If im not mistaken it uses the accuracy of the weapon you have in your hand, plus whatever accuracy bonus is specified in the spell

You are mistaken. Accuracy for weapon includes bonuses that only affect specific weapons. If I have a staff and weapon focus peasant, I'm not getting +6 accuracy to my spells because I have a quarterstaff in hand.

Otherwise I'd have all my casters using a single Rapier/Spear with WF for them just to have highest spell accuracy possible.

I can only tell you that you're wrong though, I unfortunately don't know exactly how spell accuracy is calculated right now.

From tested stuff:

Character have Accuracy stat, that is used for everything - swords, guns, spells, talents. Each Class have its own starting Accuracy.

Weapon attribute (fine, accurate) and Weapon Focus talent applies only for regular attacks with that weapon, not for spells. Marksman - only for ranged weapons, not for spells.

Shield equipped decrease all accuracy (attacks, spells, talents) - count it as overall debuff.

Wood Elf racial Distant Advantage add Acc to everything (attacks, spells, talents) if target far enough (yeah, really good for casters).

Each Spell/Power/Talent  have its own Acc mod (for spells usually +10) and target defense its used for. If spell target Will, then Acc compared to Will, if target Deflect - compared with Deflect. Also it seems that spells go with additional +10 besided mod mentioned at description (maybe as one-handed attack or something).

Correct me if Iam wrong.

Edited by ErlKing

• 1 year later...

I'm gonna resurrect this one as ive actually wondered how exactly I can raise my spell accuracy. Now with so many patches later aswell as a couple of addons, is there anything new to this now? By reading this thread I take it that there aren't much you can do for ur spell accuracy?

Spell accuracy increases, I think, +1 per level (above and beyond the +3 per level). That basically offsets weapon enchants. Most spells also have inherent accuracy bonuses listed in their description. This is meant to compensate for casters typically low base accuracy.

Other ways to improve it is having high Perception. "General" accuracy increases, like the paladin aura (or multi class talent) will help as well as spells like Bless. Gauntlets of accuracy I believe will also apply to spells. Keep in mind that medium and large shields will hurt spell accuracy.

Perhaps the best way to increase accuracy is to decrease your opponents defenses. Many afflictions give large defense penatlies. Some -20 or more to certain defenses (reflex/will/fort/deflection)

Edited by Braven

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

After all that time, I wonder if we know more about the mechanic of weapon accuracy and spell damage (hit, critical hit) ..

All spells have +10 accuracy when they are launched (The global accuracy increase  +3 per level), but does the accuracy of the weapon increase the accuracy of the Wizard spells or Druid/Priest ? (someone said no in that topic - and took the example of the rapier) - But 6 month later do we know more ? 

My character is a Wizard, and I am hesitating between "Weapon focus Noble" (+6 accuracy for Wand and Rods) and the elemental damage, are the +6 accuracy really important for a wizard ? specially if the weapon accuracy don't increase the spells accuracy ?

PS : While I was re-rolling my character I tried Marksman, and it doesn't increase the accuracy of the wand/scepter/rod... Some players on other forums recommended to use Marksman for wizards, but I don't know, I see no effect in accuracy with a magical weapon equipped...

I would be interested in any recommandation ...

Thanks

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

All spells have +10 accuracy when they are launched (The global accuracy increase  +3 per level), but does the accuracy of the weapon increase the accuracy of the Wizard spells or Druid/Priest ?

No. Weapon accuracy has nothing to do with spell accuracy. The only exception is: using a one handed, single weapon will give a Chanter +12 ACC for some of his chants and invocations (not all). I guess it's a bug. Has always been there though.

All spells' accuracy is calculated as follows: your base accuracy (determined by your class starting value, PER bonus/malus and +3 per level), the bonus the spell has (most have +10, but there are also ones with no bonus or with +15 bonus) AND +1 per character level because it's an active ability. All active abilites in PoE gain +1 ACC per char level (compared to auto-attacks, which don't).

My character is a Wizard, and I am hesitating between "Weapon focus Noble" (+6 accuracy for Wand and Rods) and the elemental damage, are the +6 accuracy really important for a wizard ? specially if the weapon accuracy don't increase the spells accuracy ?

If you use summoned weapons like Minor Blights a lot - or if you shoot with your implement a lot then yes, it's totally worth it. If you are using mostly spells then no.

There are implements that do something on crit. For example the Rod of Pale Shades causes stun on crit - with the AoE of the blast, too. If you want to use that you should def. get the +6 accuracy.

PS : While I was re-rolling my character I tried Marksman, and it doesn't increase the accuracy of the wand/scepter/rod... Some players on other forums recommended to use Marksman for wizards, but I don't know, I see no effect in accuracy with a magical weapon equipped...

It works, but you must be farther away than 4 meters (or was it 7 meters? Can't remember). Because of this precondition the bonus is not displayed on the character sheet. But you can see the effect in the combat log. Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

All spells have +10 accuracy when they are launched (The global accuracy increase  +3 per level), but does the accuracy of the weapon increase the accuracy of the Wizard spells or Druid/Priest ?

No. Weapon accuracy has nothing to do with spell accuracy. The only exception is: using a one handed, single weapon will give a Chanter +12 ACC for some of his chants and invocations (not all). I guess it's a bug. Has always been there though.

All spells' accuracy is calculated as follows: your base accuracy (determined by your class starting value, PER bonus/malus and +3 per level), the bonus the spell has (most have +10, but there are also ones with no bonus or with +15 bonus) AND +1 per character level because it's an active ability. All active abilites in PoE gain +1 ACC per char level (compared to auto-attacks, which don't).

If you use summoned weapons like Minor Blights a lot - or if you shoot with your implement a lot then yes, it's totally worth it. If you are using mostly spells then no.

There are implements that do something on crit. For example the Rod of Pale Shades causes stun on crit - with the AoE of the blast, too. If you want to use that you should def. get the +6 accuracy.

It works, but you must be farther away than 4 meters (or was it 7 meters? Can't remember). Because of this precondition the bonus is not displayed on the character sheet. But you can see the effect in the combat log.

Thank You for your answers ..:)

So Weapon focus talents are a must-have if you use a lot your weapon or summoned weapons, good to know..

About Marksman, I just tested it in the stronghold without any enemy I took the talent, and compared the accuracy (before and after - I took in count the +3 accuracy per level), so my test wasn't in fight mode ... I should have take the presence of enemy in count..

I am thinking to take the Interrupting blow talent on my wizard, I wonder if interrupt work like accuracy (If the wizard/druid/priest spells have their own interrupt  not calculated by perception, or if interrupting blow and perception count in the spells).. I read somewhere it count, but I would like to have a confirmation...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

Yes, it counts.

Interrupting Blows with Minor Blights or Golden Gaze + Blast is a nice combo.

Also when using spells that "pulse" like Wicked Briars and such.

Your chance to interrupt can be boosted by high PER, Interrupting Blows and some items (for example Mourning Gloves or Arthek's Cord).

Also, lowering enemies Concentration helps (Expose Vulnerabilities, chant, Wind's Arm Pollaxe and so on).

There is no way to directly influence the length of an interrupt (how strong it is). Those numbers are tied to the spell/ability/weapon.

If you have low PER I wouldn't bother with interrupts though. Because PER is the biggest slap of your interrupt chance and if it's very low your interrupt chance will suck anyways.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Interrupting blows is really good for a wizard. Interrupts do use perception (which makes them more likely to land), and spells do interrupt. Wizards have a lot of hazard fields that pulse and trigger interrupts - if you're using a lot of Chill Fog (you are aren't you?) and walls you'll generate a lot of interrupts, which interrupting blows enhance.

Don't take it over critical stuff obviously (blast, veil etc) but I almost always end up taking it on a wizard in a party.

• Like 1

I took Veil first but never used it, when I re-rolled my character (wizard) I decided to replace it with interrupt blows (Veil last only 10-12 seconds)... and there is other ability which do almost the same effect ... (all the double spells) ..

Sadly interrupting blow is not enough to interrupt a dragon :)

Equipped my wizard have 17 perception, and 36 interrupt (including Interrupting blow talent)..

Edited by fced

If interrupt value + d100 roll > concentration then an interrupt happens. Dragons have crazy high resolve (20+ - and therefore high concentration) - it's difficult to interrupt them. They also have very high defenses. You have to hit them in the first place before you can interrupt them. ;)

Arcanve Veil stacks with the other deflection buffs like Wizard's Double or Mirrored Image. That's what makes it so good. You can make yourself untouchable for over 10 seconds with this combo.

Edited by Boeroer

You are right, it should be a good idea, usually if I am in danger I can use teleport or confuse enemies, at lease not Craghold enemies;)

The biggest troubles I got in POE was against the Alpine dragon (tried 3 times at lv 9 before I understand this enemy was 4 or 5 lv on top of me - After doing some search on google  I decided to return later with some more levels)...

Cragholdt Bluffs was extremely difficult I was low level when I gone there for the first time, and had a very hard time, I returned later with higher lv, I had no troubles against the mercenaries, but some of the magic creatures are extremely hard to kill (the death warden ? - not sure about her name in English - those dead enemies in black armor - wow), and also all those magic creatures which are immune to confuse and send a ice beam from far, most of my crows controls spells was useless here (it is not the better place for a wizard to have some good time - very frustrating)
I will not speak about Cragholdt itself (Concelhaut and his minions - OMG - i spend a very very hard time, finally I got him in the corridor - I sent Eder there and we waited out of the room) - This place can be very frustrating, It was my hardest fight... 

The fight against the Master of Cad nua was a piece of cake in comparison to Concelhaut...

Edited by fced