How to avoid the companion stat boost bug?

AgentTBC

Question

I'm starting over again since my party has been affected by the bug where loading saved games in various locations boosts up your stats to high levels (after restarting because of the other bug where equipping armor wrong causes a problem).

Does anyone know how to avoid this bug?  I don't want it to happen again.  Is the only way to avoid it to refrain from ever saving the game in major locations where you've recruited party members?  Secondly, some people have reported it has happened to their PC and I'm not sure how to avoid that one.

18 answers to this question

I think you can avoid most of the problems with this bug by not saving at the locations you get the NPC. If you want to save in those particular zones, just enter a building and it should work fine.

Good point! It might actually be worth rerolling.

I think you can avoid most of the problems with this bug by not saving at the locations you get the NPC. If you want to save in those particular zones, just enter a building and it should work fine.

I'd wait for the next patch (1.03) first. Or at least keep your save until it is released. It was announced for today, so I expect it to hit somewhere around this evening pacific time or night in central european time.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I'd wait for the next patch (1.03) first. Or at least keep your save until it is released. It was announced for today, so I expect it to hit somewhere around this evening pacific time or night in central european time.

Are you sure it was announced for today? All I've read is that it's coming this week and it'd be a crazy quick turn around to patch the game in less than a week.

Wow so many game breaking super obvious bugs on release. I love the game but these major bugs are just terrible. How could they release like this?! I don't get it.

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Wow so many game breaking super obvious bugs on release. I love the game but these major bugs are just terrible. How could they release like this?! I don't get it.

Actually, I usually accept bugs on release, but since these are major bugs that just about everyone seems to suffer from, I cant help but wonder how they could have been overlooked. People must have played through the game a couple of times, but didn't notice stats shooting past 21 or Rogues with more endurance than fighters? Or lost abilities for that matter? How is that possible?

Edited by ISC

Actually, I usually accept bugs on release, but since these are major bugs that just about everyone seems to suffer from, I cant help but wonder how they could have been overlooked. People must have played through the game a couple of times, but didn't notice stats shooting past 21 or Rogues with more endurance than fighters? Or lost abilities for that matter? How is that possible?

They were probably aware of the issues, but they couldn't afford, literally, to delay the game once more. The game has so many problems regarding skills, talents, items, companions and quests that's it's virtually impossible that they went through the QA process undetected. That's the reality of (modern) game development.

Hey Astrocat I think there are a couple of threads you haven't posted those sentiments in already quit slacking

Working on it! ;)

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

They were probably aware of the issues, but they couldn't afford, literally, to delay the game once more. The game has so many problems regarding skills, talents, items, companions and quests that's it's virtually impossible that they went through the QA process undetected. That's the reality of (modern) game development.

Okay, I understand that, but I still dont get why they would prioritize balancing over two widespread game-breaking bugs? If we talk about small and/or avoidable bugs, the occasional crash or the odd incompatible hardware driver, sure, but this? It makes no sense to me. 

Okay, I understand that, but I still dont get why they would prioritize balancing over two widespread game-breaking bugs? If we talk about small and/or avoidable bugs, the occasional crash or the odd incompatible hardware driver, sure, but this? It makes no sense to me. 

When did the devs state that they were prioritizing balancing over game-breaking issues? I wasn't aware of that.

When did the devs state that they were prioritizing balancing over game-breaking issues? I wasn't aware of that.

It was kind of implied when they did a lot of balancing during the last few weeks before release. 

The bugs were actually not as obvious as people think they are. Remember that both bugs only occur under very special conditions (being in the same area as the NPC joined, having stat-boosting items on them, saving/loading while not being inside a house or any interior, etc.) and that the QA team probably was very small (remember that there were only about 12 permanent members working on PoE at any point). It's actually very likely that such a bug that only manifests for people that play casually (save and load often) vs people that are in a hurry and blaze through the content slips under the radar.

This bug is not that obvious either I just hope it gets fixed along with the others.

Using stash erases similar letters/books!