Need info in getting into game programming

Hello all,

I want to make a career switch from currently being a software developer to a game developer / game programmer. I last programmed in C++ 4 years ago and primarily work with Java. I have a minor in math but haven't used it since I graduated college in 1996 with a degree in chemistry(go figure). What hope do I have in cracking into this field before I get to old and crusty.

Thanks

Try this: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=560&st=15

Check the seventh post (by Chris Jones) for a similar question and answer. Should give some guidance, as to what the people in the business are looking for :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Try this: http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=560&st=15

Check the seventh post (by Chris Jones) for a similar question and answer. Should give some guidance, as to what the people in the business are looking for  :)

If you already have a programming career, you also need to understand that you most likely will have to take a huge pay cut to get into this industry. Programming experience in other industries generally doesn't carry a lot of weight in games. At best an experienced developer from outside the industry would be able to come in at somewhere between a junior and intermediate salary level.

And Java isn't really used at all. If you are going to do a demo or something, it would be better to brush up on your C++ skills again.

Good luck!