To be blunt: Hope Eternal, inexplicable weapon rarity and the short end of the stick

So if the Morning Star doesn't have 2 damage types... what is it's "thing", now? I don't see any special quirk for the weapon that sets it apart (2 damage types, DR bypass, etc). Am I missing something?

s'posedley, too many other weapons had dual damage types, so to make morningstars unique, they upped the interrupt chance... but  interrupt were complete changed after beta 430, so now it is interrupt duration that has increased. 

am thinking that going back to dual damage types would be better balance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Wael are doomed???

Rods are a great choice on a squishy Priest, and quarterstaffs get reach.

crpgs have programed people to think that the quarterstaff is a sucky weapon for candy arsed wizards.  the poe quarterstaff is a most unappreciated weapon and we look forward to playing a combat priest o' wael (too close to weal for a dyslexic like Gromnir) who takes incomprehensible revelation, peasant weapon focus and 2h weapons talents.

HA! Good Fun!

And the first Superb unique I found was a quarterstaff, too. You won't lack for material if you stay frosty.

Addendum: I was completely wrong about the Wael talent. It might even be the best one for a defensive priest, thanks to the combination of reach and a ranged weapon. 

Quarterstaves were actually pretty good in the old IE games. Staff of Striking backstabs, anyone? Staff of the Ram? Also those weird transforming staves I never found a use for.

So if the Morning Star doesn't have 2 damage types... what is it's "thing", now? I don't see any special quirk for the weapon that sets it apart (2 damage types, DR bypass, etc). Am I missing something?

They have the strongest interrupt effect. Theirs is 1.0 compared to .75 of other 2-handed weapons. I haven't tried using them because such an amazing bonus seems game breaking.

Hmm. Hardly seems game-breaking to me... interrupts don't occur *super* often, and even if you're interrupting on every attack that's only 1/4 of a second extra interrupt time from any other 2H weapon.

Not that it seems bad, granted. But far from game-breaking IMO. Estoc is much more so, at least, if we're talking about OP 2H weapons. :p

I just can't get d&d priest out of my head, so rods are a big no for my priests. They just look so out of place flinging those magic thingies.

So, Durance is on natural staff/handgun path. And with my Eothas priest I went with ranged weaponry. High dexterity, and arques. I took one look at his Eothasian speciality and went away. Spell is lousy, and close weapons are useless for a priest. Priest are also inexplicably without self boosting abilities. That's something that Wizard and Druid have, making them both much better close quarters fighters.

Priests still aren't bad. By lvl 7 they already have huge amount of spells available. And even low levels stay useful, so they can keep flinging them all the time without much need for anything else, but they are still very onesided. aoe effects, very few offensive spells, and quite lousy fighting abilities makes them fit for only one role.

In that way all priest specialities are crap and out of place. They look like something left from d&d that's in just for the heck of it. For priests to be competent fighters. They'd need pikes, ranged weapons, and some self boosting spells.

Edited by dododad

So you find it odd for a priest to use a rod ... But an arquebus is completely fine?

Id say the quarterstaff and rod are totally the most fitting weapons for a priest.

depends on the priest, eh?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)