I know about the talents but that's all I've seen. I'm fairly confused by this. I'm forced to rest so often for healing that it's ruining the rest system. I have no need to ration spells when 4-5 encounters puts several chars into yellow health.

Does this change later into the game somehow?

Yes there is. Field Triage and Wound Binding abilities. Available to all characters should you choose to go that route on level up.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This makes no sense then. So let me see if I understand.

1. They create camping supplies to stop "rest cheesing" of uses per day.

2. Then they create health to force us to rest cheese? Except we can't so now it's inn cheesing?

Yes there is. Field Triage and Wound Binding abilities. Available to all characters should you choose to go that route on level up.

Like I said I know about those. Why would I waste incredibly valuable talent picks instead of just going to the inn constantly?

Edited by Jartan

It doesn't force rest cheese. It forces you to not fight every single battle at full health and with the full complement of spells. So that a dungeon actually feels like a dungeon, instead of "a 5 star hotel where you have the exact same battle x 20". Whether on easy, normal, or hard, it's possible to beat most dungeons with only 2-4 camping rests (that's the difficulty variation right), and many dungeons have at least one or two camping supplies as loot (or people that let you rest).

The game would be way, way, way easier - and also more monotonous - if you could just heal your health up, or rest up, every time.

Like I said I know about those. Why would I waste incredibly valuable talent picks instead of just going to the inn constantly?

Maybe they didn't think you'd waste your time going back to the inn all the time - the cheesiest solution if there ever was one.

• Like 5

Camping supplies works fine for me.
4 rations keeps you going for a quite a while, so travelling back hasn't been a problem for me yet (I play on normal). I get to sell my stuff, i get buffs from sleeping in better rooms etc.. What they should have done is add encounters at the taverns. Meaning when you go back to your favorite tavern to rest, you occasionally would meet new people, get challenged by other adventurers, take on bounties and whatevers...would make the trip back more worth it i guess. But as i said, i haven't really an issue with the system as it is

The problem could be your party or the way you confront those 3-4 encounters.  If your unarmored caster are hitted often they will need to rest every fight ...    Warriors, Paladins and Chanters have a lot of health, and with a good armor they take quite little damage.  

If you need help you can pm me. you can also look for sensuki videos in youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLDoful0qkygJxzwo7UC-gQ he splains a lot of things ... I play in hard and usualy dont rest until my party start to cry couse they traveled for 4 days .. xD. (But those mind control monsters and the teleporting ones ... and the druids .. those make me rest really often xD)

Edited by Arctic

To get the achievement of rest only 4 times in all the game? They give you a lot of options for you to choose, if you want to sleep every 4 hours and fight all the enemies with full health is a option, I choose to try to waste all abilities and have all the players without health.

It doesn't force rest cheese. It forces you to not fight every single battle at full health and with the full complement of spells.

You're drastically misunderstanding what I want to do. I want to never rest (until fatigued). I want to carefully ration my spells. I want to get through an entire dungeon by only resting once.

Health does exactly the opposite of that. It forces me to spam my spells because I'll be forced to rest up soon anyways.

Also there are only 2 rations max for me.

Edited by Jartan
  • Like 2

Jartan, maybe you should consider not throwing away your per rest spells and abilities in every encounter, and try to manage your party so that you don't take so much damage?

The Endurance/Health and Rest systems are there precisely to reward people who play well(Manage their party, their spells and abilities). If you are forced to continually rest, you should reconsider your approach to combat or decrease the difficulty level.

• Like 4

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

It doesn't force rest cheese. It forces you to not fight every single battle at full health and with the full complement of spells.

You're drastically misunderstanding what I want to do. I want to never rest (until fatigued). I want to carefully ration my spells. I want to get through an entire dungeon by only resting once.

Health does exactly the opposite of that. It forces me to spam my spells because I'll be forced to rest up soon anyways.

Also there are only 2 rations max for me.

Why? You shouldn't lose so much health that you are forced to rest up all the time. I ration my spells, and I also take care not to lose health for precisely this reason. If health was easy to heal, it would encourage a very gung ho way of fighting. It's another thing that provides tension and tactical consideration, because if you are careful you can avoid losing any health in some fights.

2 rations max on Hard, yes. I think it's more for Normal/Easy but I play on Hard so I'm not sure. 

All the threads complaining about having to rest to much and not having enough camping supplies...  I am starting to see why people are complaining about the difficulty not being as hard as they think it should be.

I'm not running out of camping supplies. I'm being forced to rest even when I have spells left.

Why? You shouldn't lose so much health that you are forced to rest up all the time. I ration my spells, and I also take care not to lose health for precisely this reason. If health was easy to heal, it would encourage a very gung ho way of fighting. It's another thing that provides tension and tactical consideration, because if you are careful you can avoid losing any health in some fights.

2 rations max on Hard, yes. I think it's more for Normal/Easy but I play on Hard so I'm not sure.

I don't see how you can not lose SOME health every fight. How many fights are you making it through before someone gets low? Take into account I don't want those talents. I'm starting to think the game is trying to force me to go gung ho. The only way to avoid health loss is to use spells far to often.

Edited by Jartan

For example, I cleared levels 3 and 4 of Od Nua last night with a level 6 party (Cipher, Eder, Durance, Sagani), and I rested three times (finding one campinig supply within the dungeon). I could have made it with two rests, if I didn't screw up and get Eder and Durance smashed to low health in one fight. So there's an example where it is not an easy dungeon, and I guess that makes it about 5-6 fights per rest.

(Certainly, when I had Alroth in the party, that meant I was sometimes resting with quite a few per-rest spells still in the bank. But that's not a big deal - what matters is I rarely need to exit the dungeon midway and go back to town.)

And I don't have any of the health-healing talents. Eder is invested with all defensive equipment and Defender mode so he lasts long enough. Durance backs up with the healing and buffing spells every now and then, so that characters don't get stuck at low endurance and start getting their health hammered. Cipher and Sagani generally stay out of the way. Almost every conventional party will have a wealth of paralysis, charm and knockdown abilities, as well as summon items and abilities, and combined with use of chokepoints, my core characters are rarely getting pummeled by more than two or three enemies at any given time. 

Not to mention in cases where you only face 2-3 enemies, you can keep them paralysed or otherwise disabled for most of the fight. 

If you find yourself losing huge chunks of health every battle, without knowing the specifics, one might guess that you are getting into fights that are too tough for you. That might mean lowering difficulty; that might mean investing in some equpiment and tactical changes to protect your characters more. 

I only need to rest after huge engagements if I am playing well, that means actually using my per encounter skills each encounter. The AOE buff from Durance and the nice aoe Stun, the knockdowns from Eder, the boosts from Pell. 

My rogue, who is playing on normal, is ranged, so I have Pell and Eder grab the aggro the rest of us plink stuff to death. If anything gets past the tanks, the druid goes all werewolfy and beats it up.

It's tremendously satisfying and I hardly ever have to camp unless my characters are actually fatigued. If you are camping every 3-4 hours of game time you are playing suboptimally or are on that highest difficulty.

I am guessing in real life active people have to rest after huge battles as well.

So far I quite like the health/endurance system because it keeps me from having to rest too often. Note sure what you are doing wrong OP.

You fight with them low anyways?  I've made it through plenty of scrapes with low health - it's nbd as long as you pay attention to what's going on - the only time it gets really testy is when they're way, way in the red and their endurance gets capped as a result - then a rest may be in order - yellow health is nothing to worry about - they can still go down 1-2 more times and be fine - well... in some of the later dungeons trigger traps may be a bit risky, but on the whole nbd. 

Edited by Gallenger

Have you ever heard of tanks, Jartan? With high DR(Armor) and high Deflection(PER, RES) they can easily go through combat with minimal or no damage. How many fights I can get through without resting depends on what the fights are. Raedric's Hold only required two rests, and I cleared two levels. Going straight for Raedric, I could probably have done it with 1 or no rests. I did the entire Ogre Cave without resting. Occasionally, I'll come across powerful enemies, or mismanage my party so that one of my squishy guys gets hit, and I may have to rest early. I haven't found a wilderness area yet that I couldn't clear without resting.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

For example, I cleared levels 3 and 4 of Od Nua last night with a level 6 party (Cipher, Eder, Durance, Sagani), and I rested three times

That's rest spamming though. I did it in two (which I also considered rest spamming) but I couldn't find a way to get it down to one. No matter what I have to rest twice in there. I expect to be able to do the ENTIRE dungeon resting only once. That's how little I would rest in IE.

that meant I was sometimes resting with quite a few per-rest spells still in the bank. But that's not a big deal

Its a HUGE DEAL. How can I enjoy strategically using my spells when I know I should just spam them out? I could maybe be cheesy with CC but that's really unfun too.

Raedric's Hold only required two rests, and I cleared two levels.

I would prefer doing the entire hold without resting considering it's size. Resting once near the end would be acceptable.

Edited by Jartan

it's possible to beat most dungeons with only 2-4 camping rests (that's the difficulty variation right),

Not that this applies to the OP but just to say, Easy allows 6 camping supplies. So 2-4-6. :)
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It seems like people are completely misunderstanding my post. All of you seem to want to rest spam and say that it's ok. I want the opposite. Think about it. You go into a dungeon and you take 2-3 naps? That's rediculous. The monsters would find you and eat you. That's what camping supplies are supposed to stop.

Edited by Jartan
  • Like 1