. I can't figure out WHICH demon clown is in that gif.

I know mods are one way to do it, I suppose... Does anyone know if a mod interface/tools are incoming?

jackjack

jackjack

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Steam:Jack-jAk
I believe we have Tolkien to thank for giant spiders, (though I could be wrong), along with a large number of other overused, tired fantasy tropes. I wouldn't mind this as a simple toggle switch, but it's certainly not a high-priority item.

egosavar

egosavar

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I can confirm that there's a considerable amount of arachnophobic gamers who want to buy and enjoy this game but unfortunately no one has come up with a solution for this.

Fardragon

Fardragon

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1456 posts

I believe we have Tolkien to thank for giant spiders, (though I could be wrong), along with a large number of other overused, tired fantasy tropes. I wouldn't mind this as a simple toggle switch, but it's certainly not a high-priority item.

I think we have some people being afraid of spiders to thank for giant spiders.

If you want to invent a scary monster, you are going to base it on something people are scared of, aren't you?

I seem to recall Ariadne being changed into a giant spider back in ancient Greek times.

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

Well I'm mildly arachnophobic as well (there's no way in hell I'm going anywhere near spider-related quests in Skyrim with a melee character), but PoE's spiders didn't really leave much of an impression.

R.Alexander

R.Alexander

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I guess I am mildly arachnophobic. Small spiders don't bother me, but large, hairy ones freak me out. While going through the endless paths, I had fun killing all the spiders, but then I saw the spider queen and turned around and left. I haven't been back there since.

• NightRevan likes this

EdwinP

EdwinP

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 216 posts

Insect creature suggestion:

Giant ants (with bite that does constant damage until the ant is killed and the bite is released)

Giant flying wasps (they can fly over your tanks).

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7650 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

based on the title alone, we thought this were gonna be an appeal for an all-spider version o' poe... which would actual be kinda funny. have all foe models be replaced with one o' the various spider or vithrack models.  is likely not what the genesis poster wants, but is at least as funny as big-head mode, though considerable more work.

HA! Good Fun!

Krajzen

Krajzen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

I don't want to be rude but IMHO the real solution should be to treat phobia itself :p I suffered on very deep social phobia years ago (almost not talking to anyone except few people and being extremely awkward, extremely anxious) but managed to get rid of it almost completely to the point of 'doing socially fairly well'. There are psychologists, there are therapies, often free and often online.

Are you going to run away from all amazing stories and unique experiences just because there is a <harmless IRL> little animal somewhere in them? This is not a solution, this is being defeated by mental issue. I unfortunately used to run away from my depressive/anxiety disorders for years before finally kicking them out.

• Poddmeister likes this

Barleypaper

Barleypaper

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I could understand not wanting to fight spiders in a first person game. But this is isometric and party based; surely you're too far disconnected (psychically and mechanically) from the action to be bothered by it to the point of unplayability. Maybe I'm underestimating the phobia.

Hrrunstar

Hrrunstar

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Irrational fear is irrational fear and no fun if it stops one from playing.  Building additional art assets, dialogue, etc. for critters that could mimic <spider, snake, etc.> and provoke a similar atmosphere?  That may be to corner case for the devs to devote much time for; given the budget required for bug stomping and game improvements.  If a modding community is allowed/encouraged, then it seems the perfect place for this kind of alteration.  Though it would be interesting to know the percentage of phobic individuals wanting to play these types of games, since that would be very informative to people who would want to serve that community in a commercial product.

Krajzen

Krajzen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts

Irrational fear is irrational fear and no fun if it stops one from playing.  Building additional art assets, dialogue, etc. for critters that could mimic <spider, snake, etc.> and provoke a similar atmosphere?  That may be to corner case for the devs to devote much time for; given the budget required for bug stomping and game improvements.  If a modding community is allowed/encouraged, then it seems the perfect place for this kind of alteration.  Though it would be interesting to know the percentage of phobic individuals wanting to play these types of games, since that would be very informative to people who would want to serve that community in a commercial product.

Personally I'd kick spiders the hell out this game for another reason:

*groan* Oh come on, again giant spiders in fantasy setting?!

Same with idiotic concept of slime enemies. I have never understood D&D obsession with such retarded enemy types: spiders, slimes, ants, giant wasps; they are all stupid, not serious, boring as lame.

I am thankful PoE doesn't have rats at least. In Drakensang the most difficult to defeat enemy was not one of 3 dragons you encounter, not necromant wizard or demon lord but rat queen in a cave under a city, surrounded by respawning rats. But that could be expected - Drakensang was so incredibly bland, unoriginal fantasy it was giving me nausea with blatantly copying each and every asset from class C fantasy books.

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

Clicks

Clicks

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
I support this simply because I'm bored of fighting spiders in RPGs! I hope for the sake of our arachnophobic friends that a mod emerges.

Fardragon

Fardragon

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1456 posts

I think we should have a mod that removes all dungeons for people who are claustrophobic, all outdoor areas for agoraphobics, and all ladders, mountains and deep holes for acrophobics.

• Wulfburk likes this

aluminiumtrioxid

aluminiumtrioxid

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1498 posts

I think we should have a mod that removes all dungeons for people who are claustrophobic, all outdoor areas for agoraphobics, and all ladders, mountains and deep holes for acrophobics.

How original.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Suggestion, spiders, modal toggles, modes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users