Hey all, I've been suffering from a tough bout of re-rolling now characters since I got this game. I just want to progress and get in the story! I have noticed that I have grown soft and rusty when it comes to playing infinity engine style games. I need a class that will help me get the grasp of the system while progressing through the game. I would also like to play a class that is not too passive, I usually get bored fast if I'm not too involved with my PC. I typically run melee classes, but have no qualms about casters either. Any advice would be much appreciated! I also plan on hovering around easy/normal until I get my footing in the game. Thanks.

If you want a not-too-passive melee class, I suggest a Monk. 

They gain a resource called "Focus" by taking damage that can be expended for activated effects.  And they're pretty flexible-- they can be fragile and high-damage (the idea being to build Focus quickly and take down opponents fast), well-armored and durable, or somewhere in-between.  A min-max'er would say to pick one extreme and go for it, but a build that is somewhere in the middle works, too, as you can then alter your approach via different equipment loadout and tactics based on what you're fighting and who your companions are.  They're one class that really does get something rather useful out of every character attribute. 

Cipher is what I picked and I love mine.  It doesn't do the once per encounter nonsense or the 4 spells per rest crap.. you start with enough 'mana' to cast about 2 spels every encounter, you punch things and get mana to cast more spells.  I am dual wielding on mine for the ultra fast attack speed but blunderbuss would be pretty good too I think if what I read about each pellet counting as a hit so each would give mana from soul whip and one could offset the slow attack speed with lighter armor than I use.  Ciphers also have basically every status effect in the game avail to them, some relative dmg spells and more.  Anything I can stun, I can chain stun to make it never able to touch me or mine.  They do seem to have a lot of spells that attack will though so some enemies with high will might be a pain.

Having said that, I don't know the first thing about a monk but if they got to get hit to get mana then that sounds kinda bad.  Druid is supposed to be the most overpowered class in the game so its prolly a solid choice and chanters.. donno how strong they are but the NPC one I got pretty early has been pretty cool.  I wouldn't do wizard since you get 1 right out of the gate and a priest shortly after.  Rogue looks pretty fun but I'm not currently interested and am even less interested in making any of the heavy melee classes.  Would rather my main be a class I enjoy and just hire some tanks at the inn or whatnot.  The chanter and the warrior you get almost at the first are good enough of a front line for that matter if your not picky.

Edited by vistani

I went with a Cipher.  Super fun and easier to use than other 'magic user' classes.  If you are struggling (i.e. dieing a lot) consider hiring some level 1 fighters.  Cheap and really help out in the beginning.  I have hired two.  I suggest putting enough points into Mechanics to reach level 5 so you can handle traps and locks.

I appreciate all the comments from everyone. Cipher and monk were two classes I was intrigued by just by browsing the class list. I just have two questions. 1. I see that many people suggest dual wielding weapons on a monk because there's no way to enchant a monks fist or gloves. Is a 2h monk viable? Like a quarterstaff monk of some sort? 2. What is a good weapon combo for a ranged cipher? I see a lot of people suggest blunderbuss for the soul whip focus gain. Would the second weapon slot be a melee weapon or a quicker ranged weapon like a war bow?