33 hours gone down the drain ((bug))

Mortivore

Question

entering the salty inn the game does not exit the cut scene properly and it auto saved over my f5 quick save so now I can not proceed move or do anything in the game here is an image of the bug 33 hours gone down the drain please fix this bug I will keep this save maybe you can release a patch that will break me out of this. Bug_zpsed4roxx2.png

sparklecat my save is like 10 hours back I have not needed to save and relied on the auto save if I knew I paid 50$ for a game that would bug out then Id be quicksaving every second ive done fine with auto saves till now
@Ashlane how do I teleport my party to another area ?

1. Autosaves and quicksaves are separate save slots; your quicksave should be fine.

2. Have you not saved properly?  Ever?

This pisses me off. How is him saving "properly" have ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? It's not his fault. His game would be fine if it wasn't a buggy mess due to poor testing. 

1. Autosaves and quicksaves are separate save slots; your quicksave should be fine.

2. Have you not saved properly?  Ever?

This pisses me off. How is him saving "properly" have ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? It's not his fault. His game would be fine if it wasn't a buggy mess due to poor testing. 

I'm not saying it's his/her fault.  I'm saying if you save at least semi-regularly, you don't end up losing 33 hours due to problems with your autosave and quicksave.

All games tend to be buggy on release, and there are other things that can corrupt a file; you're best off saving every hour or so, just to be safe.

Edited by sparklecat
  • Like 4

I don't want to start a negative spiral... Your right that every game these days due to complexity has game bugs.

But there are some really severe bugs in this game that should definitely have been caught in testing, I really wonder what the beta-testers have done because there are issues

everyone is having now (serious bugs) that should definitely have been caught in beta or other testing. 

1. Save game bug with characters gaining perma stats for example

2. Stronghold bug with mobs perma spawning

3. bug where saving and loading takes longer over time. Apparently its already noticeable people being 20-30 hours into the game (Act2).

There are a few more serious issues where I wonder how this was not caught before.

I love the game, but because of some bugs I have no choice right now but to continue when the bugs are fixed. This is not what I paid hero edition for :(

I don't want to start a negative spiral... Your right that every game these days due to complexity has game bugs.

But there are some really severe bugs in this game that should definitely have been caught in testing, I really wonder what the beta-testers have done because there are issues

everyone is having now (serious bugs) that should definitely have been caught in beta or other testing. 

3. bug where saving and loading takes longer over time. Apparently its already noticeable people being 20-30 hours into the game (Act2).

There are a few more serious issues where I wonder how this was not caught before.

I love the game, but because of some bugs I have no choice right now but to continue when the bugs are fixed. This is not what I paid hero edition for :(

if I knew these were the issues I would not have bought the game and I would not have convinced my partner and my 3 other friends to get the game as well now I am embarraced for my friends and for this game in general this is not a high intense game like say far cry 4 or something god its a 2d static background this should not be happening especially on a game that's not intense and not triple A high end

sparklecat my save is like 10 hours back I have not needed to save and relied on the auto save if I knew I paid 50$ for a game that would bug out then Id be quicksaving every second ive done fine with auto saves till now

Open the console with the tilde key, type Enter and then iroll20s (THIS WILL DISABLE ACHIEVEMENTS!).

Then type AreaTransition AR_0705_Gilded_Vale North1

This will bring you back to Gilded Vale. You can use other area code, I found a list here : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62420848/poe-areas.txt

No game ever made has been bug free. That is why you always keep at least three different saves. Yes, this is me saying, it was partly your fault.

• Like 5

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Open the console with the tilde key, type Enter and then iroll20s (THIS WILL DISABLE ACHIEVEMENTS!).

This will bring you back to Gilded Vale. You can use other area code, I found a list here : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62420848/poe-areas.txt

guess the game just hates me I teleported and the same thing still happened http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af231/MortivoreDK/brrr_zpslioedzet.png

No game ever made has been bug free. That is why you always keep at least three different saves. Yes, this is me saying, it was partly your fault.

yes its my foult I entered a building hit a bug and it auto saved on the bug itself and that I should keep three saves becaouse the developers screwed up ? so ur ok with paying whatever you paid for your game and keeping three saves each time you save just because the developers decided to release a buggy game ? well im not I work hard for my money and I just lost 33 hours to this

if I knew these were the issues I would not have bought the game and I would not have convinced my partner and my 3 other friends to get the game as well now I am embarraced for my friends and for this game in general this is not a high intense game like say far cry 4 or something god its a 2d static background this should not be happening especially on a game that's not intense and not triple A high end

I agree with you that this is embarassing that the game was released in this condition. Some of these bugs were apparently known during Beta and still the game released.

However, graphics and physics may be a little more complex in AAA games...a game like Pillars does have a ton of scripting. With so many scripts going on all the time, it can be tough to handle the big mess of code that occurs in the game. My hypothesis is that to improve save/load times, Obsidian created a way to keep current resources loaded in game to load the game faster...in doing so, it seems to have broken the sav/load system.

Edited by McPartyson

To be fair, expecting Quicksaves and Autosaves to work as intended is not a shortcoming of the OP. Anyways, trying to assign blame for this bug is counter productive.

guess the game just hates me I teleported and the same thing still happened http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af231/MortivoreDK/brrr_zpslioedzet.png

Meh, then I'm out of ideas, if you have shadowcopy activated try to see if you can't come back to an earlier version of your save file, maybe you'll cut your losses that way.

Go to the save folder, go into properties and you should have a 'Earlier version' tab (translated loosely so look for something similar).

Edited by Sashenka

yes its my foult I entered a building hit a bug and it auto saved on the bug itself and that I should keep three saves becaouse the developers screwed up ? so ur ok with paying whatever you paid for your game and keeping three saves each time you save just because the developers decided to release a buggy game ? well im not I work hard for my money and I just lost 33 hours to this

Sadly you do not seem two basic concepts in live

1. Humans were never and are not capable of building, constructing or otherwise creating things without errors, bugs, weaknesses. They simply can't do that.

2. While an error/bug/weakness might be the responsibility of the creator, the user is responsible for how the error impact their lives.

Examples:

You can parachute without an emergency parachute relying only on the main parachute. No sane parachutist will do that because there live depends on it.

You can go scuba diving without a partner, because your gear is not allowed to ever fault.

You can live in a city without insurance for burglary. While we all know that burglary is illegal it still happens. An insurance helps you to fend of the worst consequences.

You can have sex without protection because your partner should not be infected with any disease.

You can not have any backup of you computer.

You can play a computer game that was just released and never use the save game option, relying on the god-like powers of the developers to create the first bug free game ever.

You can do all that, blaming others when it goes wrong. But you miss the important point: YOU take the consequences. You and you alone. It's your time, your live, your property.

The developer gave you normal save games, quick save games and auto save games. It is your fault you did not use these insurances. It is our fault alone that you lost your only save game: not only a quite possible bug in a newly released game can cause this, but power loss, computer virus, defect hard disk, lightning strike and much more.

Fact is: you rely seriously on others that they are perfect and make no error and then blame them for this impossible feat. What exactly are you trying to achieve with such blaming?

My advice: learn to take responsibility and learn to use the insurances people give you (in this case for free). You will lead a much happier life. And in case you ever go parachuting or scuba diving it might save your life.

• Like 3

On the other hand, don't blame each other. Bugs are frustrating and it's okay to vent. Just try to keep perspective on both sides.

• Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

On the other hand, don't blame each other. Bugs are frustrating and it's okay to vent. Just try to keep perspective on both sides.

Well, there are bugs in PoE that really frustrate me and if an update is not compatible with old savegames  you will hear quite some rant from me ;)

But to blame the developers because no savegames were used in 33 hours...

Well, as I said: the developers may be responsible for the bug, but every gamer is responsible to use save games often when they are provided.

That said: isn't there a game mode with only one automatic save game? In that case the developers should really think about using at least three save games internally to be able to revert back to a previous one if the main one get's corrupted.

• Like 1

99 little bugs in the code.

99 little bugs in the code.

Take one down, patch it around.

127 little bugs in the code...

Edited by xrogaan
  • Like 2

If it doesn't kill you, it just missed its target.

I don't think it is an unreasonable expectation of theirs. Many games do not even let the user manually save, and rely completely on auto-saving. And what about PoE's Ironman mode, which only has one save, and deletes the save if a person dies? Will it also be a user's fault if that save corrupts during their game?

Has anyone even bothered to read my opening post ?
I explain the bug
I explain the f5 quick save was corrupted due to auto save saving over my quick save in the first place that's supposed to be two different slots
I explained I will wait for a patch
I do not scream rant rave insult or carry on about it I took it as it is a bug I know these things shouldn't happen but they do end of the day I cant do anything about it but report it and hope they fix it
I have since started a new character and a new game in all honesty its not that big a deal this game is awesome and I just hope they see the bug and stop someone else from having it happen

• Like 3

Guest Matt Sheets

Hey,

Could you provide us with save games and output logs?

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Mac Location: Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Linux Location: Home/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux Location: Home/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/Player.log

• Like 4

Mortivore, rest assured, we've noticed this thread and are already investigating the problem.

Please, if you could, we'd much appreciate some additional info (as described in the post above).

Thank you for your patience. We'll have this figured out soon and keep you posted.

Jorge

• Like 6

Hopefully Mortivore will respond with the save in question, the problem encountered does look really frustrating.

Nothing like playing and getting immersed in the game (That's quite the compliment right there from Morti) to the point where he stopped saving. Only to have something come to screeching halt with a sickening crunch.

• Like 1

Hey,

Could you provide us with save games and output logs?

Savegames

Try to include a save file from right before as well as during the issue you are reporting

Windows Location: %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves

Mac Location: Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games

Linux Location: Home/.local/share/PillarsOfEternity/SavedGames

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Windows Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\output_log.txt

Mac Location: Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Linux Location: Home/.config/unity3d/Obsidian Entertainment/Pillars of Eternity/Player.log

have the files ready on my desktop now im just trying to figure out how to upload it im guessing ill need to sighn up to drop box or something and upload it there then give a link right ?

Update on this - a fix has been included in the upcoming patch (in some edge-cases, entering the brothel through the east side could cause its area transition to fire before a scene got resolved).

Thanks for the heads-up and for your patience.

Jorge

• Like 4