Soloing PoE : Sucess so far ( Hard Dificulty Expert Mode )

switched to 12/18...think in long run, higher healthpool is in solo stronger, baby sneak attach is 1.2 more damage, 20% boost on autoattack...will see if it works to out of combat spells, too. priest has some good one.

at priest I will sell preorder item... in starting area....together with pistol, you will start with 3000 money...

the rouge in startig area as trader pays buying price for items

Edited by Aqvamare
  • Like 1

switched to 12/18...think in long run, higher healthpool is in solo stronger, baby sneak attach is 1.2 more damage, 20% boost on autoattack...will see if it works to out of combat spells, too. priest has some good one.

at priest I will sell preorder item... in starting area....together with pistol, you will start with 3000 money...

the rouge in startig area as trader pays buying price for items

Yep, that's how I got blunting belt as well as Fine Mail Armor for taking on the bears, and hopefully eventually parts of Raerdic's keep.

ok, start know a run as priest, stats are:

20/10/3/8/19/18

as Avatar :)

the - bonus on reflex, i can get it back over shild use....might, more dam plus selfheal....int, longer duration of buffs....last stat for conentration, because my spells will need weeks to be cast^^

Avatar class for higher stun defence.

skaen is stilleto plus mace...

no, it do not work on spells, but it works on autoattack, and in the moment enemy is blinded...etc....and priest can debuff the enemies.

do not forget, in my testrun, my priest got highest base accurcy of all classes ingame...

Don't you think that giving up on Dex will slow you down a lot, specially with a heavier armor for some DR?

Edited by Sidushi

ok, something surprising, there is a hotkey feature ingame....which would be helpful for monk player....but i do not know how to bind keys.

i lucky got a hotkey on my priest spell...but no idea,,,how

Do you mean hotkey for spells/abilities?

You hover over ability and click key you want it to be hotkey'd to.

Started a Moon Monk for my 2. playthrough. Hard, Expert and obviously Solo. I'm doin quests in the big city now. I feel that the game definitely became more managable after the stronghold but I'm sure I will hit some bumps pretty soon.

• Like 1

I feel like fighter, monk, and paladin are probably the best soloers. I suppose a rogue might be able to pull it off with some shenanigans, but I'm not convinced that one would be able to effectively get through the amount and power of hard mode mobs without something to help set up sneak attacks on a frequent basis. A monk can pretty seamlessly transition from tanking to doing damage based on the armor its wearing. And because you don't have to worry about companions, it should be pretty easy to have several armor sets for different needs throughout the game. Fighter and paladin both seem just as good at balancing offense and defense.

What's the biggest obstacle for soloing? I assume it's being stunned by enemies rather than being killed outright while functioning fully, right?

It might be good if started collecting a running list of good equipment to pick up early and where it's at.

I know Oidhreacht -- the stiletto with draining -- is obtainable on the first level of Oda Nua. Does anybody know where the Spiderfingers gloves are obtained? My Eder is wearing them -- they give 3/rest of heal light endurance. I want to say they're in the ogre's cave, but I could absolutely be wrong.

What about the helm, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil? It's +1 to resolve and perception, so +2 deflection essentially. Where's the soonest you can get a +5 deflection and +5 saves ring? The soonest you can get an item with Mechanics on it? What's the fastest you can get a fine weapon, and what is it?

Rushing to Defiance Bay with a thousand gold can get you Serel's ring, which is +2 resolve. Backers (Preorders?) get Gaun's Pledge, which has to be useful for healing. 

Edited by Lasci

I didnt like the rogue when I tried it... Rogues are supossed to be buildt as glass cannon. Or thats tehe feel I had at least.

I gotta try Monk and Pala, but I feel pala's best thing are the auras, so its kinda a waste.

Edited by LastSoloer

I didnt like the rogue when I tried it... Rogues are supossed to be buildt as glass cannon. Or thats tehe feel I had at least.

I gotta try Monk and Pala, but I feel pala's best thing are the auras, so its kinda a waste.

I keep staring at Faith and Conviction and feeling like it's significant enough to be worth it. That, along with Liberating Exhortation for debuffs and Lay on Hands for healing... 

I don't know, maybe it's enough?

so, played a little with priest, early game in PotD is really hard.

compare to chanter runs, who breeze through the first four level.

-------------

yes, http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Status_Effects look here...everythink what gives you -deflection is bad, because when it proccs on you, enemies simply crit you into the ground.

under these effects, effects which stun are even worse.

the gloves with heal dropped for me mostly in the dungeon from raedrics hold in one of the prision cells, but it can be random, too.

------

the helm is fix drop in statue in temple in first town.

Edited by Aqvamare

I feel like fighter, monk, and paladin are probably the best soloers. I suppose a rogue might be able to pull it off with some shenanigans, but I'm not convinced that one would be able to effectively get through the amount and power of hard mode mobs without something to help set up sneak attacks on a frequent basis. A monk can pretty seamlessly transition from tanking to doing damage based on the armor its wearing. And because you don't have to worry about companions, it should be pretty easy to have several armor sets for different needs throughout the game. Fighter and paladin both seem just as good at balancing offense and defense.

What's the biggest obstacle for soloing? I assume it's being stunned by enemies rather than being killed outright while functioning fully, right?

It might be good if started collecting a running list of good equipment to pick up early and where it's at.

I know Oidhreacht -- the stiletto with draining -- is obtainable on the first level of Oda Nua. Does anybody know where the Spiderfingers gloves are obtained? My Eder is wearing them -- they give 3/rest of heal light endurance. I want to say they're in the ogre's cave, but I could absolutely be wrong.

What about the helm, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil? It's +1 to resolve and perception, so +2 deflection essentially. Where's the soonest you can get a +5 deflection and +5 saves ring? The soonest you can get an item with Mechanics on it? What's the fastest you can get a fine weapon, and what is it?

Rushing to Defiance Bay with a thousand gold can get you Serel's ring, which is +2 resolve. Backers (Preorders?) get Gaun's Pledge, which has to be useful for healing. 

My problem with trying to solo with a Fighter is that they just don't have any systemic way to either deal lots of damage to one enemy or do AoE damage.  You can last forever with high-Con and endurance recovery AND they have some accuracy buffs, though.

Isn't that the idea with a solo game, though? Outlive and outlast the enemy? Because of the way spellcasting works (spell buffs aren't allowed before combat, casting takes a long time for stronger spells, you can be easily interrupted, base duration is usually only ~20 seconds), I'm convinced that a priest or cipher is going to struggle pretty substantially. 

Fighter, Paladin, and Chanter are all classes that can strive while fighting defensively. Eder might be suboptimal, but the couple times I've come close to actually wiping in a battle, he has always pulled out and saved the day with outright tankiness combined with Oidhreacht. You could also use Gaun's Share from the temple of Eothas. Imagine if you could replace that low damage stiletto with, say, the Edge of Reason battleaxe. Or the sabre Purgatory. I can see a Chanter summoning enough to keep himself from being overwhelmed. And the Paladin has a heal, a potential accuracy buff before combat starts, and a lot of bonuses to defenses.

It might be worth taking one of the defense/utility talents that increase defenses against stuns and whatever other statuses are problematic.

That is the problem of fighter and paladin, they lack damage.

Monk on the other hand lacks totally heal...and if you want to take lifeleech weapon, you decrease you damage.

barbarian has damage and life....but his defence...

ciper is overall really nice, and would be OP when his heal would work on him.

Chanter is strong early, but has nothing mid game, but makes a comeback in lategame.

Druid, Priest, Wizard lack starting defence, if the go defence, they lacks accurcy and they get heavy spell misses....and lack damage.

my biggest problem is, at the moment i take shild defence talent, because it gives +6 deflection and all shild defence into reflex defence.

so you can decrease reflex stats for other stats, but i'm not sure, if this is the right way for all classes.

as monk for example, it could be possible, that dualwils stilleto life lech becomes stronger, thanks to his level 1 aoe damage strike.

Edited by Aqvamare

Chanter is strong early, but has nothing mid game, but makes a comeback in lategame.

I can relate to that. Chanter was pretty smooth in the start (Solo on Hard) since you could just run away and summon the phantom and let him do the job. Hits hard, take damage like a boss and stun, plus he got sneak attacks. I am currently level 6 on mine and I feel like it's relative hard now, even using scrolls, food, potions and what not. Phantom dies fast, invocations take longer to charge up because I am using the level 2 chant that gives AoE -accuracy. 

Most awesome thing on Chanter is slowly creating a huge pile of corpses and then you pull future enemies over to your pile. White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the dead works on the same corpses again and again so when you have like 10-20 corpses in one area and each explosion does 25ish damage = fun.

I can't imagine what it's like playing a Priest on POTD solo, don't even think I wanna try to do anything solo on POTD yet.

What about Barb? I read somewhere (might've been in this thread) that Fire Godlike with Barb could do some serious work, mostly because the Fire Godlike racial works with the Barb under 50% edurance damage buff talent, but I still can't imagine doing Temple of Eothas or the castle as a Barb.

Edited by Rune100

Why none but me says anything good about druids? Like they are tanky wizards? Am I missing something? Maybe im just crazy? lol

The Acc problem can be easily solved IMO. One talent, a build arround it and ez peasy. I hadnt any problem until act III with my druid and I did not get any bug with acc

Looking at your post, seems you missed the fighter companion in Gilded Vale, plus you could've hired custom tank from the Inn (which I did before I found the companion).

Related to soloing the game - I'm sure someone will eventually do it, but based on the hard difficulty party experience this game feels unsoloable and I'm not even that far into it.

I think even POTD will be soloable likely with several classes. I've hit a point with my tank chanter where she pretty much can't be killed unless I do something extraordinarily silly.

...like run over a trap.

I'm finding ALL the traps on even hard mode do at least 100 damage.

unless you have some detect ability... there will be places you just have to avoid, or make sure you pump your con with food so you are over 100 endurance any place there might be traps.

I'm convinced barbarian just doesn't have enough defensive staying power to handle this game solo. I could absolutely be wrong, though. I haven't tested it enough.

My issue with playing a druid solo is that I have no idea how you're going to charge your spells to do anything.

Why none but me says anything good about druids? Like they are tanky wizards? Am I missing something? Maybe im just crazy? lol

The Acc problem can be easily solved IMO. One talent, a build arround it and ez peasy. I hadnt any problem until act III with my druid and I did not get any bug with acc

I might try out a second solo run on hard as a Druid, maybe you could give a few pointers or are you still using the same build as you posted on page 1? Fire Godlike seems obvious, I just hope they fixed the whole permanent DR thing.

Biggest problem I see with solo Druid is gettin interrupted because of long spell casting and you have to rest a lot, resulting in a lot of backtracking?

I'm convinced barbarian just doesn't have enough defensive staying power to handle this game solo. I could absolutely be wrong, though. I haven't tested it enough.

My issue with playing a druid solo is that I have no idea how you're going to charge your spells to do anything.

There's a guy that commented in a Reddit thread a few days ago that claimed he had gotten to level 9 in Act 2(?) before dying because he took on soemthing he shouldn't (PotD+Ironman).  Search for the thread, he laid, I believe, a complete build out.

With regards to Fighter soloing, if you're on PotD, you need to get past the phantoms etc. in Stronghold then we can talk about Edge of Reason, no?

There's a guy that commented in a Reddit thread a few days ago that claimed he had gotten to level 9 in Act 2(?) before dying because he took on soemthing he shouldn't (PotD+Ironman).  Search for the thread, he laid, I believe, a complete build out.

With regards to Fighter soloing, if you're on PotD, you need to get past the phantoms etc. in Stronghold then we can talk about Edge of Reason, no?

Was this with a barbarian or a druid?

Edge of Reason is in the stronghold? I have no idea where it is. <.<;