Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

I'm convinced barbarian just doesn't have enough defensive staying power to handle this game solo. I could absolutely be wrong, though. I haven't tested it enough.

My issue with playing a druid solo is that I have no idea how you're going to charge your spells to do anything.

There's a guy that commented in a Reddit thread a few days ago that claimed he had gotten to level 9 in Act 2(?) before dying because he took on soemthing he shouldn't (PotD+Ironman).  Search for the thread, he laid, I believe, a complete build out.

With regards to Fighter soloing, if you're on PotD, you need to get past the phantoms etc. in Stronghold then we can talk about Edge of Reason, no?

Was this with a barbarian or a druid?

Edge of Reason is in the stronghold? I have no idea where it is. <.<;

Barb.  I was about to take a test in like 2 minutes or I would have linked  :getlost:

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30smai/solo_path_of_the_damned_expert_mode_trial_of_iron/

He's posted since the last time I read it.

I said we can talk about EoR because I hadn't seen it in my Fighter playthrough and I had gotten at least into the yard of Caed Nua.  I think that playthrough might be over thanks to stunlocking phantoms, though.  Raerdic mobs hit like a truck, too.

&nbsp;

@Lasci

&nbsp;

I'm looking at Paladins now. &nbsp;I'm understanding a little bit more about the game every time I start a new character up, and MY GOD the defenses Paladins can have.

&nbsp;

Paladins can't do damage though. They die when you have a group attacking you.

Example: Fight the 3 bandits holding the dwarf hostage at the beginning of the game.

Edited by Alpha_Omega

I did that and it's great but the current bugs killed my caster so I had to stop testing (parasitic staff bug)

Parasitic Staff with Mirage and Defense is very, very nice.

Run melee with leech spells and it's op.... well, until your spells stop.

Edited by Alpha_Omega

&nbsp;

@Lasci

&nbsp;

I'm looking at Paladins now. &nbsp;I'm understanding a little bit more about the game every time I start a new character up, and MY GOD the defenses Paladins can have.

&nbsp;

Paladins can't do damage though. They die when you have a group attacking you.

Example: Fight the 3 bandits holding the dwarf hostage at the beginning of the game.

About to give that group a go!

Yeah Paladin accuracy is gutter-tier.  I can barely hit those guys.

They have as much as a barbarian or chanter. <.<;

Chanters can target several defenses at first level!  IDK what to say about barbs.  25ish accuracy still isn't good.

I don't feel like fighter or paladin can make it far enough. Paladin has abysmal damage when built like a tank (and when not built like one he's just a weaker version of other classes). At least he has high saves. Fighter can have high deflection, but his saves are bad, and his damage is low too and cc is very limited, so he'll get screwed by casters.

Imo the most feasible classes are druid/wizard/cipher/monk/barb. I've gotten to level 6 with a tanky cipher abusing confusion atm, but I'm gonna take a break since it's too tedious. Pretty smooth sailing so far though.

done old watcher as level 4 chanter in pothd...find out that watcher is like other bigger fights perma fight on this map.

so you can cheese with your summon and clear all mobs on first level map without risk, but you need time, time, time...for this.

hadn't the time for trying to cheese spiderboss this way...for getting life leech stilleto.

to stay in perma fight, you pull, have +speed aura, your summon kills watcher adds, and when adds are down, use your summon to distract watcher...than run other room that he cannot see you, resummon. watcher is other room, do not see you, you stay perma fight, and can now start to clear rest of level 1 map.

Edited by Aqvamare

I don't feel like fighter or paladin can make it far enough. Paladin has abysmal damage when built like a tank (and when not built like one he's just a weaker version of other classes). At least he has high saves. Fighter can have high deflection, but his saves are bad, and his damage is low too and cc is very limited, so he'll get screwed by casters.

Imo the most feasible classes are druid/wizard/cipher/monk/barb. I've gotten to level 6 with a tanky cipher abusing confusion atm, but I'm gonna take a break since it's too tedious. Pretty smooth sailing so far though.

Dont forget the monk, they are almost designed for solo play. 

done old watcher as level 4 chanter in pothd...find out that watcher is like other bigger fights perma fight on this map.

so you can cheese with your summon and clear all mobs on first level map without risk, but you need time, time, time...for this.

hadn't the time for trying to cheese spiderboss this way...for getting life leech stilleto.

Did you test if the life leach worked with flagellants path? you said you were gonna do some more testing id be interested to know what you found. I for one am still working towards the perfect monk set up, ive now found that if you put constitution at 8 and max per and res you get hit for like 0.5 per hit for most fights.

Also you interupt people often enough that you avoid damage that way too. In fact the rate i lose health with this build is a fraction of my previous con heavy builds

Edited by Ceranai
  • Like 1

sry, problem is, never played monk to this level...

but life leech should work, it is 20% from damage, and not 20% from weapon damage. 

one more think i found out, 

-20% speed, +10deflection attack

-20%speed, +5DR bypassing attack

can be active both at the same time.

Edited by Aqvamare

sry, problem is, never played monk to this level...

but life leech should work, it is 20% from damage, and not 20% from weapon damage. 

hmmm cool Ive sunk a talent into bull's will, all my defences are so high almost every attack/spell only grazes me

yeah, was running at beginning tank with +20 deflection from the start, was running fine, until i got first time stuned from a phantom...which gave me -40 deflection debuff...

after this i stayed stunned....and phantom killed me.

at the moment i'm not sure, if monk can be a devasting range DPS class in PotD.

They get +2 speed buff for free, means they should outcircle in running most enemies on maps...

if speed with speed stack, +3 speed.

and +defence for running away...

if they use range weapon, they can simply kite and shoot everythink until they go down, 

talents would be, level 1 + attack speed, level 3 speed buff...

level 2 faster reload

level4...etc

you see were it goes.

--------------------------

forgot, later with weaken on hit passiv, -2 speed debuff in enemies.

only problem, i miss a way to aoe this way.

Edited by Aqvamare

at the moment i'm not sure, if monk can be a devasting range DPS class in PotD.

They get +2 speed buff for free, means they should outcircle in running most enemies on maps...

if speed with speed stack, +3 speed.

and +defence for running away...

if they use range weapon, they can simply kite and shoot everythink until they go down, 

talents would be, level 1 + attack speed, level 3 speed buff...

level 2 faster reload

level4...etc

you see were it goes.

--------------------------

forgot, later with weaken on hit passiv, -2 speed debuff in enemies.

that sounds like a good idea, i mean you dont even really have to spec for it other than the 2 speed, with a fast reload bow it should be easily possible. still much slower than melee monk, but a decent tactic I might try

there is 1 warbow with life leech ingame, which you can buy in copperfield, after watcher killing...and watcher should be easy, enough space to outcircle him in running.

If the ranged tactic is focused on avoiding damage entirely then life leech is less important, i mean if he never hits me :p