Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

i reported the seals issue in the bug report section, people should be glad i share stuff like that in public instead of hiding it >>

It's not a multiplayer game. You have zero incentive to keep bugs like that to yourself.

Games stop being fun if all you do is cheat.

They stealth nerfed the dissapointer, now sells for basically nothing, meaning you are poorer early game. As for the priest thing that crosses te line between min maxing and cheating for me tbh but to each their own

If anyone from Obsidian is reading this, can you please confirm whether the horn figurine was indeed nerfed purely to target solo (POTD) players?  As someone may have pointed out, it barely even affects group players since they can get an optimal stat 250 gold adventurer instead.

That one change seems to almost single-handedly make solo triple crown impossible for most classes because you can't do Caed Nua without the figurine or a class that can tank 5+ spirit enemies simultaneously -- as far as I know.

I mean, it's Obsidian's game so they can do whatever they want, but the motivation for that particular change is very odd to me.

Edited by AgentElrond

They stealth nerfed the dissapointer, now sells for basically nothing, meaning you are poorer early game. As for the priest thing that crosses te line between min maxing and cheating for me tbh but to each their own

If anyone from Obsidian is reading this, can you please confirm whether the horn figurine was indeed nerfed purely solo POTD players?  As someone may have pointed out, it barely even affects group players since they can get an optimal stat 250 gold adventurer instead.

That one change seems to almost single-handedly make solo triple crown impossible for most classes because you can't do Caed Nua without the figurine or a class that can tank 5+ spirit enemies simultaneously -- as far as I know.

I mean, it's Obsidian's game so they can do whatever they want, but the motivation for that particular change is very odd to me.

Yea i was raging about that earlier, ive resorted to mugging any npc where i can get away with it with no-one seeing, killed azoth eder and the priest, im even doing the blacksmiths quest for him he better throw in a free figurine. I mean when i first found out i killed everyone in the village in case it was a hidden drop :p, would have been worth it if it had dropped.

Yea i pointed that out a couple of pages back, figurine was worth 600 gold for 99% of players as it was basically like having a summoner on your team which when you have 3-6 characters isnt that significant, at least not more so than the other gear you can buy in there so this nerf seems targete at the 1 % who wanted a bit of a challenge. well we got out ****ong challenge, desperate times call for desperate measures, I wanted to be the hero of this world and now I am the shadow in the night if you will not give me the figurine I will take it by force.

What really makes no sense to me is nerfing hte horn so hard but leavng the obviousy more OP chanter summons alone i mean hello 1 phantom every 12 seconds =50hp every 12 seconds, and its spamable for years and years.

I mean dont get me wrong we are still going to beat the game but its gonna take longer and i no longer trust this forum as a place to share strategy, whats the point sharing strategies if all they do is troll these pages looking for things to nerf. I mean fix the bugs before you nerf things that dont need nerfing

Edited by Ceranai
  • Like 1

So I was talking with Ceranai about a guy who is smashing content in the game (possibly by Fire Godlike DR bug), and I think it was him in particular that got the figurine nerfed and not solo'ers in general using it.  At best, I think most of us were using it to zone out extra enemies and sometimes to provide a flanking bonus/unstunned DPSer.  The guy I'm talking about used the animat in the stronghold to block phantoms away from him so he could cast two Fan of Flames scrolls on his barbarian without getting stunlocked.

So I was talking with Ceranai about a guy who is smashing content in the game (possibly by Fire Godlike DR bug), and I think it was him in particular that got the figurine nerfed and not solo'ers in general using it.  At best, I think most of us were using it to zone out extra enemies and sometimes to provide a flanking bonus/unstunned DPSer.  The guy I'm talking about used the animat in the stronghold to block phantoms away from him so he could cast two Fan of Flames scrolls on his barbarian without getting stunlocked.

I feel so stupid for not trying to use my scrolls before... except i just fought 2, a phantom and a shadow and it was the longest fight ive ever had... stunned the entire time got in like 3 punches total, and i actually died from HP damage not endurance because i have the frost healing cloak

I think ive figured out how to clear the stronghold, its very fiddly but its working, feels borderline exploity but i dont see any other way to do it, im a long way off affording a figurine which is pretty much the only way i can think to break the stun lock

if you go and talk to ranga and a few random mobs here and there you can hit level four without doing cael nua or the temple :)

Indeed, and it is even possible to get 6k needed for the figurine.

When I saw it for first time, and what it does, I thought it was good deal. I am sure Obsidian is aware how many "good deals" there were in BG for example so I am not sure why price adjustment was necessary. In my opinion "good deals" could be part of the game as they are not mandatory but offer options. Like soloing or other ways to play. Its single player. Cannot cheat AI. Let people play how they want rather than trying to make it .. challenge .. or chore.

I want my Staff of Magi 3 levels out of prison. Skull Trap, MM meteors, figurine .. whatever .. Invisibility on equip oktxbai. Balance at best. Who cares?

Is this still about Hard difficulty or have you all switch now to PotD?

My mentality is if im going to invest so many hours in a solo run i want the bragging rights of the hardest difficulty :p My original plan was to hit level 12 and hire 5 companions but now im going for a pure solo run, no companions after the prologue at all, in fact im making a point of killing them before i even talk to them lol

i got potd priest up to 6530 xp just now by using companions to get through prolog. i did temple at level 3, skipping almost all fighting, just went straight to end. didn't do ranga thing yet and didn't touch raedric's, and i stealthed past everything in outdoor zones basically, except to get blacksmith goods, the cook, the bears, the ruins with wolves at start where u grapple. i'm not patched so i had figurine early. paying 5k for it would be tough.

but what i wanted to say is, even with a class that is weak early on, i think you can do caed nua without figurine (not sure about the indoors part or maerwald thought, just thinking outdoors now). you can lure 1-2 guys at a time if you're careful. all you really need is war bow and some movement speed boost and some patience and carefulness. learn their tether ranges and abuse the ai.

i'm not playing iron man right now. if it was iron man, it might be very dangerous for some classes. but rogue and priest have ways to escape battle, so if you mess up your pull you'll probably be ok. i managed not to get myself killed on phantoms so far. just shoot one arrow and run with move speed boost and be conservative about turning to fight at all. i have level 3 stealth.

figurine makes it a lot nicer but if you just pull 2 guys you can use divine mark 3 times and some level 1 spells and you can win a fight. this is with 90 fortitude vs stun. 21might, 17con, coastal aunamua. with 10 DR armor and 5 freeze DR cloak.

so i cleared out the first big pack at caed nua never fighting more than 2 at once, and 2 will o wisps after. coming straight from town and using 2 campfires (and with kana already dead from a previous trip). so it's pretty slow, partly cause priest, but it's doable stuff if you control the AI well. 2 at once with full resources can be done without figurine, even on priest, i think some other heroes would have that a lot easier, like chanter for sure would do great at this. at least given you have good stun defense. i could tank one phantom for quite a while with my priest and i'd only be stunned like half the time or something with the 90 defense against stun, i'd get some hits in (with the draining flail from the temple) and have opportunities to cast a dps spell or Withdraw if necessary. with 15 DR vs freeze, u don't die too fast.

but without figurine, it'd be much slower and more annoying, though i think playing chanter would kinda make up for that, not sure about other classes, priest can't do a lot at low level though. dunno what i'm going to do about maerwald...

my accuracy is so bad. i talented move speed and sword/shield. i'm not sure what's ideal for priest. the best god is Skaen i think with the 20% sneak attack talent, but the weapons that get +10 accuracy are stilleto and club, and i want to use the draining flail. maybe i should have gotten one of the +6 accuracy talents but i wasn't even sure which one. right now i'm finding war bow is the best, using weapons with a reload messes up kiting, whereas a bow will become usable again just from running back. having the figurine flank helps me hit stuff a lot, or i just cast a full rest worth of dps spells and that usually kills 1-2 things.

if figurine was 5k i might have had to skip the blunting belt i bought, then i'd be able to buy figurine around now ish. blunting belt is really nice though. and it would have been a lot more annoying doing some of the easier parts to get level 4 without figurine for priest (for most classes except chanter, it'd be really annoying i think).

i'm super worried about maerwald fight and maybe the indoor encounters. raedric fight sounds really tough too. might be better to just fight the guards and clear most of the place the hard way without doing the final fight. for priest. or maybe kill kolsc instead? anyone know what that's like? i've never seen that fight, i only fought raedric before.

Edited by curi

i got potd priest up to 6530 xp just now by using companions to get through prolog. i did temple at level 3, skipping almost all fighting, just went straight to end. didn't do ranga thing yet and didn't touch raedric's, and i stealthed past everything in outdoor zones basically, except to get blacksmith goods, the cook, the bears, the ruins with wolves at start where u grapple. i'm not patched so i had figurine early. paying 5k for it would be tough.

but what i wanted to say is, even with a class that is weak early on, i think you can do caed nua without figurine (not sure about the indoors part or maerwald thought, just thinking outdoors now). you can lure 1-2 guys at a time if you're careful. all you really need is war bow and some movement speed boost and some patience and carefulness. learn their tether ranges and abuse the ai.

i'm not playing iron man right now. if it was iron man, it might be very dangerous for some classes. but rogue and priest have ways to escape battle, so if you mess up your pull you'll probably be ok. i managed not to get myself killed on phantoms so far. just shoot one arrow and run with move speed boost and be conservative about turning to fight at all. i have level 3 stealth.

figurine makes it a lot nicer but if you just pull 2 guys you can use divine mark 3 times and some level 1 spells and you can win a fight. this is with 90 fortitude vs stun. 21might, 17con, coastal aunamua. with 10 DR armor and 5 freeze DR cloak.

so i cleared out the first big pack at caed nua never fighting more than 2 at once, and 2 will o wisps after. coming straight from town and using 2 campfires (and with kana already dead from a previous trip). so it's pretty slow, partly cause priest, but it's doable stuff if you control the AI well. 2 at once with full resources can be done without figurine, even on priest, i think some other heroes would have that a lot easier, like chanter for sure would do great at this. at least given you have good stun defense. i could tank one phantom for quite a while with my priest and i'd only be stunned like half the time or something with the 90 defense against stun, i'd get some hits in (with the draining flail from the temple) and have opportunities to cast a dps spell or Withdraw if necessary. with 15 DR vs freeze, u don't die too fast.

but without figurine, it'd be much slower and more annoying, though i think playing chanter would kinda make up for that, not sure about other classes, priest can't do a lot at low level though. dunno what i'm going to do about maerwald...

my accuracy is so bad. i talented move speed and sword/shield. i'm not sure what's ideal for priest. the best god is Skaen i think with the 20% sneak attack talent, but the weapons that get +10 accuracy are stilleto and club, and i want to use the draining flail. maybe i should have gotten one of the +6 accuracy talents but i wasn't even sure which one. right now i'm finding war bow is the best, using weapons with a reload messes up kiting, whereas a bow will become usable again just from running back. having the figurine flank helps me hit stuff a lot, or i just cast a full rest worth of dps spells and that usually kills 1-2 things.

if figurine was 5k i might have had to skip the blunting belt i bought, then i'd be able to buy figurine around now ish. blunting belt is really nice though. and it would have been a lot more annoying doing some of the easier parts to get level 4 without figurine for priest (for most classes except chanter, it'd be really annoying i think).

i'm super worried about maerwald fight and maybe the indoor encounters. raedric fight sounds really tough too. might be better to just fight the guards and clear most of the place the hard way without doing the final fight. for priest. or maybe kill kolsc instead? anyone know what that's like? i've never seen that fight, i only fought raedric before.

What i find funny is how by removing figurine from play they have basically encouraged us to abuse the ai, im doing the exact same thing with the tethering, its just a bit sad to have to resort to it.

Im all for a challenge but there is simply no way to escape the stunlock, its crazy that they get a free stun on every auto attack, it makes them 100 times more difficults that other monsters of the same level.

and same again if raedric proves too hard im just gonna kill his cousin instead even though id much ratehr side with the less insane lord

Edited by Ceranai

i like abusing tethering. that was the best strategy in a lot of Warcraft 3 rpgs i've played. fun times IMO. lol. it's pretty funny if you do it right against a solo enemy where they basically don't attack you. but my accuracy is so bad i miss a ton.

i wonder if maerwald is possible to do like that. if you can get separated from him, then could you go shoot him once and run away again, and repeat? otherwise i don't know how i'll ever pass him with priest.

who has got past potd solo maerwald with anything but chanter btw? can someone like druid just dps him down fast before you die? can like a barb or monk just fight him kinda normally?

oh i saw something about luring maerwald into the other enemies on the level, hmmmm

Edited by curi

i like abusing tethering. that was the best strategy in a lot of Warcraft 3 rpgs i've played. fun times IMO. lol. it's pretty funny if you do it right against a solo enemy where they basically don't attack you. but my accuracy is so bad i miss a ton.

i wonder if maerwald is possible to do like that. if you can get separated from him, then could you go shoot him once and run away again, and repeat? otherwise i don't know how i'll ever pass him with priest.

who has got past potd solo maerwald with anything but chanter btw? can someone like druid just dps him down fast before you die? can like a barb or monk just fight him kinda normally?

the main room my god

Im thinking i need to go get some fire scrolls lol, therer is no way i can survive 5 phantoms and i dont see a way to split pull them

AHHHHH

oh i saw something about luring maerwald into the other enemies on the level, hmmmm

I'm far past maerwald PoTD solo on a monk. I'm level 11 atm and in act 3. 

• Like 1

For Solo Priest, you start is a mix out of caster (with no aoe dmg) and tank start.

After prolog (in prolog, your warrior you get can outtank even in PotD everythink the games trows at you) you should be level 2 -> talent should be shild and weapon talent

You go directly first town, ignore everythink in first outddor map.

First town, collect all Quest, and solve the mill quest. Rest now, you should be exaustet from you prolog.

Do mainquest at tree, you should now hit level 3...

After level 3 questorder you want to do...

1.) blacksmith (to get the shild)...you need to kill 1 mob to stealth pick the quest item)

2.) cook quest

3.) Temple (with many, many rests...) --> getting life leech weapon, helm is without bugging out moving Ai out of reach

4.) Range trink quest for the sister

5.) bear cave

--> you should now hit level 4

----------------

It didn't played priest higher, yo can choose now between raedrics hold with heavy boss fight, or old watcher with heavy boss fight. what oyu choose depens on your stat points.

For Solo Priest, you start is a mix out of caster (with no aoe dmg) and tank start.

After prolog (in prolog, your warrior you get can outtank even in PotD everythink the games trows at you) you should be level 2 -> talent should be shild and weapon talent

You go directly first town, ignore everythink in first outddor map.

First town, collect all Quest, and solve the mill quest. Rest now, you should be exaustet from you prolog.

Do mainquest at tree, you should now hit level 3...

After level 3 questorder you want to do...

1.) blacksmith (to get the shild)...you need to kill 1 mob to stealth pick the quest item)

2.) cook quest

3.) Temple (with many, many rests...) --> getting life leech weapon, helm is without bugging out moving Ai out of reach

4.) Range trink quest for the sister

5.) bear cave

--> you should now hit level 4

----------------

It didn't played priest higher, yo can choose now between raedrics hold with heavy boss fight, or old watcher with heavy boss fight. what oyu choose depens on your stat points.

I think life leech isnt that important, the fights i die in ar usually from being hit hard, i dont really think i could out heal how hard im being hit with lifesteal

the main room my god

Im thinking i need to go get some fire scrolls lol, therer is no way i can survive 5 phantoms and i dont see a way to split pull them

AHHHHH

just got inside with priest. left of the door is a choke point where only 2 fight you. maybe that will help you.