10 hours played, only level 4.

Am I moving exceedingly slow, or is this a semi-normal pace for the game? This being my first CRPG, I have no idea what the norm is. 

I have a feeling it's kinda slow, cause I'm taking my time, reading everything I come across, and just enjoying myself. Loving the game so far, and I know it doesn't matter how long I take to play/beat the game, but I'm just intrigued.

I would say you're fine. The max level is 12 and its unlikely that you'll reach that unless you try to do everything you come across and fight everything that you can. So you're already 1/3 a way through the levels, assuming it took you another 20 hours to do the others that would be a good 30 hour gameplay experience (I'm not sure how many hours Pillars takes to fully complete everything, but if you take your time, enjoy the environments and atmosphere, read all the dialogue and books and stuff, then you'll be in the world for a fair bit, and for a lot of that time you won't be leveling). 

So long story short, don't worry about it!

• Like 1

Haha, I wasn't worried about taking too long. Currently in my play through of Dragon Age: Inquisition, I'm sitting around 96 hours. I'm not out to get the story ASAP, I'm here to have a good time. I wasn't aware the max level was 12 though, that's kind of shocking. I guess I wasn't expecting anything higher than 20, but 12? Alrighty then.

I'm enjoying the crap out of myself currently though. Lots of story to read. Combat has been ok, the engagement system is kind of a pain. I made a Paladin as my created, and I'm using Eder has a dual wielding fighter, but he ends up engaging first a lot of times, which gets him hurt quite a bit. Also....my priest seems to be a target often enough to be annoying. 

I've only completely wiped once though, so I'm counting that as an accomplishment, even on Easy :-P

Haha, I wasn't worried about taking too long. Currently in my play through of Dragon Age: Inquisition, I'm sitting around 96 hours. I'm not out to get the story ASAP, I'm here to have a good time. I wasn't aware the max level was 12 though, that's kind of shocking. I guess I wasn't expecting anything higher than 20, but 12? Alrighty then.

I'm enjoying the crap out of myself currently though. Lots of story to read. Combat has been ok, the engagement system is kind of a pain. I made a Paladin as my created, and I'm using Eder has a dual wielding fighter, but he ends up engaging first a lot of times, which gets him hurt quite a bit. Also....my priest seems to be a target often enough to be annoying. 

I've only completely wiped once though, so I'm counting that as an accomplishment, even on Easy :-P

I mean, Baldur's Gate 1(+Expansion) was probably about 40-60 hours, maybe more for brand new players? And they said that PoE was supposed to be closet to that in relative gameplay and level-wise (I'm pretty sure). Baldur's Gate 2 (+Expansion) was probably like 50-80 hours, depending on how much experience you had. And thats without replay value, which these games tend to have a lot of. Plus, I mean these games can take a lot more, depending on how much time you put into learning the lore and whatnot through books, etc. So really depends on your playstyle, but if I had to guess I'd say those hours are reasonable.

So probably 40-60 hours for PoE, although it'll probably take more if you include getting used to the new systems and learning about all the lore and really exploring the world.

Also, level 12 might not seem like much compared to games like Dragon Age now-a-days, but for BG1 the max was like 8-9 and that still had plenty of gameplay and hours to it. Then in Baldur's Gate 2, you started at 8ish and worked your way up to around 18-20, then around 35-40 with the expansion pack. Supposedly, PoE is meant to be more like BG1, while a future game would potentially be more like BG2 (if I recall correctly, someone correct me if I am wrong.)

Like others said, level-ups tend to be more meaningful in these types of games. Quality over quantity, that type of thing lol.

Trust me, if PoE turns out like BG1, you'll be exploring a deep, rich world and taking it slow will just make you appreciate it more. Have fun! Glad to hear you enjoy it!

Edited by Hellraiser789

Perfectly normal for this type of game. At least for some of us.

On replays it tends to go quite a bit faster as you're familiar with stuff/quests/locations but the first time? I'm slower than a snail trudging through molasses.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Levelling speed is a consquence of the level cap, which is 12. It's low for most new RPGs, but in line with games Pillars was inspired by, like Baldur's Gate (even lower cap) and to lesser extent Icewind Dale (a bit higher cap). Of course, I'm talking about the originals here, not the sequels.

Playing on Hard, at 30 hours in, I was mostly level 4 with two level 3s (hired them later on when my level 4s were having trouble).

Now, with 33 hours played, my four level 4s just made their 5th level, and my level 3s are about one XP gain away from their 4th levels.

Feels good to me.

Edited by Delicieuxz

I was level 5 at 10 hours, it's normal for CRPGs and leveling does feel awesome. At some point I wanted to level up so I could put 1 point in mechanics, just to open a door in a castle (turns out you can just find another way), felt an oldschool kind of awesome.

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

The max level is 12, so leveling is going to get slow later on.

Levelling actually probably hits two really steep slopes, you hit a faster patch when you start doing Defiance Bay content, and when you hit lvl 8-10 and can do bounties/finish Endless paths, you rapidly hit lvl 12 in my experience.  Bounties esp, if you're playing well you can race through the bounties and hit the cap post-act 2.  

• Like 1

Am I moving exceedingly slow, or is this a semi-normal pace for the game? This being my first CRPG, I have no idea what the norm is. 

I have a feeling it's kinda slow, cause I'm taking my time, reading everything I come across, and just enjoying myself. Loving the game so far, and I know it doesn't matter how long I take to play/beat the game, but I'm just intrigued.

Normal. I am @6 and I'm 36h in.

18 hours, levels 4 and 3...

But I have been reading a lot of the combat log, I like the combat system and wanted to know how it worked exactly, and how to build my character.

The combat log is one of the things I most enjoy of the game, being able to KNOW what your abilities do for real, and see the debuffs being reflected in the rolls.

Gives a great satisfaction when you blind someone.

Ive played now for about 43 hours since release date (over 3 days) having worked 1 of those days too.

Im currently level 6, going to all areas, making notes of things I cant do yet, killing ALL the things I find and as many quests as I can.......so level 4 is amazingly fast in comparison, however, what loots or storey texts have you missed? hmmmm? :D

Oh and I haven't done Defiance Bay at all yet, I've completed literally everything before that and Dyrford to about 90% (not completed all yet).

The bay is next on my list...OR IS IT! :D

Amazing game ^^

GG POE

Edited by LeHeup80

cCLgG1t.png