[Linux] Extreme amount of screen shaking on some spells

El Zoido

Question

I have noticed this once or twice, but never as bad:

I just fought two ogres and an Ogre Druid on level 2 of the Endless Paths (normal difficulty).

Some spell/ability of the Ogre Druid apparently causes massive amounts os screen shaking.

I don't know if it's supposed to be a novel way of making spells affect the player ;) but the game became unplayable for several seconds, until the effect subsided again.

My system:

System:   

Kernel: 3.13.0-43-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca Cinnamon
CPU:      

Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 965 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm)
Graphics: 

Card: NVIDIA GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.113 Direct Rendering: Yes

Edited by El Zoido

7 answers to this question

Yeah, I can confirm that problem.

I personaly scrole the map, enter the menu and such things, after a while, it seems to be ok.

I have the feeling, that this reduces the time needed while watching the fight... but I might be wrong ;P

Without pausing, it needs several seconds, which is definitly too much infight time in later fights.

I hope it will anyway be fixed in an upcoming patch, but at least in Linux it can be fixed by starting the game in a terminal with

LANG=C ./start.sh

That forces Linux to use the default locale for the game, which prevents some internal calculations from going haywire due to using a different locale that uses different notation for the decimal point in numbers (as e.g. german does). The same issue is also responsible for wrong water levels and inflated prices after getting an discount in some shops.

For Windows users it might help to set the in-game language to english (not sure though).

yes, in Windows if you set the language to english everything is fine. If you set it in italian, Ondra's gift is flooded (badly, not cause of the tide) and some spells cause extreme shaking (i.e fireball at least does)

Isn't there a way to fix the "comma" value that causes the bug manually without waiting for a patch?

And if a patch comes out and solves this, will it be compatible with my savegame ?

Thank you