Opinions on stats for the lovely Wild Orlan fighter tanks

Originally I was doing 10 str / 18 con / 5 dex / 20 per / 5 int / 20 res, with the background that lets you start with a large shield and +1 resolve as a no brainer.

After looking at other people opinions that the fighter tank isn't going to be doing any DPS anyway, I tried 8 / 6 / 6 on the dump stats.

But then I remembered that str also affects fortitude saves and healing which matter a lot.

So I'm now pondering, if sticking to max con / per / res, what would be best for the dump stats:

8 / 6 / 6

10 / 5 / 5

12 / 4 / 4

14 / 3 / 3

???

Might does affect the endurance regen.  I would say for orlan fighter tanks you max perception, and resolve, after that it's just flavor choice unless on POD difficulty where you will need some con for not getting one shot.  As said though it's just flavor choice after perception and resolve.

flavor examples

Int for longer trip times.

Might for a little more damge and healing regen

cond for defense vs burst damage and bolstering fort defense

dex for having more "uptime" on your activated abilities.  (not sitting as long waiting for recovery times for trips and such, as they are based off the initial attack speed of the attack used + modifiers.)

I am not sure you really need that much Con.  Yes I know it seems like a no brainer tank stat, but the thing is that defenses get stronger and stronger per point and Con's % increase does not.

So getting defenses as high as possible is worthwhile.  It can concievably be worth fairly large sacrifice to get just a few points in a defense when you have high defense (conversely at low defense its barely worth any sacrifices).

On the other hand Con's bonuses (since might give fort as well) are a linearly increasing thing and difference between 16 and 18 Con is not that big of a deal.   

It may be worth taking point out of Con and either a) putting them into Str to get some other benefit and mainting the same Fort (I think is somewhat questionable as you probably do crap damage no matter what) b) going, probably into Int, to trade some Fort for Will saves.

Option (B) serves multiple purposes

-Shield talent gives reflex so its less important

-raising int will make your debuffs last longer which can be nice

-having higher will works with the Orlan racial better

On the other hand perhaps having higher Fort is better some annoying and common things like knockdown to prone are Fort.  Probably its doesn't matter that much.  But its something to consider. 

Originally I was doing 10 str / 18 con / 5 dex / 20 per / 5 int / 20 res, with the background that lets you start with a large shield and +1 resolve as a no brainer.

After looking at other people opinions that the fighter tank isn't going to be doing any DPS anyway, I tried 8 / 6 / 6 on the dump stats.

But then I remembered that str also affects fortitude saves and healing which matter a lot.

So I'm now pondering, if sticking to max con / per / res, what would be best for the dump stats:

8 / 6 / 6

10 / 5 / 5

12 / 4 / 4

14 / 3 / 3

???

8/6/6 on dump stats (while going max Con/Res/Per i.e. 18/20/20) gives you +12 to all saves and +20 to deflection

other combinations for dump states all favor a specific save

So id go with that

Edited by Luj1
  • Like 1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

... I don't understand the confusion. If you have 20 in both deflection stats and a handful of constitution, you shouldn't have any troubles doing your tanking. What you take after that is negligible; you're not going to be a damage dealer with so much invested in deflection, which is fine. 

It's not that difficult. The difference between a couple points in one stat or another is barely noticeable. Making optimized characters in this game isn't hard when they have a single purpose.

There's still a difference in saves, which I think is what he is interested about

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I went with 3 might, 18 con, 3 dex, 15 int, because between the armor, shield, Defender, low attack speed, and a defensive 1h weapon, my damage is total crap anyway, but low might then means I have a big Fortitude problem, hence I max the Con to compensate.  Reflex is covered via Shield talent, so my biggest concern is definitely Fortitude.  One thing I didn't consider is that the might reduces my End regeneration rate.  I thought the Int would be good for longer Knockdowns, but with my Accuracy being penalized by the shield, I seem to miss with those quite often.  I do like that the Int gives me some more interesting dialogue choices, though.