Stealth Mechanics and Mods

Maybe its me, but I think stealth should be affected by ones armor modifier, and second it should be individualy bassed not party, so that the paladin comes out of stealth first allowing the thief to still sneak behind for back stab.

Which brings me to the point, how moddable is the game, and could this be added in the future.

Edited by wpmaura

Stealth in this game is not really "stealth" in the classic definition of the word. It's more about tactical positioning and sneaking closer towards the target.

The stealth-mechanic works great and imho is one of the stronger points of the game. Way more rewarding than the one-dimensional stealth mechanics of the IE games ("Ooops, my thief missed it's x7 sneak attack multiplier... gotta reload. BAM, 112 damage critical! PWNED NOOBS!").

• Like 1

I think the OPs point is that sneaking closer to a target in shiny, clunky plate armour should be more difficult than sneaking in lightweight robes or normal clothing.

How can anyone not agree with that?

The decision to have this party-wide 'scouting mode' to cover both sneaking and search/detection is one of the weak points of the system (there aren't many tho) and I hope they do rework or at least tweak it.

I think the OPs point is that sneaking closer to a target in shiny, clunky plate armour should be more difficult than sneaking in lightweight robes or normal clothing.

How can anyone not agree with that?

The decision to have this party-wide 'scouting mode' to cover both sneaking and search/detection is one of the weak points of the system (there aren't many tho) and I hope they do rework or at least tweak it.

It's a matter of game balance. The IE stealth mechanics were overpowered and certainly not what we want to go for. And please let's not introduce ANOTHER mechanic that skews the power of armors towards using cloth for everything even more.

Pretty sure that if you have a paladin with a lower stealth score than a ranger (for example), if you both move forward the Paladin will be seen first and alert the enemy to your entire party. I don't think there will ever be a mod that turns stealth into "invisibility" like it is in the IE games.

Also, stealth is already tied to an attribute (Stealth). Just think of a Paladin with plate armour and a high stealth score as being skilled enough to sneak around while compensating for the negative effects of the armour?

Stealth in this game is not really "stealth" in the classic definition of the word. It's more about tactical positioning and sneaking closer towards the target.

The stealth-mechanic works great and imho is one of the stronger points of the game. Way more rewarding than the one-dimensional stealth mechanics of the IE games ("Ooops, my thief missed it's x7 sneak attack multiplier... gotta reload. BAM, 112 damage critical! PWNED NOOBS!").

There's something to be said fo realism though. The concept of a sudden instant kill might seem overpowered, but that's something that happens in real-life too. If a guy takes a crossbow bolt to the head from a hidden opponent, he's not going to be getting up.

Of course, in games like Icewind Dale it could occasionally get silly with you sneaking right up to the guy and stabbing him with a dagger, but the way to fix that would have been to tweak detection ranges, not to completely break stealth by making it a group thing.

I'd personally like a sneak attack talent.

Element of Surprise (Offensive Talent)

All attacks made in the first second of combat gain a damage and accuracy bonus equal to 3x your Stealth skill.

I don't know if you were trying to make a joke or not, but there is a rogue talent that does exactly that - the first attack 2 seconds into combat.

And I like the sneak attack in this game. The 50% damage buff rogues get when the target qualifies (when it's diabled etc.) is much more rewarding then cheesing 30xstealth multiplier like in Skyrim. At least you can combo the sneak attacks in PoE with (even rogue!) abilities.

Edited by Illuminaire

I'd personally like a sneak attack talent.

Element of Surprise (Offensive Talent)

All attacks made in the first second of combat gain a damage and accuracy bonus equal to 3x your Stealth skill.

I don't know if you were trying to make a joke or not, but there is a rogue talent that does exactly that - the first attack 2 seconds into combat.

And I like the sneak attack in this game. The 50% damage buff rogues get when the target qualifies (when it's diabled etc.) is much more rewarding then cheesing 30xstealth multiplier like in Skyrim. At least you can combo the sneak attacks in PoE with (even rogue!) abilities.

Yeah, I'd forgotten it was a talent (thought it was a basic class ability), but I'd actually like if it were available to everyone.

Kind of off-topic, but I think a lot of the basic talents are boring.