O btw the music is good

I remember during the Backer Beta a lot of us said the music was "meh" and did it's job but was otherwise nothing special. The guy that did the music came in the thread and was pretty chill considering we were sitting there calling his work mediocre.

During the Backer Beta we saw Dryford Village, and admittedly the music there still isn't my favorite (though it's definitely been touched up some, I noticed), but was happy to see that it seemed like it was just bad luck we were showcased the area with the most mediocre music of the game, with the other songs all doing pretty excellent.

Just felt like posting my appreciation for the music since wtf we still sat there and said "YA IT MEDIOCRE" and I'm happy to be wrong. Especially fond of these two gems, which both match their setting beautifully:

Also yes I am aware those uploaders probably don't have permission to upload the songs, but also I gotta be real and say good luck Obsidian if you have any interest in keeping the songs off youtube. :c  Mods feel free to remove the vids though and punch me in the groin if you want to.

• Like 19

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

I really like the music and feel it fits the game well. I hear lots of influences from past games ....(and recent movies.)  Like most music, it enhances the environment. On it's own it might sound lackluster or repetitive... but in the background it fills in the blanks.

I remember during the Backer Beta a lot of us said the music was "meh" and did it's job but was otherwise nothing special. The guy that did the music came in the thread and was pretty chill considering we were sitting there calling his work mediocre.

During the Backer Beta we saw Dryford Village, and admittedly the music there still isn't my favorite (though it's definitely been touched up some, I noticed), but was happy to see that it seemed like it was just bad luck we were showcased the area with the most mediocre music of the game, with the other songs all doing pretty excellent.

Just felt like posting my appreciation for the music since wtf we still sat there and said "YA IT MEDIOCRE" and I'm happy to be wrong. Especially fond of these two gems, which both match their setting beautifully:

Also yes I am aware those uploaders probably don't have permission to upload the songs, but also I gotta be real and say good luck Obsidian if you have any interest in keeping the songs off youtube. :c  Mods feel free to remove the vids though and punch me in the groin if you want to.

Thank you very much for saying this.  I remember those days very well.  Not going to lie, it was hard to hear, but I'm happy I've redeemed myself (at least to some of you).  I worked my tail off to make sure it's as good as it can be given the timeframe and volume of work.  

But yeah, taking criticism is part of the job.  No one likes to hear it, but you gotta grow thick skin in this industry.  And at the end of the day we want you guys to enjoy yourselves, because this game is for you!

• Like 23

Justin, I have 2 questions - 1) are there (game) areas' themes that are not included in the downloadable soundtrack, and 2) did you update the mp3s in the zip file with metadata and complete versions of the two incomplete themes?

Cheers!

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

This is more than a great soundtrack. It's the right soundtrack for the game. The friend I gave my 2nd key to, was afraid that the music wouldn't live up to the BG music. He is a very stoic guy, but after playing a few hours he called me on the phone, extremely happy about the music, how it took him to the best of times with BG 2. I agreed with him hang up and played on. :) 
Amazing job Justin!

• Like 2

The music is cool. Especially within the context of it playing through the game itself.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This is more than a great soundtrack. It's the right soundtrack for the game.

Exactly.

I know I like a soundtrack when I've played many hours and have yet to turn the music OFF to either play my own music or listen to silence instead. I mean, sure, there's some pieces in the game that I may like more than others, but so far for me, everything has fit in very nicely with the game and I've enjoyed it very much both as atmosphere lifting and background listening.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, I love the music. I was thinking of posting a thread about it once things quiet down here a bit but Longknife beat me to it.

It's just too bad not all of it is performed live. The synthesized tracks stick out somewhat. The sound design in general is really good, the very occasional mixing wonkiness aside.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Jad make an account just to agree. I think the music is outstanding. When i started up the game for the first time, my room mate came im, and being a hobby musician himself, the first sting has mentioned,was: "Oh wow, that game got some great music." (He knew i had a new game, but approached from behind the screen, only hearing the music first.)

so yeah, well done, very well indeed.

p.s.: btw, i seem to be unable to upload a profile picture. are there any requirements, like specific file types?

Hi Gairnulf,   Yes there are area themes that aren't in the downloadable soundtrack.  Working on the mp3 metadata now.  Some other bugs came up that I have to address soon, but this is at the top of my list today.

I listened the soundtrack downloaded by the backer portal and I would simply said: compliment for your work, it's very evocative and it "transpires" an epic soul and your passion in creating it! I hope let my bad english (I'm Italian, sorry in advance for any error) understand my gratitudine to you and the developers for your effort in this beatiful project!

Another upvote.

I like that the combat music is the most nostalgic and very reminiscent of BG, while the scene-setting music for the different areas has more of its own feel, making Eora feel like its own place rather than just The Forgotten Realms 2.0.

• Like 1

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Thank you very much for saying this.  I remember those days very well.  Not going to lie, it was hard to hear, but I'm happy I've redeemed myself (at least to some of you).  I worked my tail off to make sure it's as good as it can be given the timeframe and volume of work.  

But yeah, taking criticism is part of the job.  No one likes to hear it, but you gotta grow thick skin in this industry.  And at the end of the day we want you guys to enjoy yourselves, because this game is for you!

Hearing someone say your art isn't good is ALWAYS hard to hear, because I think there's this sense of "art cannot fully be taught" (not to say studying art isn't helpful, just I don't expect someone with no talent to suddenly become Beethoven, Picasso or Shakespeare through mere education alone) so you either have it or you don't, to a degree. That's not to say good musicians/writers/artists aren't without their failures. I know a painter living in Austria who got absolutely zero recognition in the US, but now they love him in Austria and he's got his own art studio in Vienna iirc. It's just that when someone criticizes your art, of course you second-guess if you're just not cut out for it or if it's a matter of improving.

I actually played an MMO with one of the writers for Dishonored, and he was announcing to us when the game came out and asking us to go buy it. He even said he'd be interested in my opinion since I'd often raved about New Vegas' writing and ranted about Skyrim's. PURPOSEFULLY avoided buying that game because I'm terrible at lying, but also know how painful it can be to hear one's art criticized. To this day I haven't played it or looked up the story for the level he did.

So yeah when I heard some of the songs it was kind of like a mental note to make this post cause I had a feeling it was hard to hear. I think I mentioned before that this song really set the mood of hearing the initiation speech to the Companions in Skyrim (in German, which as it so turns out is better voice acted and more dramatic) and made that moment memorable. The two songs of yours I linked in my first post had the exact same effect.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

No offense to Obsidian writers, but I feel the music is the best part of the game. Me and my mates have been discussing it for days now. I can't shake off the feeling that some tracks feel like tributes to some "famous" pieces, but I do like them all!

• Like 1

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

I don't think the music is the best part. I sometimes think it can be overly dramatic. However, it's a damned good part. I actually think Bell did a stellar job with it. I kind of liked his stuff during the kickstarter and whatnot, but I really dig the 'feel' of the music. Anyhow, I'm only early into the game, but I'm diggin' it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't think the music is the best part. I sometimes think it can be overly dramatic. However, it's a damned good part. I actually think Bell did a stellar job with it. I kind of liked his stuff during the kickstarter and whatnot, but I really dig the 'feel' of the music. Anyhow, I'm only early into the game, but I'm diggin' it.

How do you not like dramatic music wtf?

I actually hate anime cause it's plots are so melodramatic and over-the-top, but I consistently find myself browsing anime music cause I think drama suits music well, and sure enough the music used is often dramatic....or that crappy Jpop stuff.

Because sometimes the scene isn't dramatic enough to warrant the change. I really like the change in certain scenes, though, like the... well, no spoilers from me, but there are a few scenes early on that I think the music really accentuates. ...But, no, I do sometimes want the music a bit more in the background. Of course, my favorite music is the background music just walking around and whatnot. <.< :Cant's sheepish grin icon: I'm only early in the game, but once it quiets down I'm going to spend every moment I can playing. I had high hopes, and it looks like I won't be disappointed. Still reserve judgment, but everything looks (and sounds!) awesome so far.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There's a graveyard/undead zone song that sounds like it was inspired by the opening theme to Eye of the Beholder 2: Darkmoon. Not heritage hill on the official soundtrack., the one with high pitched kind of chimes which I can't find on youtube.

Edited by ComplyOrDie

I really like how the music has been designed to enhance the "feel" of different areas. So far I've noticed it the most at the Stronghold, where there's a very LOTR Shire-esque theme playing to help the area feel more safe and home-like. 

In the beta I felt the music was good, but hearing the music in context with different areas and such adds a lot to the atmosphere. Normally I disable background music in games because it detracts from immersion, but this is one of the few games where I think the background music actually adds to the immersion.

I've only just begun Act 2; I'm looking forward to hearing more. Just one more thing for me to love about this game.