Tiers of spells counter-intuitive

Currently, at least for the wizards, every single Tier 2 spells are much, much worse than the Tier 1 spells.

Slicken is REALLY good. Fan of Flame too. The Ice AoE too. Hell, Thrust of tattered veil is useful, and so on...

T2 spells, however? I can't think of a single one that I want to use in a fight. They are unwieldly, do bad damages, or are flat out worse than their T1 equivalent (Slicken >>>>> Web, for example).

Am I missing something, or is this just badly balanced spells?

Currently, at least for the wizards, every single Tier 2 spells are much, much worse than the Tier 1 spells.

Slicken is REALLY good. Fan of Flame too. The Ice AoE too. Hell, Thrust of tattered veil is useful, and so on...

T2 spells, however? I can't think of a single one that I want to use in a fight. They are unwieldly, do bad damages, or are flat out worse than their T1 equivalent (Slicken >>>>> Web, for example).

Am I missing something, or is this just badly balanced spells?

Seemly the spells are terribly balanced.

For example T1 damage spells can frequently out-damage T3 damage spells.

Something is obviously very wrong.

I don't know, Web into the ray of fire + rolling flame is the reason Aloth is far, far ahead of the damage count in my team.
Although Miasma of mind-something divinely f**ks up enemy deflection.
Fetid caress is the best lvl1-2 single target control while necrotic lance is the best lvl 1-2 single target damage burst.

Although, yeah, the rest really looks like it could be lvl 1 without breaking anything balance-related. Concelhaut's siphon is barely usable unless you like to drain life out of your friends :(

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I think they wanted to make sure low level spells continued to be useful, even later in the game. But yes, the balance is terrible, and it's not just for wizards.

So far, out of the first 4 levels of wizard spells, Fan of Flames is by far the best damage spell.

@CaptainMace

"necrotic lance is the best lvl 1-2 single target damage burst"

Well, Necrotic Lance deals 35-45 damage, and Fan of Flames deals 40-55 damage (in a huge aoe).

Edited by dirigible

Sure but fan of flames requires to be close to the target and can affect your mates. Necrotic lance is way safier against single target (which was my point). Although Necrotic lance deals more damage over time after the initial burst.

I don't use fan of flames anymore though, I never get close in combat with Aloth, the pathfinding is such that it's too risky :>

But you're right that Fan of Flames is an op lvl1 spell. Base damage is insane.

Actually they should swap fan of flames damage and fireball damage. Fireball is very disappointing

Edited by CaptainMace

Sure but fan of flames requires to be close to the target and can affect your mates. Necrotic lance is way safier against single target (which was my point). Although Necrotic lance deals more damage over time after the initial burst.

I don't use fan of flames anymore though, I never get close in combat with Aloth, the pathfinding is such that it's too risky :>

Actually they should swap fan of flames damage and fireball damage. Fireball is very disappointing

Eh... Necrotic Lance has a range of 5m.

Fan of Flames also has a range of 5m, but it's range also increases with Intelligence.

Lance DOES deal more damage (about 7 more damage), but it takes 5 seconds for all of that damage to happen.

In my book, Fan of Flames is by far the best nuke spell.

Unrelated, but uh... guys... I think my Aloth might be broken.

OXc7BJx.jpg

I totally disagree.

Fedit Caress - I paralyzed a drake for eloth sake!

Necrotic Lance - holy molly that thing do damage

Miasma of Dullmindness - reduce by (-10) will-related attributes

I need more rings of wizardry, i wanna be edwin the 2nd !!!

58f590887d8fbe1a3ac034b4db2193.jpg

what_can_cb510.png

Yeah you're right about fan of flame, looks like they messed up and swapped its damage with fireball, that does way too little damage in comparison.
Still, the rest is fine. I do think Web is a better version of Slicken though. And gives more crit chance on aoes like, well, fan of flames :>

Your broken intellect comes from an item glitch that I still don't understand. You can even use the console command to fix it, or hope that the first patch retroactively does it, I have the same for mother, whose base intellect is now 16 :') though that's not as insane as yours :p

Edited by CaptainMace
  • Like 1

So yeah, this might be why I love Fan of Flames so much....

Here's my entire party sitting inside the AoE, without being in danger of taking damage...

iGKyrqa.jpg

That image is god-tier.

Looks like

Durance had a very high intellect wizard with him when he fired the godhammer :')

• Like 1

I love Fan of Flames. One of my favourite tactics is to get the attention of a group of enemies with a sneak-attack crossbow hit from my rogue, and draw them around a corner or through a door. I have Aloth waiting nearby, and as soon as they're streaming in, all bunched up, I FoF them. Considering what's guaranteed to happen next, it's essentially a suicide bombing. But I've tried using "legit" tactics with Aloth and he rarely if ever manages to contribute as much through the entire combat as he does with that one hit, assuming I've timed it right.

Yes, I know it's an absurd thing to do, but the combat system here (as it is in any fantasy RPG) is pretty absurd to begin with, so it doesn't bother me much.

Confusion is a level two spell and is damn good. I just think that Fan of Flames needs to be nerfed (switch damage with Fireball), I can understand that positioning is an issue but it's a level 1 spell.

Slicken >>>>>>> Web, Thrust of Tattered veil >>> the second level spell lance, Ice AoE > Fireball.

It's not just one spell, lvl1 spells are probably the best ones till you are really high level.

Confusion is a level two spell and is damn good. I just think that Fan of Flames needs to be nerfed (switch damage with Fireball), I can understand that positioning is an issue but it's a level 1 spell.

Slicken >>>>>>> Web, Thrust of Tattered veil >>> the second level spell lance, Ice AoE > Fireball.

It's not just one spell, lvl1 spells are probably the best ones till you are really high level.

Slicken > Web seems like a preference tbh, since Web is actually different. Depending on what you want to do, it's not surprising that some spells will be rated higher than others. For example, I don't think Ice AoE > Fireball based on the range and aoe differences, I don't think Thrust > Lance based on damage, etc.

The only real issue with the spells that I've found (imo) is FoF damage and the way some wizard self buffs work. Everything else just comes down to situation and preference.

Edited by View619