int causes penalties for healing? explain duration to me

curi

Question

so, if i understand right, if you have higher int, heal over times like the wound binding and field triage talents heal the same amount over a longer time period? (i think the amount of healing is determined by might's heal bonus, and is separate from the duration).

so that's just bad right? more int stat = worse effect (same effect, but slower, is worse)? seems wrong. am i misunderstanding something or is this a design error?

10 answers to this question

On the surface, it does seem broken. But, apparently, INT bonuses get applied properly to HoT or DoT abilities....

I don't think that's how int works. I tested this with a Wizard and the Corrive Siphon ability (33.33 damage over 10 seconds) and no matter my int value, I tested at 19 int and 42 int (with console commands), it ticked on application, again every 3 seconds and when the debuff expired. More int = longer duration dot = more ticks. For example, with 19 int I had +45% duration which increased the duration from 10 seconds to 14.5 seconds. The DoT ticked on the initial application of the DoT, every 3 seconds after the application and when the DoT faded. Since the time between the second to last DoT tick and the removal of the DoT was less than 3 seconds the final tick only did partial damage, 7 instead of 9. (2.5/3)*9=7.5, which got rounded down to 7.

This needs more testing, of course.

On the surface, it does seem broken. But, apparently, INT bonuses get applied properly to HoT or DoT abilities....

I don't think that's how int works. I tested this with a Wizard and the Corrive Siphon ability (33.33 damage over 10 seconds) and no matter my int value, I tested at 19 int and 42 int (with console commands), it ticked on application, again every 3 seconds and when the debuff expired. More int = longer duration dot = more ticks. For example, with 19 int I had +45% duration which increased the duration from 10 seconds to 14.5 seconds. The DoT ticked on the initial application of the DoT, every 3 seconds after the application and when the DoT faded. Since the time between the second to last DoT tick and the removal of the DoT was less than 3 seconds the final tick only did partial damage, 7 instead of 9. (2.5/3)*9=7.5, which got rounded down to 7.

This needs more testing, of course.

is he saying the dot ticks are the same damage no matter what his int is, in addition to same frequency? that isn't really clear from what you quote.

so it could just be tooltip bugs, basically?

i'll test with my field triage next time i'm hurt.

is he saying the dot ticks are the same damage no matter what his int is, in addition to same frequency? that isn't really clear from what you quote.

Damage always ticks when the DoT is applied, every three seconds after that and when the DoT expires. The longer the duration, the more damage gets done (with the same DPS).

The tooltip is borked.

So...am I understanding that INT just stretches out the amount of healing/damage over a longer period of time due it's duration bonus? It doesn't add a new tick of healing/damage?

Ability A has a duration of 10 seconds...

- tick when the DoT gets applied, tick at 3 seconds, tick at 6 seconds, tick at 9 seconds and a tick at 1/3 the power when the DoT expires

Ability A with an INT bonus has a duration of, let's say, 16 seconds...

- tick when the DoT gets applied, tick at 3 seconds, tick at 6 seconds, tick at 9 seconds, tick at 12 seconds, tick at 15 seconds  and a tick at 1/3 the power when the DoT expires

All the ticks deal equal damage (except the last one in cases where it applies only a fraction of the tick damage (due to not fulfilling the "3 seconds" requirement))

i did a test and this game doesn't make sense.

i had a guy at 28 hp. i had field triage that said it would heal 50.8 over 9.5s. it healed 65.

it was cast by an 11 int druid, which is why it was 9.5 (really 9.45 rounded up) from a base of 9.

so if you take the 50.8 and then multiply by 1.05 for doing extra from extra duration, you get 53.34 total healing, not even close to 65.

the druid has 19 might, +27%, but that already affects the tooltip. or so i thought.

here is my best guess at what happened.

if you take 50.8 and multiply by 1.27 you get 65.

so the tooltip must have already added more healing to factor in the extra duration from int, but did not factor in Might. i think? doesn't make much sense.