Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Always running back to the inn... (Suggestion)

suggestion gameplay camping

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Ink Blot

Ink Blot

Incorrigible Mountebank of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thanks! If that "God" works l'll be thrilled!

Just tested. It works. :)

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5872 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You sir, rock!

So just:

~
God

is all I need to do? This confers God mode to the entire party?

Ink Blot

Ink Blot

Incorrigible Mountebank of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1231 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You sir, rock!

So just:

~
God

is all I need to do? This confers God mode to the entire party?

Yep, close. Enable the console with the ~ key.

Hit Enter to be able to input a command.

Type iroll20s and then hit Enter again

Cheat codes are now enabled.

hit the ~ key again and then Enter

type God and hit Enter

Party is now invulnerable.

Input God again to disable God Mode. Just input iroll20s again to disable the cheat mode.

Edited by Ink Blot, 30 March 2015 - 10:03 AM.

• Gfted1 likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5872 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
w00t!

Hehe, I c&p your post into a Word document just so I don't lose it. :lol:
  • Ink Blot likes this

petch

petch

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts

Sensuki, hallowed be his name, made a Camping Supply mod. :bow:  Run, don't walk, to get it.

Where from?

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5872 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Sensuki, hallowed be his name, made a Camping Supply mod. bowdowncs7.gif  Run, don't walk, to get it.

Where from?

Im not sure if its hosted on a site yet but if you send him a PM then Im sure he'll take care of you.

SwampFalc

SwampFalc

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Steam:SwampFalc

It seems to me that part of the problem does reside in the perfectly static nature of the dungeons.

You go into a dungeon, use up some of your resources and then you either camp right there or walk back to the Inn. However, neither of those options is in any way dangerous.

You're not going to get ambushed during your rest.

The way out of the dungeon is not going to fill back up with monsters.

There are no wild animals that will wander back onto the path from the dungeon to the inn.

I mean, at the very start of the game, if you rest in the first dungeon,

Spoiler
for no good reason whatsoever, because the safest place she could be is resting, in a part of a dungeon that's been cleared.

I am not surprised that two players have now mentioned that the one time they got dropped in the middle of a dungeon, was the best adventure they had.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
See, more power to anyone who would like to cheat through the game, but that doesn't mean the game is wrong to not be designed for you to cast 73 spells per battle and never have to manage anything.

Limited camping supplies (or any similar limitation that could be implemented for resting) is no more a hassle than finite HP, or finite anything, really.

That being said, maybe it isn't mathematically perfect, and a lot of people have pointed out some things that might be a bit imbalanced in the game.

The first thing that comes to my mind, as a Wizard character, is that it seems a little strange to me that the per-rest/per-encounter thing wasn't taken further advantage of. I get that at the highest levels, your entire bottom two tiers of spells shift to per-encounter. However, I don't understand why it wouldn't have been more prudent to spread that out a bit.

At Level 1, you could start with 1 L1 spell per-encounter (PE), and 2 per rest (PR). With that in place, I'd've made Arcane Assault PR, or at least lowered it to 1 PE. Then, every few levels, all your PE spells would just shift up +1. So, maybe at Level 3, you'd get 2 L1 spells PE, and still have 2 PR. You'd just start with 2 L2 spells PR. Then, maybe at level 5, you'd get your first L3 spells PR, and you'd gain 1 L2 spell PE.

You'd get a little head start with L1 spells, and the rest would be gained later, but not just at the last two levels.

I just think a more gradual PR-PE shift would work better for Wizards. Even ONE PE spell from Lvl 2 tier or higher is ultra useful. Whereas, at level 12, you suddenly have like 4-6 PE spells from two different tiers, each, every single encounter. That's a pretty dramatic shift in spell-slinging output. I know they're much lower-leveled spells at that point, but... still.

Also, I honestly kind of prefer the "spells scale in some fashion based on your caster level" notion. The Level-1 spells can still be far weaker, but it'd be nice if they got like +2 seconds to duration every couple of levels or something. Or +5% damage. OR, you could even pick that sort of thing. Maybe they get +something to Range, or Accuracy? That would be a cool thing to choose as you progress. You could just call it "LvL-X spell mastery" or something. And, again, the devs could pick the offset to use. Every odd caster level, or every 3rd, etc.

I only have decent knowledge of the Wizard, so I'm just talking about that here, as an example, but this could probably be applied, in some way, to all the classes, to a greater or lesser degree.
  • Ink Blot, Alweth and petch like this

syarulax

syarulax

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah kinda hit your own nail in a coffin did ya?..

But there is a catch early on that quite rewarding that you can get plenty of gold once you go to Raedric Hold, clearing his castle will put you with plenty of armors, weapons and other things. Selling all of it might end up more than 5k cp.

Spoiler

Edited by syarulax, 30 March 2015 - 12:32 PM.

superluccix

superluccix

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 34 posts

I have used the free room at the inn every single time I have needed to rest. I absolutely refuse to spend money on camping supplies, when I have no idea what the game will hold for me in the future regarding expenses.

Havent used any enchants, havent bought any materials/potions/w/e. Because after all, how do I know this game isnt like DA:O where you pretty much have a limited supply of coin and could only afford the good items at the end.

I dont know of course, but thats how I always have played.

The whole way they went around this rest mechanic is just tedious. Yes I understand what they were trying to do, to add more realism, bu frankly this is an example oh where I would put Gameplay>realism.

I liked the Baldrs gate rest system. Yeah I would save/reload if I got ambushed, thereby making ambush worthless, but I want to enjoy the damn dungeon Im playing. And after every 2 battles having to run back to either rest, or then buy some supplies, to last a couple more battles, to then keep running back to get more since there is a limit.

Its annoying imo. Wouldnt be surprised if 1/4 of peoples play time involved just resting at inn/getting camping supplies

Edited by superluccix, 17 April 2015 - 05:00 PM.

Lmaoboat

Lmaoboat

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts

I have no problem with using camping supplies, but that +4 int rest bonus though. 

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have used the free room at the inn every single time I have needed to rest. I absolutely refuse to spend money on camping supplies, when I have no idea what the game will hold for me in the future regarding expenses.

Havent used any enchants, havent bought any materials/potions/w/e. Because after all, how do I know this game isnt like DA:O where you pretty much have a limited supply of coin and could only afford the good items at the end.

I dont know of course, but thats how I always have played.

The whole way they went around this rest mechanic is just tedious. Yes I understand what they were trying to do, to add more realism, bu frankly this is an example oh where I would put Gameplay>realism.

I liked the Baldrs gate rest system. Yeah I would save/reload if I got ambushed, thereby making ambush worthless, but I want to enjoy the damn dungeon Im playing. And after every 2 battles having to run back to either rest, or then buy some supplies, to last a couple more battles, to then keep running back to get more since there is a limit.

Its annoying imo. Wouldnt be surprised if 1/4 of peoples play time involved just resting at inn/getting camping supplies

You'll have way, way, way too much money.

(But then, you did in DA:O too.)

"Wouldnt be surprised if 1/4 of peoples play time involved just resting at inn/getting camping supplies"

Only if you insist on wasting 1/4 of your time running back and forth when you don't need to, yes. I have almost zero trips wasted, since there's usually a quest reward to pick up or some shopping to do by the time I've used my two supplies.

Exoduss

Exoduss

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 325 posts

Being Limited to 2 Camping Suplies would be ok if spells were per encounter ( less but per encounter ) now when they are per rest it can get retarded esp on tougher places on POTD 

Daemonjax

Daemonjax

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 344 posts

I would suggest that camping supplies just be made free and automatically refill whenever at town. I've only played on hard where you only get 2 supplies at a time, so I don't know how well this would work on other difficulties.

I'd prefer the opposite: Remove camping supplies from all shops along with the free rests in Inns.

But, hopefully there will be both kinds of mods.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suggestion, gameplay, camping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users