Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

Might have to kill the bears, then.

Don't think that's possible with level 3 barbarian.  You take 40-50 or more slash damage crits from a single one of them (let alone 3), through 9 slash DR.

Did you get the platemail from the backer NPC?

Nope, I've been trying to avoid murdering NPCs to see if there's any way around it.  I'll buy some platemail if the blacksmith has it and see if that makes any difference as a test.

Edited by AgentElrond

I can quite reliably kill the bear but thats probably because moonlike have essentially double the HP of other race (the combined heals add up to something like 100% of your health depending on your levels of might and con. Moonlike are so good that when i tried a wild orlan monk I was genuinely surprised how much faster i died lol.

Might have to kill the bears, then.

Don't think that's possible with level 3 barbarian.  You take 40-50 or more slash damage crits from a single one of them (let alone 3), through 9 slash DR.

Did you get the platemail from the backer NPC?

Nope, I've been trying to avoid murdering NPCs to see if there's any way around it.  I'll buy some platemail if the blacksmith has it and see if that makes any difference as a test.

The backer npc has the heaviest armour you will encounter for quite a while

I can quite reliably kill the bear but thats probably because moonlike have essentially double the HP of other race (the combined heals add up to something like 100% of your health depending on your levels of might and con. Moonlike are so good that when i tried a wild orlan monk I was genuinely surprised how much faster i died lol.

At what level can you kill the bear though?  Moonlike barbarian as well I assume.

Which NPC is that?  I tried armored plate just now, and had basically the same result I've had every time.  Killed all the small wolves, died to the big wolf which was only "badly injured", using a mace no shield.  Part of it might be that I'm using frenzy before fighting the big wolf, but I feel like using frenzy then would just make me get knocked down more often.

Edited by AgentElrond

At what level can you kill the bear though?  Moonlike barbarian as well I assume.

Which NPC is that?  I tried armored plate just now, and had basically the same result I've had every time.  Killed all the small wolves, died to the big wolf which was only "badly injured", using a mace no shield.  Part of it might be that I'm using frenzy before fighting the big wolf, but I feel like using frenzy then would just make me get knocked down more often.

If you're dead set against free platemail you can scrounge up the 1500c(lol) for Fine Mail after finishing the Blacksmith's quest.  You probably need the blunting belt, as well.

If you're dead set against free platemail you can scrounge up the 1500c(lol) for Fine Mail after finishing the Blacksmith's quest.  You probably need the blunting belt, as well.

I'd consider it, but I honestly don't know which NPC you're talking about who has the platemail.  :p  If I spend 1500-3000 gold on fine mail and/or blunting belt, that means I might kill the wolves, but I still don't get to level 4 and now will be 4000 gold behind the figurine.

If I don't buy platemail and blunting belt, I have about 4000 gold after selling most everything good and disposable besides ingredients.  5599 XP.

Edited by AgentElrond

I'm guessing the NPC you are referring to is Theal, the one to the right of the tree?  He has DR 12, so even with the mace I only got him to "badly injured" before dying through triple moonlike healing and savage defiance.  That doesn't exactly seem "free" platemail.  :p

All attempts to hit the phantom in the temple using fan of flames without the figurine have failed, and I know of no method to stealth through or beat the Caed Nua hallway without the figurine.  I'd love to know if there are possible ways, but I'm saying with the build I'm using, trying to follow the videos I have, I just don't see the possibilities yet.

Interesting, you went with a lot more CON and a lot less INT than me.  I figured INT was very important for barbarians to increase the carnage splash.

You didn't get frenzy, accurate carnage, OR savage defiance?  The person on youtube said they were key, at least savage defiance, so let me know how it goes.

I'm 5 XP away from level 4 now...I don't know if it's at all reliable, but I burned a bunch of items to max out the wolf and xaurip XP, and managed to talk to Ranga.  I think I can get the remaining 5 XP from the entrance of Raedric's dungeon, and we'll see if level 4 gets me anywhere.

Character sheet:

3DOY8UZ.png

Result:

EBKMyk7.png

Utter insanity!  I'm level three already and I haven't even completed the miller quest, cook quest, or watcher quest!

Why take those attributes? I took lower dex, higher might, a hit to perception in favor of resolve, and a few points in intelligence.

I think I'm going to sit down and try out monk long term. I've only dabbled with it, but it seems like everyone's playing the barbarian nowadays. And I can totally understand why, all things considered!

Edited by Lasci

I think I lowered might to increase Dex, I think.  Offset the armor penalties and whatnot.  Doesn't matter really, I didn't make the build to beat the whole game, just to show that you can kill the platemail guy.  Taking Frenzy, accurate carnage, whatever wouldn't have made me any less able to kill platemail guy.  I don't know how he would handle the phantom areas, but it would probably require some serious deflection and/or fortitude boosting.

I'm not actually playing Barb, I just wanted to show that guy it's pretty easy to figure out a way to kill that guy.  He probably just has to switch his weapons or something.  Platemail guy has a rapier(lol) and obviously high slash resistance so if he can get a hold of a mace (intro temple) and maybe a stiletto or literally anything but a dagger or sword offhand he should be able to take him on just fine with a moonlike.

Edited by Ninjerk

I really wish I'd kept better track of what weapons I got where on my first run through the game! It'd be so much easier to map out a path.

I'm thinking M16 C12 D15 P8 I10 R16. Not sure if the Resolve is necessary, though.

I'm not actually playing Barb, I just wanted to show that guy it's pretty easy to figure out a way to kill that guy.  He probably just has to switch his weapons or something.  Platemail guy has a rapier(lol) and obviously high slash resistance so if he can get a hold of a mace (intro temple) and maybe a stiletto or literally anything but a dagger or sword offhand he should be able to take him on just fine with a moonlike.

That's what I was doing, mace level 3 versus that guy.  I think I managed to take him down if I bought plate mail or blunting belt first, but that sort of defeated the purpose.  I understand that with different stats it's possible (your character is much more tanky and better 1v1 than mine for example), but I suspect that stats similar to these are needed later in the game per the youtube videos.  No offense, just trying to explain the differences.

At level 4 I still lose with mace + breastplate + ring of protection + ring of deflection to the raedric's keep guard, and with stealth 4 I'm coming just short of hitting the door, so I guess I have to finish the temple after all.

Fire godlike barb is soooo good lol.  Was able to take out the woedeca ceremony with two figurines and some defensive scrolls.  Using the azurereith stiletto and switching to the lifesteal flail after jolting touch goes off.

I experimented and failed the temple a couple more times even at level 4.  The double fan of flames WOULD probably kill the phantom...but the phantom has 71 reflex.  I tried a tanglefoot scroll to make it easier to hit, but of course that scroll failed against the 71 reflex as well.  Only hitting one fan of flames wasn't enough in the doorway -- the phantom came through after other enemies died, and stunlocked me until death.

That's what I was doing, mace level 3 versus that guy.  I think I managed to take him down if I bought plate mail or blunting belt first, but that sort of defeated the purpose.  I understand that with different stats it's possible (your character is much more tanky and better 1v1 than mine for example), but I suspect that stats similar to these are needed later in the game per the youtube videos.  No offense, just trying to explain the differences.

At level 4 I still lose with mace + breastplate + ring of protection + ring of deflection to the raedric's keep guard, and with stealth 4 I'm coming just short of hitting the door, so I guess I have to finish the temple after all.

I don't have plate or blunting belt there, and as far as I know you can't buy plate anywhere at this point.

You had the 1v1 build, and more endurance at level 3 than my level 4 barbarian has.  I am guessing that helped.

There's a 250 gold "breastplate" that's the closest cheap thing to platemail.  That's what I was referring to.

Edited by AgentElrond

You had the 1v1 build, and more endurance at level 3 than my level 4 barbarian has.  I am guessing that helped.

There's a 250 gold "breastplate" that's the closest cheap thing to platemail.  That's what I was referring to.

What's your statline?

What's your statline?

15/12/16/11/16/8, frenzy -> accurate carnage -> savage defiance -> stalwart defiance.

I used beer + spirit shield potion + accuracy potion and finally defeated the Raedric's guard, allowing me to loot enough gold in the keep for the figurine.  I'll give the temple a few tries with the figurine.

What's your statline?

15/12/16/11/16/8, frenzy -> accurate carnage -> savage defiance -> stalwart defiance.

I used beer + spirit shield potion + accuracy potion and finally defeated the Raedric's guard, allowing me to loot enough gold in the keep for the figurine.  I'll give the temple a few tries with the figurine.

OK I just used cheat to add xp to level so I could see what's going on there and WOW is stalwart defiance good.

OK I just used cheat to add xp to level so I could see what's going on there and WOW is stalwart defiance good.

Be aware that cheats might be manipulating things so it's not exactly the same as my game.  With the stats and skill order I mentioned, I couldn't 1v1 either that guy or the raedric's roof guard unless I burned potions, got lucky, or purchased expensive armor.

I just tried a few failures at the temple with the figurine.  I fail to see how the player on youtube hit the phantom with 2 fan of flames spells in a row, let alone hitting 5 enemies at once.  76 reflex means the phantom dodges those spells easily, and once the phantom touches you, you're guaranteed dead -- I even tried the battle from the other side with gaun's share and still died once a phantom touched me.  The frost cloak, level 4, 11+ freeze DR, nothing helped.  Maybe the youtube run was extremely lucky, but that means 1.5-2 hours spent every single time just to attempt that battle, on path of iron.

I'll probably try a few other attack positions tomorrow just in case I get lucky.

Edited by AgentElrond

Be aware that cheats might be manipulating things so it's not exactly the same as my game.  With the stats and skill order I mentioned, I couldn't 1v1 either that guy or the raedric's roof guard unless I burned potions, got lucky, or purchased expensive armor.

I just tried a few failures at the temple with the figurine.  I fail to see how the player on youtube hit the phantom with 2 fan of flames spells in a row, let alone hitting 5 enemies at once.  76 reflex means the phantom dodges those spells easily, and once the phantom touches you, you're guaranteed dead -- I even tried the battle from the other side with gaun's share and still died once a phantom touched me.  The frost cloak, level 4, 11+ freeze DR, nothing helped.  Maybe the youtube run was extremely lucky, but that means 1.5-2 hours spent every single time just to attempt that battle, on path of iron.

I'll probably try a few other attack positions tomorrow just in case I get lucky.

I only used a level up cheat to see when things were available on a per-level basis.  IDK, if I get too bored with my Paladin or hit a wall I might try barbs.  Or I might just remake the paladin properly  :facepalm: