Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cipher Powers

cipher powers character build

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Arctic

Arctic

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I've had issues with Mind Blades in that it seems to bounce from enemy onto my own companions?  Been scared to use it as a result unless I can alpha strike with it and know there's a larger number of enemies around.

if your companions are mind controlled, confused ect, yes, it bounces into them.  And if the tarjet dies before the blade hits, the spell is lost and the focus wasted.  (just take care when you lost control of a party member)

Z09

Z09

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
you dont need to be at melee for using mindwave,  the area is marked around you, but it goes from the target, not from you, you can be wayy back , cast it at long range and drop the mobs behind that target.

So .. not so "risky"

Eyestrike is not bad, but the area is .. bad .. once you get lvl 3 you will never use it again ..

Thanks, I didn't know this :o

ErlKing

ErlKing

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 127 posts

Ectopsychic Echo not so bad situational power either, for a change it target Reflex and its 10 tics for 25-40 Crush each on foes between target and Cipher. Just target your tank (or animal companion if you have ranger) and make him flank enemy.

Any feedback on Pain Link? 25% not much, but I suppose it bypass armor, so... does it worth using on suicidal damage sponge?

Edited by ErlKing, 31 March 2015 - 12:14 AM.

gkathellar

gkathellar

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1416 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
My recommended picks for power levels 1-4

1st: Mind Wave, Eyestrike, Soul Shock
2nd: Mental Binding, Mind Blades, Recall Agony/Amplified Thrust
3rd: Puppetmaster, Soul Ignition, Secret Horrors/Ectopsychic Echo
4th: Mind Lance, Silent Scream, Pain Block

After that point, it gets more straightforward.
  • blindhamster likes this

mrmonocle

mrmonocle

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 412 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

wait 'till u get amplified wave.

• Arctic likes this

complexmath

complexmath

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts

I'm surprised no one mentioned Tenuous Grasp.  Unlike Eyestrike it's single target, but rather than simply blinding them it takes the enemy out of the fight entirely for a few rounds, and they end up wandering off.  I've found this is great both for getting a random mob off the mage (I'm looking at you, Shadows), and for easing the crush on the tank during the first charge.  Personally:

Level 1

Tenuous Grasp

Mind Wave

Antipathetic Field

Level 2

Mind Blades

Psychovampiric Field (good if you're a melee cipher)

Recall Agony

Mental Binding seems like a great crowd control tool though.  I don't suppose there's a way to respec learned spells?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cipher, powers, character build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users