Stat bonus modifiers can erroneously be applied multiple times allowing stats to grow beyond intended values

pi2repsion

Question

When I reached character level 5 I observed that Eder had considerably larger defensive stats than he was supposed to given his level, attributes, and equipment. I cannot say exactly when it happened as I do not save to separate save slots that often, but looking back through my saves, the following saves are the last from before this happened and the first from after it happened.

I am running the game on Windows.

Saves at dropbox due to forum attachment limit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5sgetpefdousrr/Eder_unexplained_stat_increase.rar?dl=0

The save before the discrepancy occurs is from temple of Eothan with about half of the first level cleared. Eder is level 4 and when stripped of all gear and buffs, his defenses are 36/53/31/39 - exactly what one would expect given his level and attributes.

The save after is from the Black Meadow, two days later. Eder is still level 4, but now when stripped of all gear and buffs, his defenses are 58/63/48/51 and he has also gained +1 perception and +1 resolve (which are responsible for 2 of the reflex and will increases).

The total unexplained increase is thus 20/10/15/10, +1 per, +1 res.

It is obvious to suspect a bug with respects to stacking stat bonuses that fails to get cleared, as that is a much too common bug in CRPGs, and the suspicion is supported by the stat-bonus gear Eder has been wearing during this time is Fulvano's Amulet (+5 reflex) and Minor Ring of Deflection (+5 deflection) as well, after finding it in the temple, Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil (+1 per, +1 res).

The observed discrepancy is thus a perfect match with the stats of Defender mode (with Wary Defender) and the three named items being added once and not cleared when they should be, so it seems very likely that the discrepancy happened at some time after the Pilgrim's Lasting Vigil helmet was picked up and equipped. That still leaves a considerable gap from that point of time in the temple to the Black Marsh save, but it is the closest I can narrow down the gap given the saves on hand.

...He does make an awesome tank, though, running around at level 5 with 96/73/65/63 defenses when defender mode is activated and he is wearing his equipment, but it is trivializing content.

• Like 6

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Unbelievable. I have to confirm this.

Figured out that my Edér has earned himself a big stats boost thanks to his Ring of Protection and multiple save & load in Gilded Vale. Other stats / characters are most likely affected as well. Hmpf.

This is at least fun breaking.

The mother of all game breaking bugs.

I really stopped playing right now when I noticed my characters are affected.

I am pondering atm if in the meantime I should make a new game and play the rogue I wanted to try as well while waiting for the hotfix.

Now I know about it, I can avoid this bug by simply never saving in the area where you picked up your companion, or be sure to remove all stat boosting items before saving and loading.

This is totally ruining the game for me i restarted 2 times already cause of other bugs now  my party has insane stats because of this i loaded some earlier saves but i saved a lot in the affected areas, i really don't want to start over again.....

Edited by tet666

I am pondering atm if in the meantime I should make a new game and play the rogue I wanted to try as well while waiting for the hotfix.

Now I know about it, I can avoid this bug by simply never saving in the area where you picked up your companion, or be sure to remove all stat boosting items before saving and loading.

Not saving in the area you got the companion might help but people still report that saving in certain open areas will nevertheless trigger the bug.

Also don't forget that your HP might randomly raise, which doesn't seem to be tied to items/spells as there's no +hp affixes even.

This also affects Aloth's Leather Armor with the Overseeing effect (extra 10% AoE).

After quicksaving and quickloading around 15 times in front of the Black Hound Inn, this is the result...

ZV0sD8t.jpg

The red circle is the default AoE.

Also, his defenses while wearing the Minor Cloak of Protection during the same test...

0rmiCSV.png

I really don't feel like playing this game if this bug is gonna force me to constanly check the character sheets to see whether one or multiple stats have ballooned in the meantime.

Same here, :<

Today I just go do something else, maybe tomorrow I will play a bit on new character and avoid some bugs.

one way to do it would be to make a full custom party for now, i need to think about it. I wanna continue my current save t.b.h. :@:@:@

It's weird that this one made it through Beta, it seems super obvious.

There are two possible reasons:

- the bug was introduced in the Day-1 patch

- they were aware of the problem and decided to release the game anyway

Edited by Insolentius

Not saving in the area you got the companion might help but people still report that saving in certain open areas will nevertheless trigger the bug.

Also don't forget that your HP might randomly raise, which doesn't seem to be tied to items/spells as there's no +hp affixes even.

Lol... I see, guess I will just wait for hotfix/patch. I waited long enough I can wait a bit longer.

Such a shame, but well... thats life. 

From what I heard on Steam forum, is that in alpha/beta etc they all tested with a preconfigured group. So no companions. Hence no1 noticed a thing.

Edited by zephiris

Is there a way to edit Defenses (Deflection, Fortitude, etc.) with console commands? I've found out how to edit Attributes and Skills but not Defenses. My only bugged character is Edér, and only slightly so. If I could fix his stats then I'd be set. 

Higher intelligence decreases damage?  You sure?

For DoT spells high intelligence means less damage. Well not less per se but spread out over a longer duration. One would think a longer duration on a DoT would mean more damage overall not just the same damage ticking for way longer

Higher intelligence decreases damage?  You sure?

Intellect at 10 : DoT Damage = X over Y seconds

Intellect above 10: Dot Damage = X over Y * (intellect bonus) seconds

Basically, the amount of damage stays the same, but the DPS suffers.

Edited by Insolentius

Oh, I see.  That's less a bug and more bad design.  Intelligence correctly increases duration but since the damage stays constant it means the same amount of damage is spread over a longer time for lower DPS. 

Seems like higher intelligence should decrease the duration on DoT spells.

• Like 1

As far as I could notice this bug did not happen in beta, at least not in the latest build. And there were no companions that you could pick up.

Edited by Tanred
  • Like 1

Oh, I see.  That's less a bug and more bad design.  Intelligence correctly increases duration but since the damage stays constant it means the same amount of damage is spread over a longer time for lower DPS. 

Seems like higher intelligence should decrease the duration on DoT spells.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73785-bugs-damage-over-time-issues/ There's the thread with practical examples.

I wonder would grazes actually increase the dps? That's just silly. (i'm not sure how actually grazes work just that duration is reduced by 50%) Also having 9 or lower INT would be beneficial in some cases?

Edited by Andre

Thank god for NCarver (Developer).

If he has read this topic (seems he is reading right now) then I can rest assured that they are aware of it.

I hope they can easily fix this issue, maybe even hotfix it so I can continue playing the game on the HARD setting, when the game is also actually hard :)

As right now since my characters have been affected by this bug, I am not continueing because it ruins the fun (being challenging on hardmode).

Edited by zephiris