Hey, I've played with a couple of classess and I think I find chanter one of the more interesting choices but I can't help but feel that I'm taking bad chant picks.

The first time I played a chanter I took the .9 slash and blunt? chant and the endurance drain chant, both seemed nice until I realized the damage reduction isnt going to be that useful at such a low level and that the endurance drain doesn't seem to work properly(absorb? or just removal? I stood there for awhile on a week enemy with my mouse on it it and didn't notice any of its endurance going away).

So to all people more knowledgeable than me, what chants should I pick and how should I use them properly? If there is only one really good chant should I use it twice(does it stack with the linger effect?) on my chant sheet instead of toggling between two and losing the effect of one for a bit?

Thanks.

Can I piggy-back on this question?

I have Kana in my party, but I just don't know how to use him. I've given him a ranged weapon, and he's using the stock/original chants he started with, but I never cast any spells with him because the battles are over so quickly. Any tips on how to get more from him?

I wonder if it's subject to DR? I know I get a lot of pauses/pop-ups for ineffective hits from my chanter, even when his weapon seems to be hitting fine, particularly when he's not actually swinging. Either there's a bug on reporting, or the chant is getting resisted; which would be silly, since it only does for damage per tick (or is that total)?

I have Kana in my party, but I just don't know how to use him. I've given him a ranged weapon, and he's using the stock/original chants he started with, but I never cast any spells with him because the battles are over so quickly. Any tips on how to get more from him?

Kana makes an excellent tank.  Put the heaviest armor you can on him, a shield and 1h weapon, then send that sucker in with some chants-- it really doesn't even matter which chant.

This happended to me as well when I first got him, it came to a point where I was really confused about how the Chanter class works. Any way then I went down into the Od Nua endless dungeon under Caed Nua, and the amount of enemies per engagement meant he had the time needed to sing the necessary three chants to get to 3 points, and now I love him (or rather I love his skeletons :getlost: ).

I agree with Baleros about the tank/offtank comment. At first I used him ranged with his standard rifle, which worked fine enough. Now I have him in plate armor, shield and sword. That combined with getting him to a higher level where I can prepare two different sets of chants: 1 defensive giving loads of buffs to defense and 1 offensive giving buffs to offense, means he is fast becoming the most useful companion I have.

Well, think of it this way:

Chanter himself is a great way to buff up and debuff your ennemies.

To do any feasible damage has to have good strength.

Summons damage is not affected by Chanter's Might.

So, as I see it the best use of Chanter is a summoner tank/offtank right now, with nice auras, and summons.

Also, the chant lingers are not lasting enough to cross-cover alot even with 2 chants, so basically you sing 1 chant to keep it up 100%, you may pick different one for every fight depending on enemies (e.g. if it's a pack of Wolves, you want the -piercing damage chant for 10% damage debuff, or even better the +Fortitude chant to avoid being knocked down which will hurt more)

This happended to me as well when I first got him, it came to a point where I was really confused about how the Chanter class works. Any way then I went down into the Od Nua endless dungeon under Caed Nua, and the amount of enemies per engagement meant he had the time needed to sing the necessary three chants to get to 3 points, and now I love him (or rather I love his skeletons :getlost: ).

I agree with Baleros about the tank/offtank comment. At first I used him ranged with his standard rifle, which worked fine enough. Now I have him in plate armor, shield and sword. That combined with getting him to a higher level where I can prepare two different sets of chants: 1 defensive giving loads of buffs to defense and 1 offensive giving buffs to offense, means he is fast becoming the most useful companion I have.

I'm basically on the first half of your progression, just giving him the rifle and leaving him in the 2nd row so his AoE chants impact front liners and backbencher casters, but I feel like the slowness of the rifle is hurting him (although the opening volley is great). Do you know if weapon speed/recovery impacts chants? I know it would impact the casting of the invocation after 3 chants, but does it affect the speed of the chants themselves?

I'm basically on the first half of your progression, just giving him the rifle and leaving him in the 2nd row so his AoE chants impact front liners and backbencher casters, but I feel like the slowness of the rifle is hurting him (although the opening volley is great). Do you know if weapon speed/recovery impacts chants? I know it would impact the casting of the invocation after 3 chants, but does it affect the speed of the chants themselves?

Weapon speed/recovery has no affect on chants, infact, I don't think it even affects invocations.

I think heavier armour will affect the recovery time after using an invocation (ie, till you start chanting again) but this has such a minimal effect on your overall performance that I see little reason not to stick all chanters in plate.

I'm basically on the first half of your progression, just giving him the rifle and leaving him in the 2nd row so his AoE chants impact front liners and backbencher casters, but I feel like the slowness of the rifle is hurting him (although the opening volley is great).

Chanters eventually get a song that speeds up gun reload times significantly.

I'm basically on the first half of your progression, just giving him the rifle and leaving him in the 2nd row so his AoE chants impact front liners and backbencher casters, but I feel like the slowness of the rifle is hurting him (although the opening volley is great).

Chanters eventually get a song that speeds up gun reload times significantly.

This is a very good point, the one situation i'd see not putting a chanter in plate is if you go ranged DPS chanter and use that chant with some of the other DPS focused chants and invocations (and/or summons to block enemies from reaching you). You wont be getting your invocations as much (because fights wont last as long) but your gonna boost the ranged dps of both yourself and your party, which could be pretty effective, I've not tried this though, maybe I'll try a 4 ranger/rogue/cypher + ranged DPS chanter  + something else composition some time :D

Yes of course, Dex has 0 impact on chants and invocations

This is why my Chanters are running with 3 in it xD

Weapon speed/recovery has no affect on chants, infact, I don't think it even affects invocations.
I think heavier armour will affect the recovery time after using an invocation (ie, till you start chanting again) but this has such a minimal effect on your overall performance that I see little reason not to stick all chanters in plate.

I wouldn't always recomend that though, Dex has no affect on the chants, but it still affects their attack speed, which will affect the DPS of their basic weapon attacks, which is most of their DPS, especially for the first 12 seconds of combat.

This does of course depend on your build, if you're a pure tank you probably don't care about their DPS ^^

Edited by Koiju

Yeah, well, if you want to make a DPS Chanter, who is not reliant on summons for damage, that's whole different story of course

Then max Might/Dex, dump everything else, pick chants to add damage and get summons, and give her Blunderbuss

Gun reloading chant will do wonders too

Will blow everything away from behind of a good tanker

I wouldn't always recomend that though, Dex has no affect on the chants, but it still affects their attack speed, which will affect the DPS of their basic weapon attacks, which is most of their DPS, especially for the first 12 seconds of combat.

This does of course depend on your build, if you're a pure tank you probably don't care about their DPS ^^

Edited by Ansa

Does it get better? 

I feel like it takes forever to ramp up to even get an invocation. 9 times out of 10 i'm slaying the last enemy as i'm getting to cast 1 summon...

By all acounts, it actually gets worse. Higher level chants take longer to speak and higher level invocations take more chants to cast.

Technically, it takes longer to get your points at higher levels (higher level chants take longer) however, fights also become longer.

TBH, in my (admitedly limited) experience of the game and as a chanter, having a chanter and making the most of them requires playing a certain way, at least when it comes to tankchanters. It's worth noting that wearing armour slows down your DPS, but will slow the DPS of the enemy hitting you by more, so a strategy that can work with chanters is to go plate armour on the whole party. All the fights will take longer, but thats a good thing with a chanter or two (it will however, require you to get to athletics 3 on everyone, though I'd recommed that anyway). As for DPS chanters, I've not tried one, so I don't know about that.

Generally for alot of 'trash fights' you wont need your invocations anyway, but it can be very handy for a few of the tougher fights.

Another tactic I've used is to summon skeletons even when there is only one enemy left, then run them off towards another pack of enemies to aggro those, you wont get your per encounter powers back, but you do get to start the encounter with your skeletons already up! I actually used this in the ruined prison below Caed Nua (which is FULL of spiders) and cleared the entire map in just one encounter, ended up with me and the chanter NPC casting skelletons about 4 times each in all, chaining from pack to pack, took almost no damage at all in the process :D