Bugs - Damage over Time issues

DrSapca

Question

Few Issues

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)

Intelect interaction with dots:

Dot duration is increased with increased inteligence while damage remains same.

Sample:

Deep Wounds (rogue class talent)

* 10 damage over 10 seconds (10 int)

* 10.2? damage over 13.5 seconds (17 int)

(also where did that 0.2 come from)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2)

Critical Hits with dots:

Sample (Chanters level1 phrase, death something)

4 Damage over 6 seconds.

becomes

6  Damage over 9 seconds.

should become:

6 Damage over 6 seconds.

(check Graze with dots also, probably does 2 damage over 3 seconds)

3)

Maybe bug/probably intentional: Again chanters level1 phrase, does not scale in duration(damage) from intelect.

• Like 2

22 answers to this question

For issue (1); tooltips definitely don't seem to be updating damage for dots properly - my Corrosive Siphon says 33.3 damage no matter the Int value checked against, but the damage quoted in the combat log is definitely changing so that dps stays constant over different durations; for example, at a 13 second duration the combat log shows it hitting for 43.3 damage, which is correct. I would imagine that Deep Wounds is doing the same, though as it doesn't appear in the combat log it's rather hard to check...

As to your issue (2), I'm not seeing how that's an issue - appears to me that it's working exactly as intended; Hit does 4 damage total, Crit does +50% or 6 damage total, and Graze does 50% or 2 damage total. I'd probably agree that this makes dots a weaker choice, as you're waiting longer to get the effect of your crit rather than having it front-loaded melee style, but I disagree that it's a bug.

• Like 1

This bug really needs to get addressed. Having lower INT would reward you in some cases.

"I'm too stupid to wait for the enemy to just die, die now!"

Int should do the very opposite for DoTs - reduce the time it takes to apply the damage. Same for Crits. And if that is the route Obsidian will take - in b4 "my DoT does X damage in -10 seconds!"

If not - the tooltips should update to reflect new total damage (I assumed this is the case now, DPS from spell doesnt change, just the number of seconds)

Edited by Veevoir
  • Like 1

This bug really needs to get addressed. Having lower INT would reward you in some cases.

Int should do the very opposite for DoTs - reduce the time it takes to apply the damage. Same for Crits. And if that is the route Obsidian will take - in b4 "my DoT does X damage in -10 seconds!"

If not - the tooltips should update to reflect new total damage (I assumed this is the case now, DPS from spell doesnt change, just the number of seconds)

That could be problematic if you have a spell that debuffs and deals damage over time (you want to have the debuff to last) or if you want more "hits" to get some special effects (or a more stable dmg by crits vs a big lucky one)

------

I wonder if this error is just a problem of how it is showed/explained to the players:

I think that Dots should be explained with DMG per SEC + TOTAL DURATION & TOTAL DMG, so if the spell is 1 dmg per sec during 5 secs, you know it will deal 5 dmg total. Then INT should increas the "during" part  and it will be intuitive to the player to know that the total dmg is increased thnx to int.

Edited by Naurgalen

Update to Deep Wounds bug:

* 10.3 damage comes from +3% from might bonus (10.3 over 13.5 shown in character sheet)

* Shooting own party members shows 13.5 damage over 13.5 seconds in tooltip. So it might actually work correctly here and it's character sheet tooltip bug.

Damage is not spread over the duration, it is applied on fixed ticks (usually 3 seconds).  So extending DOT duration increases total damage.  There is an issue with the damage shown by the UI that will be fixed in patch 1.04.

• Like 2

So every tooltip is actually wrong? So a spell that would say "15 dmg over 5 seconds" actually deals more than 15 dmg? Around ~22? What if the extra duration doesn't extend to the next tick?

Or would it only do 15 dmg, and you'd need enough INT to extend it to 6 seconds for it to do 30 damage in total?

Edited by Andre

The game has so mane gamebreaking bugs right now that I am seriously surprised that Somehow I got to Nalrand the Wise without major bugs and I play on 2 saves. Perma Dots, perma sickness and so on is really nasty. Had to reload so many many times to unbreak char status :S. Now I am either stuck with permanent sickness or reload before I kill nalrand which wasn't easy fight with perma Insect Plague/swam

@Insolentius that is not exactly the case.

I have gathered my research on DoT spells (Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon to be precise) in an StackExchange:Arcade answer: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/211768/how-often-are-damage-over-time-effects-applied/211791#211791

In short, for some reason damage expected (showed by the game) is in all cases lower than actual damage done. In 10-seconds case when 1 second remains at the end of the spell no damage is done (though 1/3 should be I think). When 2 seconds are left some damage IS done, though not an amount I'd expect (2/3rds when damage was divisible by 3, 1/2 when it wasn't?),

I have also tried testing casting Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon on a party member that either wears or does not wear Corrosion DR armor - and in both cases damage done was the same which suggests that DoT effects are not subject to Damage Reduction.

You mean 1.03 ... or are you planning multiple patches in advance?

1.03 is already built and being tested, so the fix won't be in there - it'll be in the next patch.

So every tooltip is actually wrong? So a spell that would say "15 dmg over 5 seconds" actually deals more than 15 dmg? Around ~22? What if the extra duration doesn't extend to the next tick?

Or would it only do 15 dmg, and you'd need enough INT to extend it to 6 seconds for it to do 30 damage in total?

The issue is that the UI always uses the unadjusted duration of the effect when calculating the total "over time" damage - it does not account for your int bonus.  Also, Insolentius is correct.

• Like 2

1.03 is already built and being tested, so the fix won't be in there - it'll be in the next patch.

BMac, any ETA? Will we receive 1.03 before the weekend?

This Wall doesn't have hole in it.

That could be problematic if you have a spell that debuffs and deals damage over time (you want to have the debuff to last) or if you want more "hits" to get some special effects (or a more stable dmg by crits vs a big lucky one)

------

I wonder if this error is just a problem of how it is showed/explained to the players:

I think that Dots should be explained with DMG per SEC + TOTAL DURATION & TOTAL DMG, so if the spell is 1 dmg per sec during 5 secs, you know it will deal 5 dmg total. Then INT should increas the "during" part  and it will be intuitive to the player to know that the total dmg is increased thnx to int.

yup.  there's a special ability that add 5 burn damage per "hit" (can't recall the name).  so if you have a wide AOE that does DOT.... you WANT that to last longer, as every time the dot goes off that counts as a "hit" for the other ability and the enmies take another 5 burn damage.

Hello, can we know if the patch will be today or tomorrow or early in next week ? Since we don't have any serious news from now, i doubt that the release of this patch is still for this week. ( If this week mean last days of the week..... )

Combat Logging DoT Damage would really help in debugging such things. (remember BG2 - Assassins Poison -  1,1,2,2,2,1,1... hehe)

Right now I'm shooting stuff with Blunderbuss (6 projectiles per shot) and sometimes DeepWounds seem to stack (says like 37.5 damage over 13.5 on party member) and sometimes not.

Also each projectile Sneak Attacks (I'm hitting for like 60-120 and stuff is exploding).

Found another nasty bug testing this but it deserves it's own thread (able to ignore recovery completely, just shot at Eder with Blunderbuss like 3 times per second...)

It doesn't appear to be just a UI bug, as people have been testing various hots that you can see the effect of by watching your endurance number on the character portrait: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73616-high-intelligence-nerfing-dots-and-hots/?p=1612498

Someone on the Steam forums tested Lay on Hands with a 3 Int and 20 Int paladin, result is same amount of endurance healed over different time (so the lower Int paladin heals faster).

Damage is not spread over the duration, it is applied on fixed ticks (usually 3 seconds).  So extending DOT duration increases total damage.  There is an issue with the damage shown by the UI that will be fixed in patch 1.04.

Patch 1.04 didn't fix it. The UI still seems to be broken with Deep Wounds. Look at the tooltip on it, using a character with a high/low INT. It still appears like a higher INT penalizes you, and having a low INT is beneficial.

Edited by Entropy107

1.04 DEEP Wounds

10 int lvl 9 13.3 RAW / 10 seconds

0 ms |Health Damage 15.803299 //sabre hit
+12718 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+4580 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+4565 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+2990 ms |Health Damage 2.625610 //some fluke

0 ms |Health Damage 15.803299 //sabre hit
+29 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+11588 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+4562 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+4565 ms |Health Damage 3.990997

(timings - slow combat on , and I sometimes pause)

+0 ms |Health Damage 15.803299
+3005 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3021 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3130 ms |Health Damage 3.990997

+0 ms |Health Damage 13.803299 // graze + SA
+33 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3003 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3022 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3035 ms |Health Damage 3.990997TLDR .. Deep wounds DOT duration doesn't scale with hit quality ( bug ?) but it does scale with INT..  Mostly an academic issue since in most practical situations the next weapon hit will rest the duration anyway ...

+0 ms |Health Damage 24.803299 //CRIT
+31 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3025 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3026 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3014 ms |Health Damage 3.990997

20 int lvl 9 13.3 RAW / 15 seconds

+0 ms |Health Damage 18.803299
+27 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3158 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3018 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3010 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3019 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+2932 ms |Health Damage 3.900024

+0 ms |Health Damage 13.803299TLDR .. Deep wounds DOT duration doesn't scale with hit quality ( bug ?) but it does scale with INT..  Mostly an academic issue since in most practical situations the next weapon hit will rest the duration anyway ...
+3021 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3011 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3022 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+3001 ms |Health Damage 3.990997
+2926 ms |Health Damage 3.892090

TLDR .. Deep wounds DOT duration doesn't scale with hit quality ( bug ?) but it does scale with INT..  Mostly academic issues since in most practical situations the next weapon hit will rest the duration anyway ...

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg