Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

something i noticed that could maybe be abused: ranger companions never seem to take health damage (only tested at low level with bear). it takes endurance damage but its health never ever goes down. so with a source of healing, maybe you can abuse that somehow. (not sure how solo, but with a party you could use chanter heal aura and it would be a convenient way to have 100% unlimited FOREVER tanking of a single enemy to stay in combat, for example).

when someone in your party gets knocked out, like a second party member or your ranger companion, it seems that they will only stand back up if 1) you are out of combat   AND   2) no enemies are near.

so i guess one way you can abuse solo is: play ranger. lure enemies away from where they start. have your bear fight while you run away. bear dies. enemies walk home. enemies took a little damage. bear now revives at full health.

so wouldn't this let ranger abuse the game even better than chanter summons, because the ranger can "summon" his companion while out of combat? with the downside you have to lure enemies back, not fight them where they spawn.

by the way, something to be careful with: even if you fight away from enemy spawn points, if they make a summon (e.g. pyrga guys summoning lesser blights), i believe the summon will last forever (or at least a long time, i don't know) and will stay where it was summoned as its spawn point. so it would be possible to get your dead bear next to a summoned enemy so it can't revive, and you'd have to kill the summon with your ranger.

you have to be careful. if anyone is knocked out, including ranger companion, you cannot leave the area, even if you are out of combat. do people think ranger companion thing might be a good way to do solo? slow, yes, but seems like it would work well.

painfully slow i think, and any enemies with hp regen will out heal its dps

And than there are stealthnerfs in this patch...look to horn summon price in first town...from 600/500 up to 6000/5000...and it only hurts solo playstyl, because for 250 i get perma summon with optimal stats in Inn next door

250? What inn and what permasummon?

honestly, for the same reason, they probably shouldn't give any bonus xp at all for soloing. bonus xp gives solo an upside

Have you even tried the game on solo PotD?

he's talking about hiring a chanter and using phantoms. i think you should worry about yourself instead of accusing me of being a nub. i think the people who have gotten the furthest so far would agree i'm able to make some worthwhile comments like figuring out priest stuff. i have experience soloing other games such as BG. just because i'm still testing stuff in multi-party currently, does not mean that i'm too clueless and can't add to the discussion.

• Like 1

do some enemies actually have health regen, or is it only endurance regen? my impression from a couple really long fights is the stuff like fighters that regen endurance will stop eventually, because (i assume) they run out of health.

he's talking about hiring a chanter and using phantoms. i think you should worry about yourself instead of accusing me of being a nub. i think the people who have gotten the furthest so far would agree i'm able to make some worthwhile comments like figuring out priest stuff. i have experience soloing other games such as BG. just because i'm still testing stuff in multi-party currently, does not mean that i'm too clueless and can't add to the discussion.

There's nothing wrong with partaking in a discussion, but when you're throwing words around like "they shouldn't do .. X" and "balance" you're doing a bit more than that. You're taking a side, and without actual experience on what it's like for people who play PotD solo, you're making balance suggestions to the community and the devs. Changes you would most probably not suggest if you had actually tried the gamemode you're talking about.

There's nothing wrong with partaking in a discussion, but when you're throwing words around like "they shouldn't do .. X" and "balance" you're doing a bit more than that. You're taking a side, and without actual experience on what it's like for people who play PotD solo, you're making balance suggestions to the community and the devs. Changes you would most probably not suggest if you had actually tried the gamemode you're talking about.

so i have to solo a priest on potd to level 11 before i can say whether or not they should make any changes to seals?

EDIT: look, if i actually get something wrong, you or someone else can point it out.

Edited by curi

The 250 means level 1 companions in Inn...you can make perfect party there for non solo gameing, so horn was useless for group player. 

Horn summon was a tactical option early game...but got really fast useless (the bear in cave was already to much for it).

The nerf on "the dissapointer" for selling price 750 down to 180 was on other side a nerf against group player in PotD. With this money you could create a perfect party at level 1...if you knew, were to get free items to loot. a perfect 6 man group for  steamrolling PotD.

... so monks can take weapon focus peasant, put a spear in their offhand, and get the one-handed accuracy bonus on both their first and the item.

Time to start a monk solo.

yea i saw that, trying to avoid it coz its obviously not working as intended but i might give it a quick try, works for hatchet as well, its not perfect as you dont keep the +2 damage but the accuracy difference is crazy. plus with hatchet that 5 deflection, thats like having a shield you can attack with

I take it all back its crap do not try this, you dont attack with your fist and the hatchet you only attack witht he hatchet lol

Edited by Ceranai

do some enemies actually have health regen, or is it only endurance regen? my impression from a couple really long fights is the stuff like fighters that regen endurance will stop eventually, because (i assume) they run out of health.

Trolls have but thats like pretty obvious, trolls have regeneration. Its like something they naturally have :D

the first 2 hunters in the tutorial do not retreat if you use withdraw. i think some enemies in the game (the ones spawned by triggers from cutscenes i guess) don't have spawn points they retreat to. interesting. but combat still DOES end early, so you don't get to heal up from withdraw very much. it's like wherever they are standing right now counts as their spawn point.

Edited by curi

The 250 means level 1 companions in Inn...you can make perfect party there for non solo gameing, so horn was useless for group player. 

Horn summon was a tactical option early game...but got really fast useless (the bear in cave was already to much for it).

The nerf on "the dissapointer" for selling price 750 down to 180 was on other side a nerf against group player in PotD. With this money you could create a perfect party at level 1...if you knew, were to get free items to loot. a perfect 6 man group for  steamrolling PotD.

it hasnt stopped the perfect party at all, i still have 1000 gold every time i arrive :p if i wasnt soloing I would do just that.

I feel like we need to make a mod that will let us all play together with our min maxed op game breaking soloers :p

• Like 1

To the monk bug, testet it.

It is more than a screening bug. 

1.) It is true, in combat it changes one handed styl from right to left hand, and your fist do not attack or do damage.

But

2.) you main damage source, Torment Reach gets 2 attacks, for the fist and the off hand. if you carry for example bash shild, you do not get a attack role for torment reach.

Torment reach works this way.

1h: -> 1 attack.

2h: -> 1 attack

dual: -> 2 attack

1h+shild: -> 1 attack

fist+off hand: -> 2 attack, but autoattack only with off hand

It seems they added new items... Got an amulet of endurance in a cage in temple of eothas' first floor:

+15 Max ENdurance... m lvl 4 and Im at 107 endurance lols ( ye no bugs double checked :D)

Remember where it dropped?  I went minimum effort in Temple so far, but knowing that is in there is tempting.

There is no increased solo XP in PotD.

Testet this afternoon XP gain after prolog, when you enter dungeon solo.

Got on my test char 417Xp--> which was added as 625 group XP. means +50%.

After patch, i done the same, solo entering the first dungon, got 417XP --> which added 625 group XP ---> 50%

Unlucky, it doesn't feel that you get more XP in PotD with this patch.

So did they remove the +5% or whatever it was that we got before or they just didn't give the +10% from the patch and left it at 5%?

i hate trying to decide what's "fair" exploits and unfair exploits. why is splitting mobs up with running/ai-abuse/etc non-cheating, but withdraw spam would be cheating? i think it's too impossible to draw a line, so unless something is really really disgusting (like infinite stacking permanent stat boosts), i have a hard time saying anything against it. the whole point is to find the best strategies possible, not hold yourself back some sorta unclear amount.

Anyone who completes this insane, tedious, did I mention insane, (but fun) challenge will have cheesed it up. Exploit is an exploit, no sense calling some "fair". The game was designed around a party.

Good luck to all my fellow cheesers out there.

Yeah we're probably going to have to go underground with this if we ever actually want to do it or they'll figure out how to nerf everything out of Act 2.

i do never wrote anythink...that one think or other of cheese is bad.

PotD force you to cheese in most classes...and in RP accpect...going a dungeon, fight 7 monsters in one group there, go back to next bar for a 8h sleep...so that you can kill the next 7 monsters in one group...sounds like cheese, too.

Summon cheese bottle neck are the low damage numbers...it is save...but it needs hours and concentrate gameplay during this time.

Cipher charmed is similar...you have always to charm mobs...and than fight...100% concentration needed.

perma repulse...cheese, sure...but it is obsidian fault that priest got a out of combat combat cast with unlimit use as trap...i think every wizard in forum wished, they could cast more out of combat spells.

And than there are stealthnerfs in this patch...look to horn summon price in first town...from 600/500 up to 6000/5000...and it only hurts solo playstyl, because for 250 i get perma summon with optimal stats in Inn next door

The horn nerf is just... wow. 

it hasnt stopped the perfect party at all, i still have 1000 gold every time i arrive :p if i wasnt soloing I would do just that.

I feel like we need to make a mod that will let us all play together with our min maxed op game breaking soloers :p

They'd find a way to nerf it when they found out we're having fun  :p

It seems they added new items... Got an amulet of endurance in a cage in temple of eothas' first floor:

+15 Max ENdurance... m lvl 4 and Im at 107 endurance lols ( ye no bugs double checked :D)

Remember where it dropped?  I went minimum effort in Temple so far, but knowing that is in there is tempting.

There is no increased solo XP in PotD.

Testet this afternoon XP gain after prolog, when you enter dungeon solo.

Got on my test char 417Xp--> which was added as 625 group XP. means +50%.

After patch, i done the same, solo entering the first dungon, got 417XP --> which added 625 group XP ---> 50%

Unlucky, it doesn't feel that you get more XP in PotD with this patch.

So did they remove the +5% or whatever it was that we got before or they just didn't give the +10% from the patch and left it at 5%?

i hate trying to decide what's "fair" exploits and unfair exploits. why is splitting mobs up with running/ai-abuse/etc non-cheating, but withdraw spam would be cheating? i think it's too impossible to draw a line, so unless something is really really disgusting (like infinite stacking permanent stat boosts), i have a hard time saying anything against it. the whole point is to find the best strategies possible, not hold yourself back some sorta unclear amount.

Anyone who completes this insane, tedious, did I mention insane, (but fun) challenge will have cheesed it up. Exploit is an exploit, no sense calling some "fair". The game was designed around a party.

Good luck to all my fellow cheesers out there.

Yeah we're probably going to have to go underground with this if we ever actually want to do it or they'll figure out how to nerf everything out of Act 2.

i do never wrote anythink...that one think or other of cheese is bad.

PotD force you to cheese in most classes...and in RP accpect...going a dungeon, fight 7 monsters in one group there, go back to next bar for a 8h sleep...so that you can kill the next 7 monsters in one group...sounds like cheese, too.

Summon cheese bottle neck are the low damage numbers...it is save...but it needs hours and concentrate gameplay during this time.

Cipher charmed is similar...you have always to charm mobs...and than fight...100% concentration needed.

perma repulse...cheese, sure...but it is obsidian fault that priest got a out of combat combat cast with unlimit use as trap...i think every wizard in forum wished, they could cast more out of combat spells.

The horn nerf is just... wow. 

They'd find a way to nerf it when they found out we're having fun  :p

thats why i took to steam chat :p got some pro tips from someone on here, not so uch exploits but moreabout how to best play, guys level 11 and isnt even using exploits XD

• Like 1

Temple first Floor in a box just before that room full of Skuldrs with a Skuldr KIng ( on Hard ). SW red square here http://guides.gamepressure.com/pillarsofeternity/guide.asp?ID=29859

it is the red trap chest....before the box had random loot, you could get the defelection ring, +5 defensive ring, a +2stat amu inside of this box.

looks like they made loot item fix in this box

Edited by Aqvamare

inspiring radiance (priest +accuracy on his per-encounter aoe heal) stacks with itself. and you can spam it when out of combat. i wonder what other per-encounter stuff might be stackable in a useful way. the priest +stats and move speed talent from his aoe heal doesn't stack with itself. maybe another class has something nice?

it is the red trap chest....before the box had random loot, you could get the defelection ring, +5 defensive ring, a +2stat amu inside of this box.

looks like they made loot item fix in this box

Thank god.  I got POS deflection ring from that last time I tried it.  Only cared about the xp.

inspiring radiance (priest +accuracy on his per-encounter aoe heal) stacks with itself. and you can spam it when out of combat. i wonder what other per-encounter stuff might be stackable in a useful way. the priest +stats and move speed talent from his aoe heal doesn't stack with itself. maybe another class has something nice?

LOL bro, pretty sure I just read somewhere else that they made that combat only in the new patch so you can't prebuff with it!

so, if you kill everyone in the caravan, you skip the tutorial zone. you don't have to fight any galathan. that's interesting. most of them are really weak (like 3hp and just die to fire godlike's burn ability) but some aren't.

i wanted to loot them but that's hard. when combat ends and odema is dead, you go straight to the dungeon. but with chanter i managed to get out of combat after a phantom died. not sure why. just running away with priest hadn't gotten me out of combat. maybe i had to run further? not sure. i managed to loot a bunch of random guys but just got coins.

i wanted to see which way is better to do the tutorial. i got 636 xp at start of dungeon using chanter and killing the camp. then i did it the regular way and ended up with 651 xp. so i think the only difference is the wolf beastiary xp.

so with the caravan, when testing with priest, it seemed that if you start fighting them, you're stuck in combat, and then the moment it ends you're teleported to the dungeon.

with chanter, you can very easily shoot one guy and run away and make a phantom cuz no one follows but you're in combat. so it's a really easy fight. but it was weird, with chanter i managed to get out of combat after a phantom death. not sure why he got out and priest didn't. maybe it's about how far away you run? or even difficulty mode, thought i doubt it? i was testing chanter on easy to test the xp for the different routes faster.

another thing i found with the tutorial is getting the pistol seems to be RNG or else require 1 mechanics. i stood next to it in stealth mode for a while and couldn't find it with a 0 mechanics priest. i tried turning stealth on and off, and leaving and coming back, didn't help.

another weird thing: when heodan is prisoner, i tried to shoot him before triggering the glanfathan. it says "This character is currently busy." and won't let you shoot him with a crossbow.

if you start the fight by shooting a bandit with a crossbow before the dialog comes up, it instantly kills heodan. i guess that's the best way to do it for solo, instead of talking to them.

for the fight with the glanfathan leader, you can use withdraw and they will walk away and leave you alone. you stay in combat permanently though.

another thing: fast runner talent only grants move speed while in combat.

so has anyone gotten a solo priest through the tutorial on potd expert? :D before the dungeon, with killing calisca at the start.

withdraw doesn't work well to skip fights at the start and you can't rest yet or get movement speed talent yet. the main issue is your health pool getting worn down over multiple fights. the withdraw stuff is weird. on the fight with 3 hunters, if i run a bit and withdraw, the ranged one will leave, but the 2 melee won't, they actually keep running up next to you, and then it just ends combat before the withdraw duration is up, and then cancels withdraw, so i don't heal much. with the 2 hunter fight, i couldn't get away either.

are any tutorial fights skippable? i tried getting 1 stealth from my background but still couldn't get past the wolves or glanfathan. anyone have ideas to get a priest through the start?

PS Ceranai someone said that item drops depend on your character name. so it might vary for other people :/  it might actually be best if we all played with the same name lol. i'm using "c" for now, but there might be a different name which is superior. (even if we don't use the same name, use just one name yourself for consistency, unless you find name doesn't actually affect it, but the guy who said it did was showing some code, seemed to know what he was talking about)

LOL bro, pretty sure I just read somewhere else that they made that combat only in the new patch so you can't prebuff with it!

oh, doh, i can't patch yet cuz i'm on GOG not steam. somethign similar still might be possible with another class though.