Choosing a Culture in character creation doesn't give you a stat point(?)

mrmoneda

Question

Description:

As stated in the title, I believe when creating a playable character (or an NPC you can hire in an inn) choosing a Culture does not give you +1 to any stat. The first choice (Aedyr) is already highlighted and the game recognizes this as you having entered that portion of character creation with one less point in Resolve than you actually chose, and when you choose another culture than Aedyr it will deduct the point in Resolve it believes it gave to you and place it elsewhere, leaving you 1 Resolve point short.

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

1. Choose Hard difficulty & enter character creation.

2. Create any combination of gender/race/subrace/class.

3. Choose attributes as you'd like them and enter the Culture menu.

4. Note that Aedyr is selected and your Resolve did not increase from the previous screen.

4. Choose an option other than Aedyr and watch your Resolve drop by one.

Important Files:

I created a 1 min video of what I described above in case you cannot create a character immediately after having read this post but you don't need any of my save game files. Just start up the game and begin a brand new one.

6 answers to this question

I've been seeing this to, it happens with ANY race/class/difficulty setting. I first noticed it when I'd set my resolve to 15, which gets auto-bumped to .. 15 and then drops to 14 when you choose another culture. It SHOULD get bumped to 16, and then drop back to 15, in this situation, but it doesn't. Since then I have noticed that this happens regardless of what the stat value is set to, thus always permanently removing a stat point that it should not be. OP is correct in his statement.

I've been seeing this to, it happens with ANY race/class/difficulty setting. I first noticed it when I'd set my resolve to 15, which gets auto-bumped to .. 15 and then drops to 14 when you choose another culture. It SHOULD get bumped to 16, and then drop back to 15, in this situation, but it doesn't. Since then I have noticed that this happens regardless of what the stat value is set to, thus always permanently removing a stat point that it should not be. OP is correct in his statement.

When you're setting your resolve, the bonus is already there. When you switch to a different culture from Aedyr, the bonus is removed and another one is added.

It's not a bug. You are getting the bonuses correctly, it's just applied in a confusing order. Yes, they should've put culture before stat point assignment to avoid the issue where you have to go back and fix your stats after picking any culture that doesn't have "+1 Resolve" for their bonus. Would this ruin the symmetry of the character creation screen? Yes. Is it a big deal either way? No.

So... yeah. Not a bug. Just a confusing UI choice.