Not every negative review is from a troll

From what I've seen so far, this is going to be exactly like Divinity Original Sin as far the kids that backed the game refusing to accept the reality about the game. I don't want to say fanboys but hey that's what it is.

I don't think people who toss that word around realize that the opposite of fanboys exist; those who irrationally hate a game purely because they can't believe some people irrationally adore it, like they're trying to balance out the universe or something.

Someone can like the game and not be a fanboy just because you dislike it. Also, just because someone likes it does not mean they think nothing's wrong with it or that there's no room for improvement. And just because SOME people are actually irrational fanboys does not mean that liking the game makes you an irrational fanboy.

I swear, if humanity would learn to stop exaggerating and assuming everything, we could get a lot more done around here, :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Some backers are quite critical of the game. ...And I will point out that I don't know of *any* mods deleting critical post or, more importantly, refusing to approve them in the first place. The only ones I haven't pushed forward, out of undoubtedly hundreds at this point, were questionable in some specific way. That amounts to *maybe* five. So, the idea that Obsidz is paying people to shill sounds kind of crazy. After all, they're letting us push forward all of the critical posts and we mods do it for free.

Yeah, you're going to get some pushback from people who are sometimes more or less blindly loyal. Then again, I have also seen people attack Obsidzians for reasons that appeared on their faces to be blindly antagonistic.

However, the point is that a well considered negative critique, should be welcomed by Obsidz, or anyone else who wants a better product! Don't post nakedly hateful rhetoric filled with profanity and whatnot and you might get a good response from at least some folks.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I find it funny that three years on or so that some players on the Skyrim forums are still whining about the game being broken and badly designed game that no one can play, despite hundreds of thousands of players putting in hundreds of hours each into it.

Still ... oh noes, I remember the poor PS3 players' grief. That means this place won't be calm for a while--yes it will ... if I think positive, think positively. React with tact. All trust, no fuss. Wait kindly, be kindly waited upon. High five!  8)

All Stop. On Screen.

You know, we can have negative critiques about things or even reviews that highlight things we don't like and still enjoy or love the game.  There are several issues I have, that I know will not be changed for this game.  But maybe the designers will take some of these critiques seriously and think about changes in the future for other games.  And let me be clear, I want them to make more games like this and I will support them, financially, even if I don't like certain aspects.  And as soon as they fix those damn game breaking bugs (like double click), I'll start playing the game again.  :yes:

Some backers are quite critical of the game. ...

I am certainly one of them. Overall, I am enjoying the game quite a bit. With some significant modding, this game might turn out to be most everything I hoped for. Is it worthy of Metacritic's score of 92? Not to me, and I have quite a few reasons to say so. Regardless, it's still a very solid game.

Some backers are quite critical of the game. ...And I will point out that I don't know of *any* mods deleting critical post or, more importantly, refusing to approve them in the first place. The only ones I haven't pushed forward, out of undoubtedly hundreds at this point, were questionable in some specific way. That amounts to *maybe* five. So, the idea that Obsidz is paying people to shill sounds kind of crazy. After all, they're letting us push forward all of the critical posts and we mods do it for free.

Yeah, you're going to get some pushback from people who are sometimes more or less blindly loyal. Then again, I have also seen people attack Obsidzians for reasons that appeared on their faces to be blindly antagonistic.

However, the point is that a well considered negative critique, should be welcomed by Obsidz, or anyone else who wants a better product! Don't post nakedly hateful rhetoric filled with profanity and whatnot and you might get a good response from at least some folks.

Absolutely. I do like to think that they look up everyone who is less than complimentary towards the game and secretly mod their copy of the game to give them a hidden -10 penalty to all their rolls, though.

But seriously though, all the negative reviews are totally from trolls, and all the positive reviews are from fanboys.

Yeah, I mean, I'd really love for my dinner tonight to be a lobster dinner. But, that doesn't mean tasty sandwiches aren't tasty just because they're not lobster. I would change TONS of stuff about this game if I could, with a magic genie lamp or something, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what the game is.

I realize some things just matter more to certain people, and that's fine. Something I might not mind, someone else might mind a TON. But, still, I really feel like some people focus way too much on the negative, so that they don't even really try to look for any positive. Some people lack a "make the best of it" attitude, so all they can do is think "there's not even a best to make of it!" And that makes their perspective a bit skewed. It's not "Oh, you're just supposed to love the game." But, you can not-love the game without completely hating it. There's a much broader range there.

Also -- and this is purely matter-of-factly said, and not a hostile "LOLZ, WHAT AN IDIOT" remark -- someone who's going to be that much more sensitive to things in a game not being in line with their ideals should probably take greater care in purchasing games. I've been burned by many a game, trust me. I kinda "hate" Destiny (even though I still don't hate it fully, it just pisses me off how much potential it fails to take advantage of), for example. So, next time there's a game sort of like it that I'm interested in, I'm probably going to treat it with that much more scrutiny before buying it. It's totally Bungie's right to make their game however they want, and there are things about it to enjoy, even though they aren't my preference. I can still comprehend how people enjoy them.

That's the biggest thing. When you post a negative perspective about a game, and you can't even begin to fathom how anyone could enjoy any part of the thing you're describing, it instantly comes across as almost blind rage. Like when you get to a particularly hard part of a game, and you die like 10 times in a row and become INCREDIBLY frustrated. Then comes the "Man, this game SUCKS!" But, later, you pick it back up, eventually get past that part, and the rest of the game's pretty good. So, you say "I just hate that that part was way too hard."

Well, in the moment, you really felt "THIS GAME SUCKS!," but you didn't honestly believe the entire game sucked. That's how most of the negative remarks about this game (and most others) come across, because of how they're typed. Instead of simply pointing out how many things really could've been better, and how and why, just a simple "THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING EVER AND I CAN'T EVEN PLAY THIS AND NO ONE COULD POSSIBLY ENJOY THIS GAME!" sentiment.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Some backers are quite critical of the game. ...

I am certainly one of them. Overall, I am enjoying the game quite a bit. With some significant modding, this game might turn out to be most everything I hoped for. Is it worthy of Metacritic's score of 92? Not to me, and I have quite a few reasons to say so. Regardless, it's still a very solid game.

I still haven't made it past the character creation process.

I despise a set number of points to assign, as opposed to rolling attributes. I attempt to get over that as I have in other games, and I choke on what some of the attributes actually are used for. I can't make the character I'd like to make, so I'm waiting for a new inspiration on a character idea that will fit the PoE's character creation process. Hasn't happened yet, likely will eventually, but it's possible it might not.

Edited by Valsuelm

Yeah, I mean, I'd really love for my dinner tonight to be a lobster dinner. But, that doesn't mean tasty sandwiches aren't tasty just because they're not lobster. I would change TONS of stuff about this game if I could, with a magic genie lamp or something, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what the game is.

I realize some things just matter more to certain people, and that's fine. Something I might not mind, someone else might mind a TON. But, still, I really feel like some people focus way too much on the negative, so that they don't even really try to look for any positive. Some people lack a "make the best of it" attitude, so all they can do is think "there's not even a best to make of it!" And that makes their perspective a bit skewed. It's not "Oh, you're just supposed to love the game." But, you can not-love the game without completely hating it. There's a much broader range there.

Also -- and this is purely matter-of-factly said, and not a hostile "LOLZ, WHAT AN IDIOT" remark -- someone who's going to be that much more sensitive to things in a game not being in line with their ideals should probably take greater care in purchasing games. I've been burned by many a game, trust me. I kinda "hate" Destiny (even though I still don't hate it fully, it just pisses me off how much potential it fails to take advantage of), for example. So, next time there's a game sort of like it that I'm interested in, I'm probably going to treat it with that much more scrutiny before buying it. It's totally Bungie's right to make their game however they want, and there are things about it to enjoy, even though they aren't my preference. I can still comprehend how people enjoy them.

That's the biggest thing. When you post a negative perspective about a game, and you can't even begin to fathom how anyone could enjoy any part of the thing you're describing, it instantly comes across as almost blind rage. Like when you get to a particularly hard part of a game, and you die like 10 times in a row and become INCREDIBLY frustrated. Then comes the "Man, this game SUCKS!" But, later, you pick it back up, eventually get past that part, and the rest of the game's pretty good. So, you say "I just hate that that part was way too hard."

Well, in the moment, you really felt "THIS GAME SUCKS!," but you didn't honestly believe the entire game sucked. That's how most of the negative remarks about this game (and most others) come across, because of how they're typed. Instead of simply pointing out how many things really could've been better, and how and why, just a simple "THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING EVER AND I CAN'T EVEN PLAY THIS AND NO ONE COULD POSSIBLY ENJOY THIS GAME!" sentiment.

It has nothing to do with anything, but could you record yourself reciting this post in Brak's voice?

• Like 2

It's hard to take someone's critique seriously when they complain about things like a lack of a walk toggle.

It also doesn't help their case that, after Page 3 of their thread, they announce that they don't want anyone to comment on their opinion (that was posted in a public forum) and it was only for the developers to read and take heed.