I'm currently soloing the game as a middling (not min-maxed) monk, Easy difficulty, Expert Mode, Trial of Iron.  This is how I'm trying to avoid some of the more egregious issues in the game (no companions to worry about, no reloading saved games aside from loading from where I left off when I reenter the game).

Stealth and mechanics are essential, especially the latter since I fear my undoing will be a missed trap.

My first play upon decrypting the preloaded game Thursday was a dwarf monk (similar stat loadout I think, though my excuse then was I was diving in without studying much of the game's mechanics) who also was planning to solo, Expert Mode, Trial of Iron.  Only difference was Path of the Damned difficulty.

That game didn't last long. :)

--/\/

I'm getting the impression from reading some other solo-play threads that soloing on anything but Easy will be nigh impossible in most cases. Supremely min/maxed, well-considered and perfected builds may get through Normal. But who knows...I'm sure at some point someone will claim they solo'd the hardest/expert/ToI etc. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lack of real stealth?  I understand the concerns of those who don't like that stealth is a party-wide modal, but since we're talking solo here, surely that isn't the issue?

I find myself stealthing just fine, but again, I'm only a level 3 monk on Easy (Stealth at 3 currently).

--/\/

Yeah, stealth works fine as one person. I'm planning to try solo at some point, it should be doable on Normal or Hard, though ToI might be a bit much. After all, BG1/2 were eventually soloable on Insane Ironman if you knew the ins and outs...

Mechanics is the true must.    You also have to have a high defense minded character (Deflection, etc) with very good endurance.    Even min/maxed it is nigh impossible.    So far I haven't seen anything that would prevent you from soloing (I am not currently soloing).    I don't believe it would be possible to do so with ironman mode enabled though.

My solo expert/easy/iron monk run ended in a cave (not the bear cave).  I'm thinking you can't escape combat, or at least you get blocked by the area transition (which you can't cross in combat, it seems).

I should probably experiment on this outside Trial of Iron, but I'm stubbornly refusing to do anything but ToI solo runs until patch hits.  :D

Right now I'm trying a rogue who is completely not optimized for defensive stats.  At least I know to avoid the cave encounter in which the monk bought it.  If I ever make it that far.

--/\/

Since I'm soloing using Trial of Iron (and expert mode, but only easy difficulty), and entering content I have not yet experienced, I'm getting in over my head, or at least being reckless.  The aforementioned rogue died to an encounter that was slightly above his pay grade, but the opponent was "Near Death" and I get stubborn sometimes about using consumables until it's too late (not the best thing to be stubborn about when you're in ironman mode).

I'm either going to revisit this rogue (greatsword wielding, brigandine wearing) or maybe try a fighter next…

And yes, this is all still on Easy difficulty. :)

--/\/

Lack of real stealth?  I understand the concerns of those who don't like that stealth is a party-wide modal, but since we're talking solo here, surely that isn't the issue?

I find myself stealthing just fine, but again, I'm only a level 3 monk on Easy (Stealth at 3 currently).

Real stealth would be directional stealth: vision + sound.

Something similar to Commandos

Edited by draek

Stealth is nothing. My solo cipher with 9 stealth was found within 1 second by monsters in Act 2.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Haven't tried it yet, but thinking of giving it a shot later with a ranger with stealth, fast speed and high intellect (for longer effects) - then maybe try to kite enemies while using rooting effects to keep them away. I'm probably going to use my own bow (Borresaine - got a root effect to it) then maybe enchant it further with additional rooting effects if that's possible. 

The hurdle now for Trial of Iron soloing is that I am seeing encounters that were (even at easy) tuned for "you should have a party size of X now" (where X > 1).

My current hapless protagonist is an estoc-wielding mountain dwarf fighter artist (artisan) from Old Vailia.  He's not one for sneaking, either; scouting mode has primarily been used to find secret stashes.  I think I might be putting a point or two in stealth though (to benefit actual scouting of potential encounter oopsies).  He's also somewhat benevolent, clever, diplomatic, and deceptive (love seeing how my dispositions turn out).

I'm getting a decent feel for the play of the characters I'm putting through Trial of Iron/Expert/Easy solo; I can't wait to be able to enjoy them in a fuller, normal-er party experience when a patch releases I feel comfortable with.  Or soloing outside Trial of Iron when I can trust the reload of quick saves.  :)

--/\/

Talking about the rangers, can we customise our pets (color, size, head...) ?

No, atleast I haven't seen any options to do so. But there's different animal companions you can chose when creating a ranger. 

Yep i knew and i find it very very very cool *excited*

But so........... Can't customise ? :'(

I think that's a wrong move from Obsidian. At least just change the color plz :'(

In one of my playthroughs I'm soloing as a Wizard on Hard, died more than I can count :p

Anyways, I'm worried about the level cap, does anyone know when a solo character will hit level 12? Completionist here, and with the bonus XP from going solo are we then talking like half-way through the game? (no spoilers ;) )

Edited by Hexo

I think the key to a "Solo" run is doing just the story and only the story.. all the side quests may just be too much.

That said I think perhaps a wizard can pull it off through judicious use of the "Tactical Withdrawal"

MAX Might and Int + Stealth and FoF.. stealth in, cast FoF's.. then run away.. rinse/repeat till everything is dead.

PotD, Expert Solo run ended in stronghold main quest first hall... got level locked, means I skipped with summon item horn the phantom group and thought that i can bypass them without fight this way.

unfortunaly...it didn't work...and 1 phantom could perma stun lock my chanter...thanks to 70 accuracy...on them against my 90 deflection.

I done all quest you can do before stronghold main quest...killed raedric, but still lacked 1000XP to level 5.

• Like 1

PotD, Expert Solo run ended in stronghold main quest first hall... got level locked, means I skipped with summon item horn the phantom group and thought that i can bypass them without fight this way.

unfortunaly...it didn't work...and 1 phantom could perma stun lock my chanter...thanks to 70 accuracy...on them against my 90 deflection.

I done all quest you can do before stronghold main quest...killed raedric, but still lacked 1000XP to level 5.

So would you say that PotD chanter solo is impossible atm? No way to deal with the "phantom menace"? ... If there only was a way to skip the pack inside :/