Wizard Spell Guide & Spells You Get For Free Early On

Hi everyone, i think this will be useful for many people.

When selecting spells you need to consider two things. 

Damage Spells

If it's elemental damage kind of spell you need to check the damage type. Corrode is the best damage type because VERY few creatures have corrode damage reduction. Second best is fire because it's effective against some of the really toughest creatures in the game and fire generally has more damage.

Debuff Spells

If it's a debuff you need to check the status effect it applies. The best effects are petrify, paralyze , confused, stun, blind, prone, sickened and in that order. You can get blind in spell levels 1 and 2, paralyze in level 2 and petrify in level 6. Sickened lowers fortitude, which makes the enemy weak against stuns such as fighter's and monk's. The effects that decrease will are mostly useful for your spells to hit. Decrease will and then cast a spell that attacks will. Simple. It might be good for let's say a dragon because higher level creatures will have large defences and your spells will graze or miss most of the time, unless you debuff their defences.

That being said you need to have as many spells in your grimoire as possible because for example a freeze spell can be more effective on a fire based creature. For that you need to copy spells from another wizard's grimoire, and they are easy to find. 

The spells that you find on grimoires early on

Once you have the grimoire, copying a spell only requires gold.

I believe you get your first one in black meadow(or Magran's Fork, either one of them i cant recall) to the south east of the map. It contains: fan of flames, ghost blades, chill fog, minelotta's minor missiles, fetid caress, necrotic lance so dont take them on level up. 

Second grimoire i got (in Caed Nua) has fireball, concelhaut's corrosive siphon, bulwark against the enemies, thrust of tattered veils, spirit shield, chill fog, fan of flames.

Recommended Spells

My recommendations for all six levels are as follows:

Level 1: 

Chill Fog: Really overpowered spell even later in the game. Blinds and does damage for a long period.

Fan of Flames: It is good because it kills shades, shadows and phantoms, toughest creatures early on in the game.

Slicken: Nice prone effect, duration aoe.

Level 2: 

Curse of blackened sight: Similar to chill fog but it attacks Will, which is huge because you'll want to blind melee attackers and they have lower will!

Rolling Flame: It can hit two times because it bounces off of walls! A little situational though.
Necrotic Lance: Corrode damage.

Fetid Caress: Paralyze on one enemy and sickened debuff in aoe.

Level 3:

Fireball: Good aoe fire damage.

Noxious Burst: Corrode damage & sicken effect.

Expose Vulnerabilities: Reduce DR and deflection. Useful for taking out big and tough creatures that have high defenses, for them DR and deflection are the only things that stand in your way.

Level 4:

Wall of Flame: If you can make a target stuck in a place you can kill him easily with this spell. For example you can block a whole enemy group with your tank on a doorway and just cast it on them. Same tactics apply to all the aoe spells with long durations. Such as level 1 spell chill fog.
Confusion: It makes the enemy attack each other or just stand still. Useful on tough melee enemies because it attacks will and they have high fortitude and low will.

Minoletta's Concussive Missiles: Sometimes you'll want to focus on one target, and this spell will do just that. 5 missiles that do crush damage in a very small aoe.

Level 5:

Malignant Cloud: One of the best aoe spells because it deals raw damage and lasts long. Make sure the enemy stays in the aoe and use it on enemies with high DR that you can't kill.

Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring: A beam that does freeze damage on target and also between you and the target. Applies stuck effect. They cannot move for a while so you can cast it after malignant cloud or some other aoe.

Wall of Force: Crush damage and does not hurt allies so it might be really useful in some fights where you just can't hit the enemy without hitting your allies.

Level 6:

Gaze of the adragan: Possibly the best spell in the game because it petrifies aoe and attacks fortitude, which means it'll work well on casters with low fortitude and high will, probably most dangerous enemies.

Death Ring: Corrode damage and a chance to kill instantly.
Arkemyr's Capricious Hex: It has a chance to paralyze (almost same thing as petrify) but it attacks will. So use it on tough melee creatures with low will.
Chain Lightning: High electricity damage that jumps. I think it doesn't hit allies but i'm not sure.

Edited by tnc
  • Like 2

You don't get spells for free from other grimoires, you need to pay for them. You can also copy Aeloths spells.

Yeah i know you pay for them, i meant it like you don't need to spend your spell selections on level up. Let me correct it.

Good list and exposes one of the problems with the wizard- these are largely the only spells worth taking at all. All the grimoire switching and hijinks are pretty unnecessary and useless. Even copying feature is useless except to get aloth his first two level 2 spells while he goes back and picks up slicken on his level up.

Shame the class abilities are so poor as well.

Another interesting thing to consider, if a little cheesy is that you can recruit a wizard at the inn and give him all the spells you want and copy it to Aloth's grimoire. 

Also I kinda disagree with the statement that only the spells above are useful. Take for instance if I want to play as a more close range wizard.

1st Level spells[edit]

Eldritch Aim – Increases the caster's Accuracy.

Fleet Feet – Empowers the target with unnatural speed, increasing their Movement Rate.

Wizard's Double – Creates a duplicate of the caster to distract enemies, granting the caster a high Deflection bonus against a single attack.

Spirit Shield – Surrounds the caster with a shield of spirit energy, granting an increased Damage Threshold and a Concentration bonus.

* Thrust of Tattered Veils – A quick strike of Crushing force, dealing little damage but having a high chance to disrupt enemy spellcasters.

2nd Level spells

Bewildering Spectacle – Enemies in the area become confused.

Bulwark Against The Elements – increases the caster's damage threshold for burn, freeze, corrode and shock.

Merciless Gaze – Increases critical hit chance.

*Mirrored Image – Increases Deflection of the caster but the deflection bonus is decreased with each received hit.

3rd Level spells[edit]

Concelhaut's Draining Touch – The caster's hand becomes a toxic parasite causing corrosive damage to the target, weakening it and leaching a portion of its stamina.

Deleterious Alacrity of Motion – The wizard will attack faster, but will also suffer stamina damage during the duration.

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage – Targets near caster are Sickened and Terrified by the wizard's horrifying appearance.

Llengrath's Displaced Image – Increases deflection and reflexes of the caster.

*Expose Vulnerabilities – Reduces the damage threshold and concentration of the target.

4th Level spells[edit]

Confusion – Confuses all enemies in the area.

Fire Shield – Increases the freeze damage threshold of the caster and inflicts burn damage to any enemy that hits the caster.

Ironskin – increases the caster's damage threshold for 10 attacks.

*Essential Phantom – Summons a ghostly double of the caster that fights with its bare hands, doing Shock damage. Other than the appearance of the caster, it shares no other properties.

*Dimensional Shift – The caster and one ally are able to immediately switch locations, leaving a shockwave between them. Anyone caught in-between may be briefly Stunned.

5th Spell Level[edit]

Blast of Frost – Creates a bitter surge of ice and freezing cold air, inflicting Freeze damage on anyone caught in the conical area of effect.

Llengrath's Safeguard – An insidious magical contingency activates when the caster hits 50% Stamina. He or she immediately knocks all immediately close enemies prone while gaining a Damage Threshold and Defense bonus for a short time.

Torrent of Flame – Instantiates a terrifying inferno of flame around the caster, inflicting Burn damage on everyone nearby.

6th Spell Level[edit]

Citzal's Martial Power – Caster temporarily sacrifices arcane power for martial might. Wizard gains bonuses to Deflection, Accuracy, Might, Constitution and Dexterity, but becomes unable to cast spells or switch grimoires for the duration of the spell.

Gaze of the Adragan – Gives the caster the mystifying gaze of the adra creature that provides the spell's namesake, Petrifying enemies within the area of effect.

Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst – Creates a burst of of deadly force around the caster, causing any enemies in the immediate vicinity to take Pierce damage - bypassing their Damage Threshold.

Arcane Reflection – Creates a field of arcane energy around the caster, reflecting hostile targeted spells up to 5th level back at their casters (for a total of 15 spell levels).

*Death Ring – Calls a black ring of necrotic energy into being that spreads out in all directions, causing Corrode damage to everything it touches and potentially destroying those with low Stamina.

This creates a pretty interesting alternative with a wizard with spells that allow him to survive upfront at knife range. 

Another interesting thing to consider, if a little cheesy is that you can recruit a wizard at the inn and give him all the spells you want and copy it to Aloth's grimoire. 

Also I kinda disagree with the statement that only the spells above are useful. Take for instance if I want to play as a more close range wizard.

1st Level spells[edit]

Eldritch Aim – Increases the caster's Accuracy.

Fleet Feet – Empowers the target with unnatural speed, increasing their Movement Rate.

Wizard's Double – Creates a duplicate of the caster to distract enemies, granting the caster a high Deflection bonus against a single attack.

Spirit Shield – Surrounds the caster with a shield of spirit energy, granting an increased Damage Threshold and a Concentration bonus.

* Thrust of Tattered Veils – A quick strike of Crushing force, dealing little damage but having a high chance to disrupt enemy spellcasters.

2nd Level spells

Bewildering Spectacle – Enemies in the area become confused.

Bulwark Against The Elements – increases the caster's damage threshold for burn, freeze, corrode and shock.

Merciless Gaze – Increases critical hit chance.

*Mirrored Image – Increases Deflection of the caster but the deflection bonus is decreased with each received hit.

3rd Level spells[edit]

Concelhaut's Draining Touch – The caster's hand becomes a toxic parasite causing corrosive damage to the target, weakening it and leaching a portion of its stamina.

Deleterious Alacrity of Motion – The wizard will attack faster, but will also suffer stamina damage during the duration.

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage – Targets near caster are Sickened and Terrified by the wizard's horrifying appearance.

Llengrath's Displaced Image – Increases deflection and reflexes of the caster.

*Expose Vulnerabilities – Reduces the damage threshold and concentration of the target.

4th Level spells[edit]

Confusion – Confuses all enemies in the area.

Fire Shield – Increases the freeze damage threshold of the caster and inflicts burn damage to any enemy that hits the caster.

Ironskin – increases the caster's damage threshold for 10 attacks.

*Essential Phantom – Summons a ghostly double of the caster that fights with its bare hands, doing Shock damage. Other than the appearance of the caster, it shares no other properties.

*Dimensional Shift – The caster and one ally are able to immediately switch locations, leaving a shockwave between them. Anyone caught in-between may be briefly Stunned.

5th Spell Level[edit]

Blast of Frost – Creates a bitter surge of ice and freezing cold air, inflicting Freeze damage on anyone caught in the conical area of effect.

Llengrath's Safeguard – An insidious magical contingency activates when the caster hits 50% Stamina. He or she immediately knocks all immediately close enemies prone while gaining a Damage Threshold and Defense bonus for a short time.

Torrent of Flame – Instantiates a terrifying inferno of flame around the caster, inflicting Burn damage on everyone nearby.

6th Spell Level[edit]

Citzal's Martial Power – Caster temporarily sacrifices arcane power for martial might. Wizard gains bonuses to Deflection, Accuracy, Might, Constitution and Dexterity, but becomes unable to cast spells or switch grimoires for the duration of the spell.

Gaze of the Adragan – Gives the caster the mystifying gaze of the adra creature that provides the spell's namesake, Petrifying enemies within the area of effect.

Minoletta's Precisely Piercing Burst – Creates a burst of of deadly force around the caster, causing any enemies in the immediate vicinity to take Pierce damage - bypassing their Damage Threshold.

Arcane Reflection – Creates a field of arcane energy around the caster, reflecting hostile targeted spells up to 5th level back at their casters (for a total of 15 spell levels).

*Death Ring – Calls a black ring of necrotic energy into being that spreads out in all directions, causing Corrode damage to everything it touches and potentially destroying those with low Stamina.

This creates a pretty interesting alternative with a wizard with spells that allow him to survive upfront at knife range. 

There are other good spells in the game and as i said it's all really situational, if you keep changing spells for different scenarios your wizard will be very effective. A tanky wizard is definately viable in this game, even just that 6th level spell Citzal's Martial Power screams Battle Mage! in our faces w00t.gif Wizard is all about tactical flexibility, later on in the game once you have access to 5th and 6th level spells you'll be able to just cast all your spells in one tough fight and your wizard will act as a 'SKIP THIS FIGHT' button.

The people complaining about only certain spells being good...well I mean there were a metric ton of spells in BG and Icewind Dale and only some really made sense.

There were more garbage spells than actual good spells in DnD 2.0, especially in the BG games.

In BG1 Sleep was god tier.

The 2nd level spell Infuse With Vital Essence can provide a really handy damage buffer in emergencies. If you are running a low deflection Wizard, this can be much more useful than Mirrored Image.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Has anybody tried this combination: Deleterious Alacrity of Motion -> Merciless Gaze -> Eldritch Aim -> 2-3 high damage spells? The Alacrity and Gaze last for a relatively long time (30 and 45 seconds base respectively), but Eldritch Aim is only 10 seconds base (still, +15 Accuracy is a lot). It's obviously something you would only use in a serious fight, preferably with Accuracy further buffed by Holy Might or something of the sort. It's the closest thing to a spell combo I can think of in the PoE system, but I'm not sure it's worth it as it consumes both time and spells (i.e. at low levels, it's quite possible that you'd have been able to cast the 2-3 spells twice in the same amount of time).

Has anyone tried combat Mage or how to call it, a more close combat oriented mage?

Yeah. It's nuts and absolutely fun once you get the gear and necessary spells.

If I min maxed my mage she'd probably do a lot more with a two hander.

Citzal's Martial Power + Alacrity is easily one of the most funnest combinations you can do. You hit like a goddamn truck on steroids.