Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

which spells do you guys think are good on chanters other than the summons?

speed for kiting, and you want all the buffs and vary them as appropriate, 0.9 slashing and piercing is good to run for most fights. In terms of invocations the phantom and the knock back are most useful for solo play

The level 4 talents are great.  I've been grinding the beginning so many times trying to find better ways to do things that I didn't realize how good some of the choices are.  I'm taking 2 Lore and stocking points up otherwise as I can't advance this particular build's Stealth or Mechanics any more.  What do you guys think of the level 4 talent choices?  Does the +10 Fort have much effect on Phantom stunlocking?

if you didn't know, you can level up to 12 and see what talents/spells/skills your class has available at every level. it helps with planning and testing things a lot.

http://orcz.com/Pillars_of_Eternity:_Console_Commands

for phantom stunluck, i was not stunlocked by 1 phantom with 90 fort priest (70 fort + anti-stun racial). 70 fort came from: 20 base, ~20 might, ~16 con, 9 from leveling up 3 times, 5 from an item. oh and that isn't counting food. i think i would have been ok with less, but i don't know how much less. that'll give you an idea of where you can get fort and how much.

• Like 2

Any Monk players here who progressed very far at Potd yet?

Rly unsure what stats at the beginning: Guess high might for sure...but rly low con/dex for Potd ? And high per and res? Guess res. makes sense bec. of some debuffs later but i feel a bit +unsecure+ with so low con /hp.

The level 4 talents are great.  I've been grinding the beginning so many times trying to find better ways to do things that I didn't realize how good some of the choices are.  I'm taking 2 Lore and stocking points up otherwise as I can't advance this particular build's Stealth or Mechanics any more.  What do you guys think of the level 4 talent choices?  Does the +10 Fort have much effect on Phantom stunlocking?

if you didn't know, you can level up to 12 and see what talents/spells/skills your class has available at every level. it helps with planning and testing things a lot.

for phantom stunluck, i was not stunlocked by 1 phantom with 90 fort priest (70 fort + anti-stun racial). 70 fort came from: 20 base, ~20 might, ~16 con, 9 from leveling up 3 times, 5 from an item. oh and that isn't counting food. i think i would have been ok with less, but i don't know how much less. that'll give you an idea of where you can get fort and how much.

Pearlwood chicken looks easy enough to get ingredients for.  You went with Aumaua priest, then?  How do you like it?

Edited by Ninjerk
  • Like 1

XP has been rough for me, since even the one time I managed to get Maerwald dead, I didn't reach level 4.  I also promptly got killed by two fire enemies who stayed in his room.

I was hoping to find a way to get pacifist while also doing expert solo potd, since I figured the two would go well together.  Unfortunately it sounds like a lot of fights may be necessary just to get XP in certain areas.

Better than the 10 will there is a talent only for CC like stun or prone ( body control) and another for mindcontrolling spells. 

Also I love the ACC talents and cautious attack that gives 10 deflection

Any Monk players here who progressed very far at Potd yet?

Rly unsure what stats at the beginning: Guess high might for sure...but rly low con/dex for Potd ? And high per and res? Guess res. makes sense bec. of some debuffs later but i feel a bit +unsecure+ with so low con /hp.

Im act two, and a mate is ac three, you dont want low con, my exact build is:

Thats with my gear which buffs per by two. Dex is important as it helps you unload your wounds before they expire

Pearlwood chicken looks easy enough to get ingredients for.  You went with Aumaua priest, then?  How do you like it?

priest is very bad at low levels, except that withdraw to get out of combat did help a ton with the indoors caed nua phantoms, but you have bad combat stats and not-that-great per-rest dps spells, and your buffs aren't much use. priest has some nice things later with withdraw spam at level 9 and repulsing seal spam at 11, and setting up seals before fights gets good starting at level 5 (2 of the shock seals), but i wouldn't really recommend priest.

• Like 1

So cipher gains focus on retaliation attacks. This is probably one of the most broken things I've tried. Time to find a retaliation item for my solo cipher. If you make it to level 7 (I'm 6 currently) i'm sure you can solo the game this way. +7 DR spell at level 7 is immense. At level 11 you just have 3 different "I win" buttons.

did you kill maerwald? what strategy?

I did, noting too complex. If he gets caught into antipathetic field he goes down like if he's made of wet tissues. Plus you can paralyze him with mental binding if you're lucky. If you confuse him and you're even more lucky his own elements will gang up on him. So, spells, knight summon and a fair bit of luck.

The field melts everything I encountered so far and as you mention in combo with paralyze its tricky but powerful AoE. Also to note that Psychovampiric Shield (+10 deflection basically for free) keeps ticking even when target is gone/dead and even out of combat which  does not have to be obvious (was not to me) as per in-game description.

Edited by knownastherat

Better than the 10 will there is a talent only for CC like stun or prone ( body control) and another for mindcontrolling spells. 

Well, this is why I think it's probably better to try Solo+PotD without Ironman at first unless you absolute know which unavoidable fights there will be with stuns, paralysis, etc.

EDIT" Also, I don't see Mental Fortress or Body Control at level 4.  I think they're available at level 6.

Edited by Ninjerk

Well, this is why I think it's probably better to try Solo+PotD without Ironman at first unless you absolute know which unavoidable fights there will be with stuns, paralysis, etc.

EDIT" Also, I don't see Mental Fortress or Body Control at level 4.  I think they're available at level 6.

They are general talents... Would be wierd but posible maybe. When I took it i was 6 or over 6 for sure but I thought general were always available

so, cleared it....after i got level 5, my fort defence was high enough, that i didn't got perma stunned.... :) fireball trapp, bodyblock at the door at backroom, two fan of fire, all phantoms down.

now sipders are next goal, but they are more easy, my monk has speed +3 at running...and there is nothing i cannot outrun^^

:) compare to phantoms, spiders are so easy :)

I know, i just stood in a doorway and made myself a cup of tea, even the spider boss, like i ate all the food set traps etc for it then it dropped before i even hit half health lol

Act II spiders are scary tho, their dots really hurt

Just switch out amulets for the one that halves damage from poison and disease

I dont need to do that  I just use "Purge Toins" xD Just saying. Nt to do with act I spiders.

honestly i now have 3 figurines and access to whatever scrolls i want so it the game got easier by a factor of like ten

Act II spiders are scary tho, their dots really hurt

Just switch out amulets for the one that halves damage from poison and disease

I dont need to do that  I just use "Purge Toins" xD Just saying. Nt to do with act I spiders.

honestly i now have 3 figurines and access to whatever scrolls i want so it the game got easier by a factor of like ten

But you cannot farm materials... I guess you can buy some, but isnt the creation of scrolls limited by the limited amount of mobs you can kill?

Calling Shenanigans on anyone claiming stun locking phantoms aren't a problem.  They have a 61 Accuracy on their stun, meaning that you need a 61 minimum just for them to "miss" you 15% of the time.  With a 90 as has been claimed is enough to "beat" their stun, you still get stunned often enough to be locked:

61 - 90 = -29  |  100 - 29 = 71  |  71 - 15 = 56

56% of the time you will be Grazed or Hit.   Grazes, at least for me, last for 1.8 Seconds.  Which also happens to be enough time for them to hit you again, since they seem to be attack 1 time per sec.  As far as I can tell, unless you are extremely lucky, a single phantom can keep you permanently stun locked while solo.

If you really wanted to make yourself "immune" you need to hit 146 Fortitude by my math, which just isn't achievable at level 4 when you first run into them.

Also, how are you guys getting the mats to make FoF scrolls?  2x I have play up to Caed Nau, and both time I have exactly ONE spider leg.. so at most I can make ONE scroll, much less 4?  or more?

I am not going to believe anyone has beaten PoTD solo unless they do a complete, unedited, live play-through.  Doesn't even have to be expert & iron-man, reload all you want.

• Like 1

Calling Shenanigans on anyone claiming stun locking phantoms aren't a problem.  They have a 61 Accuracy on their stun, meaning that you need a 61 minimum just for them to "miss" you 15% of the time.  With a 90 as has been claimed is enough to "beat" their stun, you still get stunned often enough to be locked:

56% of the time you will be Grazed or Hit.   Grazes, at least for me, last for 1.8 Seconds.  Which also happens to be enough time for them to hit you again, since they seem to be attack 1 time per sec.  As far as I can tell, unless you are extremely lucky, a single phantom can keep you permanently stun locked while solo.

If you really wanted to make yourself "immune" you need to hit 146 Fortitude by my math, which just isn't achievable at level 4 when you first run into them.

Also, how are you guys getting the mats to make FoF scrolls?  2x I have play up to Caed Nau, and both time I have exactly ONE spider leg.. so at most I can make ONE scroll, much less 4?  or more?

I am not going to believe anyone has beaten PoTD solo unless they do a complete, unedited, live play-through.  Doesn't even have to be expert & iron-man, reload all you want.

Well, in the first place I feel pretty confident saying no one cares what you think about the veracity of their PotD solo.  With regards to your FoF scroll question, there are a number of randomized loot containers that can drop the scrolls.  I don't know how many spiders there are that you can split pull early in the game that drop the spider leg, but that's a possibility as well.

There's a second spear spider early game.  If I recall correctly it's on the south side of Black Meadow (side note, there's also a nice bow there if you stealth by the tents).

Well, in the first place I feel pretty confident saying no one cares what you think about the veracity of their PotD solo.  With regards to your FoF scroll question, there are a number of randomized loot containers that can drop the scrolls.  I don't know how many spiders there are that you can split pull early in the game that drop the spider leg, but that's a possibility as well.

While they may not care about ME personally, they should still care in general, because I can totally "Solo" PoTD using a combination of IE Mod and Cheat Engine.. and then make a video of me killing the final boss and getting the achievement.. and it would totally look legit.  But that doesn't mean that I could do it legit, which is what I'm trying to do.

Ran into the same issue with people "Soloing" dragons in DA:I, and while yes it CAN be done.. some of the first videos of people doing it were questionable.. my favorite was the guy who somehow maintained target lock on the green dragon when it flew away, when the "Legit" target lock range is too short to keep lock.. :getlost:   Of course point that out and people want to get mad and act like you are "just being a hater".

Its all well and good for folks to make claims about how they did it, but when "tested" their claims  don't work as claimed.  If someone says something can be done, I want some details on "how" they pulled it off.

• Like 1