Stat bonus modifiers can erroneously be applied multiple times allowing stats to grow beyond intended values

pi2repsion

Question

When I reached character level 5 I observed that Eder had considerably larger defensive stats than he was supposed to given his level, attributes, and equipment. I cannot say exactly when it happened as I do not save to separate save slots that often, but looking back through my saves, the following saves are the last from before this happened and the first from after it happened.

I am running the game on Windows.

Saves at dropbox due to forum attachment limit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5sgetpefdousrr/Eder_unexplained_stat_increase.rar?dl=0

The save before the discrepancy occurs is from temple of Eothan with about half of the first level cleared. Eder is level 4 and when stripped of all gear and buffs, his defenses are 36/53/31/39 - exactly what one would expect given his level and attributes.

The save after is from the Black Meadow, two days later. Eder is still level 4, but now when stripped of all gear and buffs, his defenses are 58/63/48/51 and he has also gained +1 perception and +1 resolve (which are responsible for 2 of the reflex and will increases).

The total unexplained increase is thus 20/10/15/10, +1 per, +1 res.

It is obvious to suspect a bug with respects to stacking stat bonuses that fails to get cleared, as that is a much too common bug in CRPGs, and the suspicion is supported by the stat-bonus gear Eder has been wearing during this time is Fulvano's Amulet (+5 reflex) and Minor Ring of Deflection (+5 deflection) as well, after finding it in the temple, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil (+1 per, +1 res).

The observed discrepancy is thus a perfect match with the stats of Defender mode (with Wary Defender) and the three named items being added once and not cleared when they should be, so it seems very likely that the discrepancy happened at some time after the Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil helmet was picked up and equipped. That still leaves a considerable gap from that point of time in the temple to the Black Marsh save, but it is the closest I can narrow down the gap given the saves on hand.

...He does make an awesome tank, though, running around at level 5 with 96/73/65/63 defenses when defender mode is activated and he is wearing his equipment, but it is trivializing content.

• Like 6

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Where is fix ???????????????????? This is an outrage!!!!!!! One week and still unplayable game!!! Obsidian took money and can't produce fix for so simple duplication stat bug. I will never never buy again original game from Obsidian. Next time at most, only PB.

If you don't save/load as much and it only happens once or twice it's gonna be pretty tough to notice it. Especially if defenses are affected.

Most people started noticing because of the absurd 100 int or something.

Great game and all but yeah, I got this too. With Grieving Mother. Gonna take a bit of a break from playing now and wait for the patch.

Still doesn´t diminish what a great game it is though.

I agree, and also taking a break, reluctantly.  The bug affected me via the Drinking Horn.   My druid has 38 INT...

This has grown to a rather big topic, so I'll just ask: Is there any way to prevent this from happening at the moment ?

I enjoy the challenge on Hard, not too much but not too easy. The problem is, I noticed fairly late that Eder has 114 deflection, so hoping for a way to avoid it so I can start a fresh game

This has grown to a rather big topic, so I'll just ask: Is there any way to prevent this from happening at the moment ?

I enjoy the challenge on Hard, not too much but not too easy. The problem is, I noticed fairly late that Eder has 114 deflection, so hoping for a way to avoid it so I can start a fresh game

You have to try not to save and reload in any of the areas where you can recruit a party member.

If the area has a building you can go inside and save there, for example.

• Like 1

This bug can be prevented if you do not save load on companion home maps (where you recruited them from)

• Like 1

You have to try not to save and reload in any of the areas where you can recruit a party member.

If the area has a building you can go inside and save there, for example.

+1

But I also want to add that you should be careful when equipping new item with stats bonuses. Some of them can lead to stat stacking even without saving/loading within said areas.

Best advice is to check your characters stats consistently and create new saves instead of overwriting older ones. Always keep the option to load an older one when your current savegame shows some irregularities. The only other option is to wait for the patch.

Oh wow, thank you for letting me know !

Now I can start playing again, deleted all my saves and avoided starting fresh before the patch, but if I can atleast avoid this bug, and the inventory bug, it should be fine :)

Can someone explain this to me as I've fallen foul of it and want to restart. For example, it is just the literal map that your can't save in or is it also locations inside that map (so for Eder and Aloth, is it fine to save in the Black Hound Inn or Temple of Eothas without encountering that bug - or as they're locations accessible from the Gilded Vale map are they off limits too)?

I guess if it's the latter maybe I'll just wait until the patch as there's no way I could do the Temple of Eothas without a save.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just tested it myself. I guess for anyone who didn't know it's literally only the map itself, internal locations are fine to save in (so saving in the Black Hound in is okay for Eder and Aloth but saving outdoors in the Gilded Vale is not). I guess this was already covered somewhere in the thread, but I couldn't be bothered to trawl through pages to find out.

Edited by Jojobobo

[...]  it is just the literal map that your can't save in or is it also locations inside that map (so for Eder and Aloth, is it fine to save in the Black Hound Inn or Temple of Eothas without encountering that bug - or as they're locations accessible from the Gilded Vale map are they off limits too)? [...]

See:

For everyone who's same as dumb as me:

When it's called you shouldn't save within the areas where you've recruited your companions, it doesn't mean you also shouldn't save in their sub-areas.

So if you want to save e.g. within Gilded Vale just enter a sub-area (e.g. Black Hound) and feel free to save without increasing stats.

Maybe for everyone else this was already a trivial conclusion, but I thought I couldn't save within the entire areas including sub-areas.   :biggrin:

Can someone explain this to me as I've fallen foul of it and want to restart. For example, it is just the literal map that your can't save in or is it also locations inside that map (so for Eder and Aloth, is it fine to save in the Black Hound Inn or Temple of Eothas without encountering that bug - or as they're locations accessible from the Gilded Vale map are they off limits too)?

I guess if it's the latter maybe I'll just wait until the patch as there's no way I could do the Temple of Eothas without a save.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just tested it myself. I guess for anyone who didn't know it's literally only the map itself, internal locations are fine to save in (so saving in the Black Hound in is okay for Eder and Aloth but saving outdoors in the Gilded Vale is not). I guess this was already covered somewhere in the thread, but I couldn't be bothered to trawl through pages to find out.

Patch will come out today if nothing went wrong during the last stage of QA.

Patch 1.03 seem to prevent this bug from occurring again when save/load in a recruiting area, and retroactively fix attributes, defenses, AOE, and Healing Bonus.

As patch 1.03 doesn't retroactively fix endurance and health, the workaround is still applicable.

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=580596

Latest CT file (credit to tfigment, but corrected by me): https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zh5l024c8mhvle/PillarsOfEternity_1.0.3_figment_v10_corrected_and_add_end_bonus_v2.CT?dl=0