Map texture problems

janinko

Question

22 answers to this question

Did you try to verify your game files, if you are running it on steam?

Otherwise, it may be an issue with either the opensource drivers or your graphic card dying.

If it doesn't kill you, it just missed its target.

Yes, I have it on steam and I have tired verify my game files. I tried quit and load the game, load different save and go there again, nothing helps.

It looks to me that the texture wasn't loaded properly and instead there is just some memory junk. Every time I start the game and load the artifacts are different, but consists of squares some of which are parts of previous map texture (bridge) and some just random junk.

I am seeing something similar, but a little different.

I'm running PoE via Steam, on an iMac Bootcamped to Win7.

When I open up the area map, large parts of it appear blurred out, including areas I have explored and cleared the fog of war.

If the map has a point of interest, as soon as I mouse over one of these points, the blur goes away.

On maps without any POIs, *usually* mouse hovering over the toggle to go from area map to world map, or the area around there, will make the blur go away. In both cases, as soon as I move my mouse off of that area, the blur returns. 

I'm at work now, but could screenshot and upload if it would help any.

Also, not a bug per se, but the area map is so very very dark. Upping gamma doesn't do much good. Is there any way to make the map brighter?

--Gray

I managed to start the game again with the graphic card plugged in. The issue is back. My graphic card is Radeon HD 5770.

Output from Player.log when going to the Copperlane map:

(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
------- BEGIN LEVEL LOAD INITIATED --------        Pending level = AR_0101_Copperlane_Exterior.
(Filename: /BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/LinuxStandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)
Checking to instantiate global...
Checking to instantiate in game global...
-------- LEVEL LOAD COMPLETE --------        Level = AR_0101_Copperlane_Exterior. 
UnloadTime: 84.937996 ms
Checking to instantiate global...
Checking to instantiate in game global...
Unloading 13 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 9 / Dirty serialized files: 0)
Unloading 6562 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 103341.
Total: 145.332001 ms (FindLiveObjects: 6.454000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 7.630000 ms MarkObjects: 80.431000 ms  DeleteObjects: 50.638000 ms)
Unloading 3 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 10 / Dirty serialized files: 0)
Unloading 21963 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 130608.
Total: 741.303040 ms (FindLiveObjects: 9.516000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 13.673000 ms MarkObjects: 685.484009 ms  DeleteObjects: 32.506001 ms)
Tier2Backer cannot be loaded because the asset bundle type is not supported!

A thought: try to launch the game with the proprietary drivers see if it changes anything?

Before that, try a quick benchmark with glmark2 and glmark2-es2 or glxgears , the packages should be present in fedora 21's repository. Check your system logs for errors. Also try to launch others Unity/3D games to see if the issue is global or just with this game. The thing is, if you have issues with everything it is likely that your hardware is failing.

Note that for your graphic card, some functions are still marked as "TODO" in the drivers wiki. Evergreen is your graphic card's family. Yet I doubt it has anything to do with your troubles.

Finally, I think the last thing you can hope for is for a dev to reproduce your issue.

If it doesn't kill you, it just missed its target.

I tried glmark2, glmark2-es2 and glxgears. Everything was ok, glmark score around 2825, nothing suspicious in journalctl. If it would be faulting graphic card it wouldn't IMHO be so deterministic.

I don't know if I have any other Unity3D game, I only know about several 2D games and they worked fine.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to test proprietary drivers as I read there were several issues with Fedora 21 and Gnome (and I would rather not destroy my OS while trying to make it work :) ).

I am experiencing the same texture corruption on Linux (Gentoo, 3.19.3-gentoo, xf86-video-ati-7.5.0, mesa-10.5.2, Radeon HD 6670) except it can occur when loading any map at random. Occasionally reloading the map either via a saved game or traveling to a different location and back with correct it. Rebooting the system will clear it up for a while.  I've been laying the blame on a bug in the radeon open source drivers or mesa.

Imgur album

Installing fglrx would probably fix it, but I'd rather put up with this issue than fglrx's issues.

Same issue here, reproduced on 1.0.3 and 1.0.4.

I put an archive containing some relevant files on my server:

http://www.dotslashplay.it/extras/poe-graphic-bug.zip

'SavedGames' contains a savegame before loading the zone, and one after

'TempSaveData' & 'loadedSave.zip' are the contents of POE cache directory

'dmesg.txt' is the error I get that is reported in Player.log

'screenshots' contains two screenshots of the issue

My setup:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor

GPU: Radeon HD 6670

RAM: 8G

(full hardware list there: http://www.dotslashplay.it/extras/lshw.html)

distribution: Debian unstable "Sid" amd64

kernel: linux 3.16.7

graphic driver: radeon 7.5.0

graphic server: X.org 7.7

Edited by vv221

Well, looks like this bug might be related to the 'radeon' free driver.

Could other people experimenting this bug (be it systematic or random) post the GPU and graphic driver they’re using when encountering this bug?

janinko & linuxfiend:

I fully understand you here, 'fglrx' non-free driver is such a mess than nothing could make me install it, not even such a great game than PoE.

Edited by vv221

Nope. Still not displaying correctly. But maybe they've gotten it to work for some systems? That's a good sign. original.gif

Well, I might just have been lucky and the resolution was actually due to something else (I rebooted my system since last try amongst other things).

I’ll try to see if by reverting my game version back to 1.0.4 I can trigger the bug again.

Looks like we’re all using ATI/AMD GPU with the 'radeon' free driver…

If anyone did experience this bug with another GPU/driver, please post here so that we don’t follow a false lead.

I’m using a Debian unstable "Sid", so I should get driver updates rather quickly.

Should I find a release that get rid of this bug definitely, I’ll share it here.

One thing that bothers me: why is this a near-random problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy%27s_law

More seriously, I think it is somehow linked to the RAM usage (or video RAM usage), seeing as it appears more frequently on large maps.

I still need to run more tests, but I have yet to find a reliable way to reproduce the bug.

I am having the same issue. I only encountered it on the area before the Guilded Vale. Half of the map textures were obscured. It seemed to correct itself when I put my mouse cursor over the player character map marker.

None of the other areas I have been to had the problem.

My specs. Win7 64 bit. 3gb Radeon 7950 running latest drivers (as of Dec-15)