Thanks Obsidian - Loving this game! [Merged]

To Feargus et al:

No fanboi gushing, no undeserved praise, no significant complaints. I'm 12 hours in and this is the best single player CRPG I've played in a dozen years.

It's also, imo, the best game you've ever made. If your Pathfinder licensed game is based on the Unity engine? I'd be very happy.

Thanks for making all of this fun again.

.Robert

• Like 10

Glory to our obsidian overlords, indeed. :D

Благодаря!

Maybe the only reason I'm hating on this game is because I can't be home playing it.

Edited by SeekDWay
  • Like 1

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

Just wanted to extend my thanks as well.  Hands down the best pc-rpg, if not pc game in general, to grace my computer in 12 or 13 years.  The richness of the world, the depth of the characters, the detailed story & lore, choices with consequences...just mind blowing.  I love how it feels both familiar yet unique.  Even the combat system, once you adapt to it,  is actually remarkably flexible, engaging and fun.  Best $45 I've spent in quite sometime.   Thanks for making the game for which so many of us  have been pining away for over a decade.

• Like 2

Thats the right thread headline to finally say this:

Obsidian, thank you very much. I´m played about 20h since release and you managed to deliver what you promised. I´m loving it so much. The writing, the sound, grafics, combat, companions etc. etc. it all together creates such an immersive atmossphere its just amazing.

• Like 1

The encouraging thing is this is not the only "thank you" thread. There are dozens of them. Despite some complaints and criticisms and yes, some nattering, the presence of so many spontaneous "thank you" threads speaks rather well of the fans' reaction to the game.  

Logged in just to post here. It's 17:08 right now. I'm in the office. In a few minutes I get to go home. I'm 27 years old. It's a long commute. Now it's 17:09. I can slip out at 17:20 if I walk out like I know what I'm doing. Which means I can be home ... just after 19:00. Then, if I optimize, I'll have about five and a half hours to play before I need to hit the hay. If I wake up early tomorrow morning, I can maybe even get another hour of play in before I have to leave. I'm 27 years and the last time my mind worked like this was when I was 17.

So I want to thank Obsidian not just for the game -- after several restarts and a lot of OCD I'm finally in Defiance Bay and I love it so far -- but for crafting something that hearkened me back to 17, when I could truly get lost in a game, real life be damned, and have conversations not with characters (which they were) but with real people (which my disbelief, involuntarily and surreptitiously suspended, made them). I'm so lost right now, and it's so cool. It's 17:14 right now. If they fire me on the way out, I can play WAY more than 5.5 hours. Thanks guys, I really appreciate this game.

• Like 1

I'm loving this game and having a great time playing on Hard. My only gripe is that certain class like Wizard or Priest that relies on resting actually burden the parties where even they do not require that tight restings they are being bog down because of the others.

Finished my Path of the Damned playthrough just now.

Wanted to find the "thanks obsidian" thread and google gave me this one :)

So without further ado:

THANKS OBSIDIAN!

Loved every second and it's worth every penny.

Thank you Obsidian. It's been to long since I've felt like a kid again being awe struck and sucked in that I don't even pay attention to reality. I'm even staying up late knowing it's gonna kill me and consider the pain I feel at work a price worth paying. At times I'm even feeling like I'm playing pen and paper with the game as GM. At work I'm constantly thinking about playing it and talking to people about it.

Thank you Obsidian, it's been to long since Ive had a game make me feel this way. I backed you because I was soooo impressed with FONV and dead money and as someone who didn't really like crpgs, I just wanted that same experience and story and world to get lost in. I had really high hopes and tbh I didn't even think you could go above that. Well this game has have been levels higher than what even I was hoping to expect.

Thank you Obsidian, Thank you. I'm proud to admit that u have me a fanatic about you lol.

First off, when the game first shipped, I didn't realize that one of the keys was Royal edition.  So I didn't install the game immediately.  Even after I did, there was so much going on around here, and about a million posts to approve, that I didn't get to play much.  After all, when you volunteer to do something, you can't just stop doing it at crunch time to play a game.  So, ironically, the thing preventing me from playing the game was the forum that exists because of it.

Finally, over the past couple of days, I've had time to playin the evenings.  This game is awesome.  I refuse to recommend a game I haven't played.  I wanted to wait until I'd played enough to know, really know, whether it was a good or not.  Now I heartily recommend this game to anyone.  I mean, there have been some minor issues that I've come across, but nothing significant.  The lore is a bit weird, but I *like* weird.  It's almost as good as the story-telling and lore in Planescape:  Torment, but much more accessible.

The music is great.  My wife *incessantly* complains about game music so much I'm usually forced to lower the music so much I can barely hear it.  She's always casting her Spell of Much Carping and I end up turning the music off.  Tonight, she looks over and says, "very Titanicy."  Now, my first instinct was to dismiss this insult to the game, but then it dawns on me that, while I personally don't hear the similarity, she meant it as a compliment.  I can't believe my wife actually had something good to say about the music in an RPG.  She virtually never likes the music in any game.

The NPCs are extremely well done.  I've found four joinable NPCs so far and created an adventurer to bolster my mechanics.  The NPCs don't provide the endless prattle of the BG games, but they do interact with one another and they will interject in conversations.  It's funny to see things that I personally wanted to see, things that had been a topic of disagreement or argument with other members, that have turned out as I wanted them.  ...And I'm not gloating.  I'm just glad.  In particular, while he isn't my favorite NPC, the priest (I'm going to avoid using names in this forum) had some great lines.  I honestly don't have a complaint about any of the joinable NPCs.  I could probably play the 'they could have done this differently' game, but why?  If I could have done a better job designing the game, I wouldn't need to wait around for theirs.

I've been increasingly impressed with the game, but what put me over the top is the stronghold.  This. is. awesome!  The dungeon and the stronghold show that it's not just a great venue for storytelling.  It really feels like a good table top experience.  When I finally quit the game for the night, I was actually irritated that I had to stop playing.  It's been a long time since I've had to tear myself away from a game.  I don't regret a single penny I pledged and they can count on my continued support in the future.  They did a great job with this one.

...and now that it's quieting down around here, they won't really need as many volunteers to help out and I can instead play more Pillars of Eternity!  Hot diggity!

• Like 20

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hmph. I disagree with just about every point you mentioned.

The music is decent but there is far too little of it. It seems to repeat a LOT, particularly the battle music. It isn't so good that I want to listen to the same parts more than once.

The NPCs are incredibly bland, without any interaction or conversation. The banter between NPCs in Baldur's Gate and other games was, for me, the whole point of having them. In PoE, they feel like muscle and quest-givers, nothing more. (Edit: except for the Chanter and the Priest, to be fair.)

They really did not think very much about the stronghold. It feels like a tick-in-a-box: "has home-base". You get it too early and for zero effort, it has timed events that you have to rush back for, it doesn't really reward you with anything and the dungeon underneath it is tedious and bland.

Finally, comparing any "traditional" elves-dwarves-swords-etc RPG to Planescape Torment is laughable. Sigil and the protagonist from that game were far more original and far more interesting.

Edited by Xharlie
  • Like 1

@Xharlie: "Traditional" does not always translate to trite. I think that's what Obs. wanted to show with PoE and I think they succeeded. It may not be as weird and thought-provoking as the D&D Multiverse, but it's not the umptieth swords+sorcery story and setting either. It's a sound introduction and set up for future events if nothing else.

@Cantousent: Get headphones. :devil:  (Although it might trigger the "you don't listen to me" scripted event).

• Like 1

Nothing gold can stay.

I'm also a big fan of the stronghold. The whole "endless paths" legend really lured me the dungeons below. Probably the best dungeon crawl I've ever experienced. 

I don't think the NPCs as bland as a certain sourpuss indicated. But it did take a while for them to grow on me. I admit to being a bit spoiled by the likes of Edwin and Minsc.