Endless Paths Level 7...why?

Hey all. So in the Endless Paths (the dungeon under your keep) theres all these different forges you can go around turning on...but they don't actually seem to do anything. I turned all of them on, collected the stones things a such and nothing, no door unlocks, no journal entry, no new monster spawns...just nothing. So why does this even exist?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm laughing at myself, really.  like most people, I entirely cleared the level before I started activating the forges.

this needed to be designed better I think.

the spirit warns you, but it should actually give you direct advice to activate the forges, and why.

also, I agree that it should be actually a minor quest, which activates when you talk to the spirit near the exit area, and updates when you activate all the forges.

meh, probably got lost in the rush to finish.

• Like 3

I'm laughing at myself, really.  like most people, I entirely cleared the level before I started activating the forges.

the spirit warns you, but it should actually give you direct advice to activate the forges, and why.

also, I agree that it should be actually a minor quest, which activates when you talk to the spirit near the exit area, and updates when you activate all the forges.

I think the warning spirit stands to close to the blights.

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

I think you also need to activate them to open the door to the lower level.

Given people's propensity to just press red buttons to see what'll happen, it's still unfortunate level design.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Yeah that Elemental level was sloppy made...

Total anti climax that nothing really happened when everything was cleared.

Tbh most puzzles are quite shallow...wish they'd make it more complex and chalenging.

I think you also need to activate them to open the door to the lower level.

Given people's propensity to just press red buttons to see what'll happen, it's still unfortunate level design.

nope, you can entirely bypass everything in the level except the area in front of the exit, and once you kill all the monsters there, there is a switch to open the door.

you don't need to do anythng with the forges at all, if you don't want to.  some might argue it actually takes less effort to do that one hard fight than all the lesser fights needed to activate the forges.

in fact, looking back on it, i would make that argument.  you're actually better off ignoring the forges if the idea is to limit unecessary combat.

again, poor design IMO.

Yes, I was expecting something interesting to happen when I enabled the forges. It's nice to know they do something, even if I only found out by reading comments from other players.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hehe, gonna get flamed for this, but don't care.

Devs mentioned a few times how modern gamers have been spoiled with quest pointers and journal entries that hand-hold the player though the game.

I guess this thread is Exhibit A

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Level 7 exists to crush Kana's dreams.

When you meet him and start talking about his quest, he totally gushes about his personal hero, Gabrannos (who is so powerful he is rumored to even have power over the elements).

When you meet Gabrannos, you realize that he was a sadistic bastard and that he gained his "power over the elements" by conducting experiments on prisoners for Od Nua.

Not only is Kana's hero not the person he thought he was, but the writings he left home for, the book he's pinned all his dreams on reading, is gone.

That's what level 7 does

• Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I need to make some sort of perk mod that gives you little amounts of cool **** for doing this ****.

yup.

How about an item that gives you the ability to summon a blight once per rest, just like the druid level 4(?) spell does.

that would make perfect sense.

make it more interesting?

it has a 25% chance to call a greater blight instead of a regular one.

more interesting still?

you get to choose the realm of blight.

more interesting STILL?

Kana refuses to use it, calling it one of "Gabrannos' abominations"; not only that, but you gain a point in cruelty if you have him in your party and choose to use it anyway.

Edited by Ichthyic

Well, even just getting a +1-3 appropriate resistance for every elemental chained would be lovely. Fiddle with the dialogue to make it clearer that this is a choice. Your item idea is also great... some otherwise doubtful item with a binding for Minor Blights might also be nice.