Are there any games like PoE, Baldur's Gate, etc, but in a science fiction setting?

Title pretty much says it all. I'll be more specific here. I'm looking for a game that's like PoE (both graphically and in gameplay). I'd prefer it not be Fallout 1 or 2 since they are post-apocalyptic, even though they do have science fiction elements. I'd like something that's more in the realm of space opera or cyberpunk or just anything with a generally futuristic sci-fi feel to it.

If you could help me out that would be cool. If this genre doesn't have sci-fi games that's a damn shame, a lot of potential there. 

Thanks,

Albion

• Like 1

Used to be a few waaayyyy back. I remember playing and awesome one on a black and white Macintosh.

I don't remember the names, sorry, but isometric RPGs have essentially been dead for a long time. High fantasy is basically all that has been made for an Eternity, and not much of that really.

Would love to see PoE reinvigorate the genre and allow developers to explore new themes :)

Edited by Hogfather

Used to be a few waaayyyy back. I remember playing and awesome one on a black and white Macintosh.

I don't remember the names, sorry, but isometric RPGs have essentially been dead for a long time. High fantasy is basically all that has been made for an Eternity, and not much of that really.

Would love to see PoE reinvigorate the genre and allow developers to explore new themes :)

Maybe the old SSI Buck Rogers games?  The first was "Countdown to Doomsday," and I think there was a sequel, but I don't recall the name. 

Title pretty much says it all. I'll be more specific here. I'm looking for a game that's like PoE (both graphically and in gameplay). I'd prefer it not be Fallout 1 or 2 since they are post-apocalyptic, even though they do have science fiction elements. I'd like something that's more in the realm of space opera or cyberpunk or just anything with a generally futuristic sci-fi feel to it.

If you could help me out that would be cool. If this genre doesn't have sci-fi games that's a damn shame, a lot of potential there. 

Thanks,

Albion

I'd love an Infinity Engine / Pillars of Eternity-esque sci-fi game... eventually getting control of a ship, having a crew as your party... it'd be awesome.

Like Mass Effect, but with deeper plot and more character (and isometric!), I think it'd be great.

Sadly, I can't help though, I don't know any sci-fi isometric RPG's.

There's Stasis, which is more of an adventure game, but looks very cool, it was Kickstarted last year I believe; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity!

Thanks,

Albion

I'd love an Infinity Engine / Pillars of Eternity-esque sci-fi game... eventually getting control of a ship, having a crew as your party... it'd be awesome.

Like Mass Effect, but with deeper plot and more character (and isometric!), I think it'd be great.

Sadly, I can't help though, I don't know any sci-fi isometric RPG's.

There's Stasis, which is more of an adventure game, but looks very cool, it was Kickstarted last year I believe; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/stasis-2d-isometric-scifi-horror-adventure-game

This would be soooo great!

Thanks,

Albion

I would say that the recently kickstarted  'Shadowrun Returns' (especially the Dragonfall campaign) is pretty darn close to what you're looking for. It's a bit more combat heavy than PoE, but the writing is still very solid.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys (and keep them coming)! 

It's a shame that science fiction in the same genre as PoE or Baldur's Gate hasn't been exploited yet. The potential is limitless. Like what Lord Weh was saying, being able to get your own ship and crew and going on intergalactic adventures would awesome. 

• Like 1

Thats difficult, there isn´t much.

But you also said Cyberpunk so you might want to check out:

Shadowrun Returns
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/

Shadowrun Dragonfall
http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/

Shadowrun is similar in game play not exactly a carbon copy though, the setting is pretty interesting. I enjoyed both games greatly, with the first part being very liniar and Dragonfall more open. However they don´t have the big (playable) world of PoE.

Edit: ups, others were slightly faster :p

Edit 2: If you are into roundbased combat, difficulty and strategy you may want to take a look at XCom, however its also very different, still worth checking out imo:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

Edited by cirdanx
  • Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Underrail is a modern day one-man indie gem that takes its inspiration from BG, Fallout and Crusader series of old. You can find it as a bargain on Steam.

That...doesn´t look bad, i think i will buy that, but early access :getlost:

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Thanks,

Albion

the shadowrun games are cyberpunk but the fighting is turn based so not really the same as baldurs gate really fun though...

Not sci-fi but arcanum is a great game its fantasy (elves and stuff) mixed with steampunk so you have orcs flying fighter planes and stuff.

I would check it out if you haven't played it.

Break beneath the endless tide - monk

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is fantastic, and very similar (but with turn-based combat). Don't bother with Shadowrun Returns unless you play Dragonfall and want more (Dragonfall is much better).

Kickstarter sister Torment: Tides of Numenera is a sci-fi/fantasy setting, and is coming out later this year (maybe) as well.

Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall are both great games. The writing is top-tier (IMHO better than Pillars) with the great cRPGs.

You may want to check Crusader series.

And there is Septerra Core. I've played it a few years ago and liked (never finished it). Has a Final Fantasy VII vibe on it.

KOTOR I and II (but they are not isometric).

I love Arcanum.. one of my favorite games. I've probably played it about once a year since it's release. I still find new stuff I haven't encountered before.

Most games have been listed here. The only other ones I can think of are Syndicate and Syndicate Wars. Not really rpg.. not really strategy, although elements of both. I have no idea what genre they'd fall under. Fun at any rate.