Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

Great thread!  I'd like to contribute.  I think I found a new way to kill the entire caravan, get all their loot, and live to tell the tale!

With this trick you get 348 gold, plus an inventory worth of gear, and keep the Disappointer.  Though it is a little buggy, lol.

http://i.imgur.com/ujc6psw.jpg

So I think the "standard" way so far has been to sen

*Sorry duplicate post, sent the first before i meant to and this is my first post so it has to get approved* 

Great thread!  I'd like to contribute.  I think I found a new way to kill the entire caravan, get all their loot, and live to tell the tale!

With this trick you get 348 gold, plus an inventory worth of gear, and keep the Disappointer.  Though it is a little buggy, lol.

So I think the "standard" way so far has been to send calisca to kill the merchant.  However, I found it better to send her after the caravan leader, while you stand at the lower left of the camp near the merchant but in the safe place in the trees.  Calisca will die without killing the leader and the guards, but most of the weak caravan people will come after you.  You can easily take them out with some AoE, while the caravan leader and guards will stay put at the top part of the camp.  

So here's where it gets a little buggy.  Even though you don't have the leader's aggro, the fight wont end.  You can run anywhere on the map and it wont break combat, so you still can't loot, right?  Well....actually you can now go down to the bandit camp and loot the water.  The water jug will still be there (even though you killed the guy before he was supposed to bring it across the river).  When that happens, it starts the scripted event, and you get ambushed.  When you kill those two bandits, it breaks combat!  Now you can loot them, loot the beer and pistol, loot the dead guy in the lower right of the map, kill the 3 bandits between you and the camp, loot all the caravan people you killed (i think its like 20 copper each corpse!).  However, you have to sneak to loot them if they died near the wagon, otherwise the caravan leader will see you and attack you (even though he's been maimed by the barbarians...he'll miraculously chase after you and kill you...and you can't attack him back).  After looting, you can then sneak around the bandit leader who is now in the camp (taking credit for your kills!) so that you can loot Calisca (http://i.imgur.com/uoP00Qu.jpg).  After that, there is a good place in the top right of the camp that you can get the bandits to line up single file so that you can kill them all.  Then the beowic comes, and you're off!

I hadn't seen this posted before, so let me know if it's old info.

Yeah like I said if I knew as much then as I did now about stats I would've made my monk very different. This even includes the skills/talents that I've chosen.

How would you have changed things, if you were to redo it?

I'd have more balanced stats to be honest. Slightly less Con and I'd prioritize Res over Perception. You have enough reflex from your dex stat. The deflection of the character is really low.

On a side note I just downed one of the optional bosses in the game. Took a lot of planning to work out.

Spoilers if you click the link below.

http://imgur.com/a/SJm6k

Some of the stats are lower due to the debuffs done by the boss such as "Terrify".

Edit:

Combat log linked if you guys wanna see just that. 

http://imgur.com/OGE6Fij

Boss died in under 5 seconds after melee engage.

Edited by Mipsy

Hello. I still stuck on first levels. Try different builds for solo run (Mostly fighters).

Most successful build so far - fighter before patch with summon item already bought for 600gp )))

Stats: Might 16  Cons 14 Dex 14 Per 16 Int 3 Res 15. Race - Human. And yes, my fighter is dumb. )

You can level up by quest in Gilded Vale a bit. Like Against a Grain + Late for Dinner. + You can finish blacksmith quest very easy if you lure trolls to bandits and help them all to kill each other. Temple is still pretty hard for me (

Hello again. Still PotD Solo and still kicking. Fighter Lvl 4)

Finished Caed Nua. Most hard part of it - phantoms. They really too strong. Stunlocked my poor fighter on every hit. Even with max deflection + freeze Def. Anyway tips for entrance:

you don't need kill everything. Just enough to carve path to entrance. With some fast bow (Fine war bow for me) I just shoot and run enemies. 

Hard part - is entrance. You cannot run and you must fight with 1 shadow + 4-5 phantoms. I had horn with summon and 4 scrolls of flames. + you can take Memories of Yenwood 1h sword nearby before this fight. 

Next step (repeated 10-12 times):

You lure enemies to chokepoint - and hide behind your summoned animat. Then you cast fan of flames. Then you cast them until you have them. Animat is your shield and very important not to hit him with fire (or phantoms just kill you - because you can't dodge their attack).

In the end - if some phantom still alive - you can use Memories of Yenwood (I made it fine) and kill it.

In my case one of the phantoms became non-hostile somehow and returned to his place. I killed him later. 

Next step - dungeon with spiders. I tried to sneak past them (failed). More of it. I've made very stupid mistake. I was clumsy and instead of loading previous game - saved it. In the middle of room. In time then on the spiders already detected me (but before fight). I was in bad armor for that fight and with wrong weapon and without summons. Still after some time I figured next thing. I cannot hit pause before battle - battle starts too fast. But if I hit escape not space - it worked and from bottom menu I can switch to inventory and change my weapon and armor. Now it became simplier and I just kill every hostile spider

(strange bug - even after I killed 2 rooms of spiders in on battle - it did't stop. Some spider in 3rd room became hostile too but don't attack me. After some time battle not ended and i was forced to kill third room of spiders too.)

Now Maerwald. It was easy. Just enter - speak with him and run out of the door. Summon my animat. Maerwald somehow kill 2 of his own summons. Run from maerwald before he is out of spells. After that Envenomed strike and finish! Stronghold is taken and i'm still lvl 4 )

I hope it help someone )

Godlikes won't do for the Temple of Woedica Quest, unless you've built a character that can deal with all the enemies in the room (They can't wear helmets) :p

So I'm either going to go run around and do side-quests and maybe get strong enough to deal with it (My character is only Level 4 and 1/2, it is also Path of the Damned, Expert, no Trial of Iron) or start over from the beginning with a non-Godlike *sigh*:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sjr63kmsmz0rai/2015-04-05_00010.jpg?dl=0

Some "pacifier" (As little combat as possible) stuff:

- 5 Stealth needed to get into Raedric's Hold (climbing up on the rampant, sneak past 1 guard, get into the temple floor where there are Berathite robes).
- You're still going to need to get down to the dungeons, but the enemies are fairly easy there. Only one place where they are a group (But if you play a Rogue, you should be Level 4, at least, and can Shadow Beyond that group).
- Kolsc's group Solo isn't much better than Raedric by the way... but at least if you go with Raedric no one will be hostile and you can loot everything ;) I couldn't deal with him... maybe I'll return later and try it *shrug*

I went back and forth A LOT between the first 5-6 areas. Taking out 1 enemy (for that very minor experience, but in bulk it became maybe 500-600 experience, if not more), then going to another area. Then taking out another enemy type etc. it was the only way I could do it to get to Level 4 with my character. Doing one quest objective in a specific order, then returning to town.

Caed Nua, you can cheese and pull some wisps to Kana, and Kana will help you beat them. Otherwise just hug the southern wall all the way to the edge. Then, at the Main Keep, you can sneak past the Spectre's and Shadows without even fighting them, to the left side behind a table. When the dialogue starts, tab out of the game and then tab into the game (the dialogue breaks stealth, but if you tab out, the game will auto-pause, and when the dialogue is done you can press Alt or Scout Mode and combat won't start).

You can sneak past all of the Spiders in the dungeon/prison with Stealth 5 as well. When you've dealt with Maerwald, all of the Spectre's and Shadows will be gone from the Stronghold outdoors, main keep and the immediate grounds (Door bugged for me, so I had to run through the Endless Paths Level 1 to use the hatch exit haha).

EDIT: I have no idea how that guy can have 55 hours game time (Less time than it took for me to finish the game once on Hard  :w00t:) and having played the game 2 times already, according to his other thread here, both with an Easy Party and a PotD Triple Crown run o.o (must've been crit-path only to get the achievement). Commendable. Good job

http://steamcommunity.com/id/folsomdsf/stats/291650/achievements/

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

That's a way to do it. I thought about a similar way (Killing one or two enemies, shadowing beyond to reset, then returning to town, rest, return, kill one or two enemies, etc.). It is a sturdy patience, even if it takes less time, if anything. Fighters can probably do the same thing if they have high Int for Prone duration. E.g. let's say there are 4 enemies, Fighter kills 2 of them, Knockdown on the 2 that's left, then run away, back to town, rest, back to area, kill the remaining enemies (Fast Runner to be able to run away from enemies might be worth investing in if you want to reset/retreat from combat to return another day).

I didn't even deal with Maerwald, I ran out of the room, aggroed the beetles, then went Shadowing Beyond and Maerwald and the Beetles fought, when he had killed them, he had just gone into "Injured" from "Near Death" :p

If you are playing Solo on Path of the Damned, you're going to abuse the game/system a lot. It is the only way.

Edited by Osvir

*Sorry duplicate post, sent the first before i meant to and this is my first post so it has to get approved* 

So I think the "standard" way so far has been to send calisca to kill the merchant.  However, I found it better to send her after the caravan leader, while you stand at the lower left of the camp near the merchant but in the safe place in the trees.  Calisca will die without killing the leader and the guards, but most of the weak caravan people will come after you.  You can easily take them out with some AoE, while the caravan leader and guards will stay put at the top part of the camp.  

So here's where it gets a little buggy.  Even though you don't have the leader's aggro, the fight wont end.  You can run anywhere on the map and it wont break combat, so you still can't loot, right?  Well....actually you can now go down to the bandit camp and loot the water.  The water jug will still be there (even though you killed the guy before he was supposed to bring it across the river).  When that happens, it starts the scripted event, and you get ambushed.  When you kill those two bandits, it breaks combat!  Now you can loot them, loot the beer and pistol, loot the dead guy in the lower right of the map, kill the 3 bandits between you and the camp, loot all the caravan people you killed (i think its like 20 copper each corpse!).  However, you have to sneak to loot them if they died near the wagon, otherwise the caravan leader will see you and attack you (even though he's been maimed by the barbarians...he'll miraculously chase after you and kill you...and you can't attack him back).  After looting, you can then sneak around the bandit leader who is now in the camp (taking credit for your kills!) so that you can loot Calisca (http://i.imgur.com/uoP00Qu.jpg).  After that, there is a good place in the top right of the camp that you can get the bandits to line up single file so that you can kill them all.  Then the beowic comes, and you're off!

I cant loot the water

I tried to lure the two wolves back in to camp (trying to solo prologue) and it worked alright - the wolves been killed - but it got buggy too - the caravan people could not get out of combat.

Godlikes won't do for the Temple of Woedica Quest, unless you've built a character that can deal with all the enemies in the room (They can't wear helmets) :p

Hello! If you speak about Temple in Defiance Bay - it is doable in pacifist way for Godlikes too. I play Godlike in my hard game - and already did this part peacefully. You need Woedica Hood in INVENTORY. It is important. Not on the head of your companion. In your inventory. Then if you go to the door dialog pop-up. In dialog you can choose wear the hood even if you Death Godlike (my case).

PS. I think on PotD it works same.

Edited by DeN_DarK

Why not?  You put the hood on in the cutscene.

Yeah like I said if I knew as much then as I did now about stats I would've made my monk very different. This even includes the skills/talents that I've chosen.

How would you have changed things, if you were to redo it?

I'd have more balanced stats to be honest. Slightly less Con and I'd prioritize Res over Perception. You have enough reflex from your dex stat. The deflection of the character is really low.

On a side note I just downed one of the optional bosses in the game. Took a lot of planning to work out.

Spoilers if you click the link below.

http://imgur.com/a/SJm6k

Some of the stats are lower due to the debuffs done by the boss such as "Terrify".

Edit:

Combat log linked if you guys wanna see just that. 

http://imgur.com/OGE6Fij

Boss died in under 5 seconds after melee engage.

Did you use petrify trap? It seems like the most plausible way for a monk to do this kind of damage.

Edit. Nwm, see it in the log. Thought so.

Edited by MadDemiurg

So I'm either going to go run around and do side-quests and maybe get strong enough to deal with it (My character is only Level 4 and 1/2, it is also Path of the Damned, Expert, no Trial of Iron) or start over from the beginning with a non-Godlike *sigh*:

- 5 Stealth needed to get into Raedric's Hold (climbing up on the rampant, sneak past 1 guard, get into the temple floor where there are Berathite robes).

- You're still going to need to get down to the dungeons, but the enemies are fairly easy there. Only one place where they are a group (But if you play a Rogue, you should be Level 4, at least, and can Shadow Beyond that group).

- Kolsc's group Solo isn't much better than Raedric by the way... but at least if you go with Raedric no one will be hostile and you can loot everything ;) I couldn't deal with him... maybe I'll return later and try it *shrug*

I went back and forth A LOT between the first 5-6 areas. Taking out 1 enemy (for that very minor experience, but in bulk it became maybe 500-600 experience, if not more), then going to another area. Then taking out another enemy type etc. it was the only way I could do it to get to Level 4 with my character. Doing one quest objective in a specific order, then returning to town.

Caed Nua, you can cheese and pull some wisps to Kana, and Kana will help you beat them. Otherwise just hug the southern wall all the way to the edge. Then, at the Main Keep, you can sneak past the Spectre's and Shadows without even fighting them, to the left side behind a table. When the dialogue starts, tab out of the game and then tab into the game (the dialogue breaks stealth, but if you tab out, the game will auto-pause, and when the dialogue is done you can press Alt or Scout Mode and combat won't start).

You can sneak past all of the Spiders in the dungeon/prison with Stealth 5 as well. When you've dealt with Maerwald, all of the Spectre's and Shadows will be gone from the Stronghold outdoors, main keep and the immediate grounds (Door bugged for me, so I had to run through the Endless Paths Level 1 to use the hatch exit haha).

EDIT: I have no idea how that guy can have 55 hours game time (Less time than it took for me to finish the game once on Hard  :w00t:) and having played the game 2 times already, according to his other thread here, both with an Easy Party and a PotD Triple Crown run o.o (must've been crit-path only to get the achievement). Commendable. Good job

These are good tips, and I did something similar with stealth 5 rogue...except I used the figurine (managed to farm barely 5000 gold) to get past the Caed Nua entrance hall.  I haven't found a way to hit level 4 with any character, or reliably kill Maerwald, or win any early fights (Ranga's quest, wolves, spiders, etc.) with a rogue.

These are good tips, and I did something similar with stealth 5 rogue...except I used the figurine (managed to farm barely 5000 gold) to get past the Caed Nua entrance hall.  I haven't found a way to hit level 4 with any character, or reliably kill Maerwald, or win any early fights (Ranga's quest, wolves, spiders, etc.) with a rogue.

Moonlike monks have a good mix of survivability and dps, i kill maewald quite easily, im just waiting on my aoe stun before I can take on larger groups