Can I play PoE with a 4870 HD ATI Graphics Card, and enjoy it?

Nivar

Question

So at one point I am sure I saw the minimum graphics requirment was a 4850 HD ATI card, but I went to buy it on GoG and this is their minimum requirements:

http://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_champion_edition

Minimum system requirements - Mac: OS X 10.7+
Processor:   Intel Core i5-540M @ 2.53 GHz
Memory:      4 GB RAM
Graphics:     ATI Radeon HD 6750M or NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Hard Drive:  14GB free space

My gaming system is a Windows 7 OS, i7 920 @ 2.66GHz, 4870 DK HD ATI, 6 GB of triple channel RAM, WD Black HDD.  I am not sure how the i7-920 compares with an i5-540M, but I am mostly concerned about the 6750 HD ATI graphics card minimum.

Will I be able to play this game with my 6 year old 4870 HD?  If it matters, IWD, NWN, KoToR all played fine.

Edited by Nivar

6 answers to this question

Since I am (aside from the 32-bit-Bug) able to play the Game just fine with a slower Intel Core 2 Duo and a ATI 5750 I`d say: yes.

After all your Card was one of the "Top of the Lone" of its TIme while GOG`s recommended ATI Card is a "budget reduced version" and the real Abilities of Cards ahsn`t changed that much in the last few years (aside from the most recent generations, say the last 1.5 years).

However, I cannot guarantee that my assessment is correct.

• Like 1

I'm playing with an ATI HD4850. My processor is an Phenom 9750 at 2.4 GHz. Both have lower spec (much lower for the processor) than yours.

I'm not very far into the game and haven't played big fights yet. So far, my only complaint is the loading time. I'm using a slower hard drive than you, that may explain it a bit.

• Like 1