Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

the strongest buff monks have, speed buffs stack...they an have at level 3, +3 running speed during combat. there is no mob in gme (to act 3) which runs faster than my monk. makes resetting really easy.

Thats not really as useful as you might think it is unless you are usig that speed to fire arrows or something, The way ive built my monk he does insane dps has accuracy and like 140% attack speed or something crazy like that, means he interupts a fair few abilities as well given his higher than average interupt rating, even in slow mode his fists are a blur :) i mean running fast is useful but eventually ur gonna have to fight and movement speed doesnt help you in a flat out fight

the strongest buff monks have, speed buffs stack...they an have at level 3, +3 running speed during combat. there is no mob in gme (to act 3) which runs faster than my monk. makes resetting really easy.

Thats not really as useful as you might think it is unless you are usig that speed to fire arrows or something, The way ive built my monk he does insane dps has accuracy and like 140% attack speed or something crazy like that, means he interupts a fair few abilities as well given his higher than average interupt rating, even in slow mode his fists are a blur :) i mean running fast is useful but eventually ur gonna have to fight and movement speed doesnt help you in a flat out fight

oops double post

Edited by Ceranai

Actually my monk has really bad ref defence...so i need the speed to avoid spells. and with this high speed, you can "abuse" mobs, I backstab them, and than I run away before they can bind me in melle combat. so half screen, they turn around, more backstabbing.

I didn't skilled attackspped with my monk or interrupt. normal PotD trash gets bombed by retiale strike from armor, the wound gains damage, and my skil with small aoe damage.

strong single encounter get a blunderboss (the shotgun) volley with poision strike talent (means I get per one attack 6 small shoot, which all add the 45 RAW damage from poision strike,)

only think were i'm not sure, i skilled stunning strike and not fire wheel.

the speed would be better, if there is a a pair of shoes like flamewalking, which adds a ground dot. somethink like chater frost trap :)

Edited by Aqvamare

chanter is nice, but he has a really boring playstyl...and you can fall asleep, when you play him in PotD....and sleeping during combat = death.

I think from active playing aspect,

AOE splash barbar as firegod, with fire damage, retiale strike item, autoattack dual life leech or 2h life leech (you get it by the dragon, but the way to him...100 small dragons...feeled^^)

Cipher tank...early game with shild, later without...level 1 spell, which makes chain of damage, level 1 charm, which give you position time....and later many RAW damage spells, which ignore the DR reduction on enemies.

monk...the "poor" people version of splash barbar...works similar, but if you do not go attack speed monk, you spam 1 button.

Chanter, summon cheese...as tank....it sit, wait, sit, wait...and you are the only class, which slows down in fighting speed when you level up...

priest, druid...at the beginning slower than other class, but if you bring them to act 2 and retiale strike items, you become devasting with crazy buffs...and chessy tactics.

Edited by Aqvamare

chanter is nice, but he has a really boring playstyl...and you can fall asleep, when you play him in PotD....and sleeping during combat = death.

I think from active playing aspect,

AOE splash barbar as firegod, with fire damage, retiale strike item, autoattack dual life leech or 2h life leech (you get it by the dragon, but the way to him...100 small dragons...feeled^^)

Cipher tank...early game with shild, later without...level 1 spell, which makes chain of damage, level 1 charm, which give you position time....and later many RAW damage spells, which ignore the DR reduction on enemies.

monk...the "poor" people version of splash barbar...works similar, but if you do not go attack speed monk, you spam 1 button.

Chanter, summon cheese...as tank....it sit, wait, sit, wait...and you are the only class, which slows down in fighting speed when you level up...

priest, druid...at the beginning slower than other class, but if you bring them to act 2 and retiale strike items, you become devasting with crazy buffs...and chessy tactics.

does the phantom become that useless later game?

it start to become useless against some foes around level 4...

in PotD his hit rating is not high enough (only 40) against deflection value of many enemies (most cases around 65-80 in act 2).

His life stays always at 50....which is nothing...you can cheese enorm with him, and with flanking bonus (summoning him in the back of enemy, you can boost his hit rating with 10 points) but this it.

at level 6 i normally switch to drakons....overall they are far weaker, but as tank canter with fear debuff chant, you simply sit in doorway, summon the 3 dragons in safe side, and they start nuking with fire damage...not high number, but high enough with time.

I'm still trying to find a way, with moon godlike barbarian, to either get level 4 or get 5000 gold for the horn.  I don't want to kill tons of NPCs, but I can't find anything else I can reliably do.  Can't get in Raedric's fortress yet, can't do the temple without getting extremely lucky (I need to hit a phantom with two fan of flames scrolls, and I haven't managed to hit it ONCE with fan of flames yet), can't get even close to Ranga reliably, etc.

I did find that you can get two spider legs by leading a spider to the stag in black meadow.  The stag will kill both spiders so you lose out on XP if you don't get lucky with the last hit, but it seems like it might be worth it to get the scrolls safely and reliably.

I'm still trying to find a way, with moon godlike barbarian, to either get level 4 or get 5000 gold for the horn.  I don't want to kill tons of NPCs, but I can't find anything else I can reliably do.  Can't get in Raedric's fortress yet, can't do the temple without getting extremely lucky (I need to hit a phantom with two fan of flames scrolls, and I haven't managed to hit it ONCE with fan of flames yet), can't get even close to Ranga reliably, etc.

I did find that you can get two spider legs by leading a spider to the stag in black meadow.  The stag will kill both spiders so you lose out on XP if you don't get lucky with the last hit, but it seems like it might be worth it to get the scrolls safely and reliably.

Your build, please?

EDIT: For that matter, what exact difficulty are you having with the shadows?

Edited by Ninjerk

Your build, please?

My build:  http://abload.de/img/barbariankqqpw.png

I have 2443 gold about 1.5 hours in with this at level 3.  And I'm not having problems with the 1v1 shadow fights in the temple necessarily (there's one section where 2-3 shadows will pull simultaneously, and one of them sometimes randomly blocks the path in and out, but I think that can be manipulated by going up and down the stairs before running the whole floor).  I'm having problems with the end fight with the stunlock phantom specifically, since I don't have the figurine.

Your build, please?

I have 2443 gold about 1.5 hours in with this at level 3.  And I'm not having problems with the 1v1 shadow fights in the temple necessarily (there's one section where 2-3 shadows will pull simultaneously, and one of them sometimes randomly blocks the path in and out, but I think that can be manipulated by going up and down the stairs before running the whole floor).  I'm having problems with the end fight with the stunlock phantom specifically, since I don't have the figurine.

You have to try to get to the switch and use the doorway into the room where the priests' remains are.  It's likely it will involve taking a disengagement attack or two.  After that it's down to what food, alcohol, and potions/scrolls you have acquired.

You have to try to get to the switch and use the doorway into the room where the priests' remains are.  It's likely it will involve taking a disengagement attack or two.  After that it's down to what food, alcohol, and potions/scrolls you have acquired.

Right, but even if you had a way to run into that room past 6+ enemies and a stunlock phantom, there's no way to end combat.  Thus I don't see any way around killing the entire group to finish the temple.

Your build, please?

Can you stack chanter summons with figurine summons?

I was pretty bummed that I didn't get the cloak on my fire god barb, HOWEVER i managed to kill all the phantoms in the room at Caed Nua at level 4 with a fire trap and 1 firewave scroll.  I took Scion of Flame for the burn bonus (which i needed anyway).  I didn't think i'd kill them all, but I literally took them all out with the scroll after the firetrap went off.  Didn't even need the Horn.

Right, but even if you had a way to run into that room past 6+ enemies and a stunlock phantom, there's no way to end combat.  Thus I don't see any way around killing the entire group to finish the temple.

I'm saying that you have to kill the entire group.  The one near the right stairwell you can range pull to the stairwell you're shooting from, but you have to keep the stuff on the bottom out of line of sight or they'll aggro together.  Once you've killed that one, you can stealth all the way to the right (provided you've appropriately leveled to stealth to 3 or 4, I forget how high mine usually is because I got a toon to act 2) and from there stealth and then run to the switch.

no

only 1 active summon possible, like figure summon, always 1 activa.

thats a shame, that could have worked really well. 

What class would you recommend as far as the most fun? I mean im not stuck on my monk run but

1) Its a bit boring just spamming torments reach 24/7

2) I wanna try for triple crown

3) I feel like using moon godlike is unfair given how much more powerful it is than any other racial.

I am curious about barbarians but i feel like it would be as boring

Im considering cipher or druid as both have a large range of abilities, i dunno why im bored tbh it may be the game in general ive probably played too much in the last week lol.

I'm saying that you have to kill the entire group.  The one near the right stairwell you can range pull to the stairwell you're shooting from, but you have to keep the stuff on the bottom out of line of sight or they'll aggro together.  Once you've killed that one, you can stealth all the way to the right (provided you've appropriately leveled to stealth to 3 or 4, I forget how high mine usually is because I got a toon to act 2) and from there stealth and then run to the switch.

I'm confused.  Are you talking about barbarian?  Because the barbarian build only has 2 stealth (you need 5 mechanics to get in there at all).

Are you also talking about the phantom fight with the large black ooze?  Because the entire path on the right side of the pool is filled with small black oozes, a large black ooze, a phantom, some shadow(s), etc.  There's no room to stealth whatsoever.  If you go up the right stairwell, there are skuldr king(s) and so forth.  I can post a screenshot if needed.

The person I'm trying to imitate with the barbarian build mentioned they killed Nonton and the woman.  I don't want to kill NPCs, but the funny thing is at level 3 I can't even kill them.  I've died 2-3 times even attempting to kill Nonton with mace and leather armor, or mace and scale armor.  Using a potion, using frenzy, using savage defiance, none of it helps.  His endurance regen just tanks anything I do.  I must be doing something extremely wrong.

I'm confused.  Are you talking about barbarian?  Because the barbarian build only has 2 stealth (you need 5 mechanics to get in there at all).

Are you also talking about the phantom fight with the large black ooze?  Because the entire path on the right side of the pool is filled with small black oozes, a large black ooze, a phantom, some shadow(s), etc.  There's no room to stealth whatsoever.  If you go up the right stairwell, there are skuldr king(s) and so forth.  I can post a screenshot if needed.

The person I'm trying to imitate with the barbarian build mentioned they killed Nonton and the woman.  I don't want to kill NPCs, but the funny thing is at level 3 I can't even kill them.  I've died 2-3 times even attempting to kill Nonton with mace and leather armor, or mace and scale armor.  Using a potion, using frenzy, using savage defiance, none of it helps.  His endurance regen just tanks anything I do.  I must be doing something extremely wrong.

You don't need 5 mechanics, you can have 3 and 5 lockpicks or 4 if you stay in laborer's rest at the Black Hound (gives +1 Per, +1 Mechanics).  You need enough to stealth to allow you a couple steps towards that corner, and when combat starts just start spam clicking into the next room no matter how many disengagement attacks you get.  Either that or range pull something from that group and bring them all the way back to the locked door.

You don't need 5 mechanics, you can have 3 and 5 lockpicks or 4 if you stay in laborer's rest at the Black Hound (gives +1 Per, +1 Mechanics).  You need enough to stealth to allow you a couple steps towards that corner, and when combat starts just start spam clicking into the next room no matter how many disengagement attacks you get.  Either that or range pull something from that group and bring them all the way back to the locked door.

Why get into the next room though?  You'll still have to fight all the enemies, but you'll have taken a bunch of disengage crits by that point.  Are you sure we're talking about the same end-of-temple room?  I mean this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ut5iYk6WqqI#t=432

The door into that area of the temple also requires 5 mechanics to unlock, not 4.

Edited by AgentElrond

I personally find the mechanics boring as well.  IMO there are two reason to play a CRPG, Story and Fun Mechanics.  I play/played Skyrim for 1000+ hours, I have logged 300+ hours on Dark Souls 2, 200+ on Dark Souls 1, no idea on Demon Souls, and have been playing Console and CRPG's since 198X..

Some, have FUN mechanics that even if the story is pretty much non-existent, it still makes them a joy to play and you keep right on playing, even years later you go back and play them again.  Others have great stories and are worth playing through, even if the mechanics are trash.. those its OK to just "Cheat" and burn through the story IMO since the mechanics aren't why you are there.

IMO PoE has neither good mechanics or a great story.  I am actually forcing myself to try to get the triple crown solo achievement legit so i feel like I got my monies worth.  But, it is becoming more and more obvious to me that "exploits" are the only way it's going to be doable.  I have spent well over 20 hours redoing the first part of the game up to Caed Nau and nothing I have tried can reliably make it through, it ultimately comes down to sheer "luck" if I can get past that first room with the shades.

I refuse to start a PoTD Expert Ironman where "Luck" is going to be a factor, again, I want 100% no fail success due to TACTICS and PLANNING.. not, "If I get lucky I can squeeze by".