Reasons this game is un-finished

No, but that doesn't matter at all right now because this game is insanely amazing.

Yes and no, Great graphics, seriously, here we got something above BGs, rest... meh

There are insanly great ideas in this game, sadly they have been insanely bad designed.

No, but that doesn't matter at all right now because this game is insanely amazing.

Yes and no, Great graphics, seriously, here we got something above BGs, rest... meh

There are insanly great ideas in this game, sadly they have been insanely bad designed.

Bad Design? I don't see any issues except maybe there could be more reactivity to the player's race but it's not reasonable to expect more since having some 8 versions of a ton of dialogue plus all the potential branching would literally be impossible to implement. This is fine, about as good as could be expected given the time and budget they had to make the game. Fortunately it's insanely successful so hopefully Obsidian's future is secure to make future games on whatever timelines and budgets they desire without worries.

• Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

I'm sad that we can't bash in locks, or at least attempt to, but I'm still having a great time with the game.

Oh, we can totally do that. Why do you think the appropriate level of Mechanics skill bypasses the use of Lockpicks? :)

Clearly, you just know where to apply force to break the lock.

/jest

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

People need to learn the difference between broken and "preference".    There isn't anything on the OP list that indicates the game is broken.    Some of them I would like to see change but that is a personal preference.    

I don't like the "have to be in stealth to detect stuff" but other than that stealth is okay.    Not sure I agree that only one guy needs to be in stealth when 5 big burly dude in heavy armor are close by.    They kind of give away the stealthy dude.

• Like 3

I don't like the "have to be in stealth to detect stuff" but other than that stealth is okay.    Not sure I agree that only one guy needs to be in stealth when 5 big burly dude in heavy armor are close by.    They kind of give away the stealthy dude.

'Cause he's INVISI-stealthed! Duh! u_u. He runs way out on his own, while everyone else is completely out-of-sight and earshot, then he stabs a guy in the back, and runs all the way back to his group, somehow without being riddled with arrows/bolts. Then, the baddies all follow him, even when they're intelligent humans who could just think "No, men! Stay here in our deliberately-setup-to-be-defensible camp! Don't just run off into the night foliage where everything's unknown!", but they don't.

:)

Of course, AI's understandably the weakest part of many a cRPG. I'm waiting for some uber-genius to invent the video-game equivalent of SkyNet. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

People need to learn the difference between broken and "preference".    There isn't anything on the OP list that indicates the game is broken.    Some of them I would like to see change but that is a personal preference.    

This, so much. Are there a lot of design decision I don't care for? Yep. But unfinished? Not at all. Buggy? Hardly. Certainly not by the standards set by the industry, or even obsidian itself. It does need some fixing, but compared to their other attempts, this is 1) an actual gem, rather than a turd, and 2) even has some polish to it.

Wait, what? How would that give away the stealthy dude? If I see five burly guys in heavy armour, why would I automatically think "Oh, there must be a rogue hiding nearby"?. And even if I did think that, for whatever reason, through which process exactly would I be able to actually detect said rogue? Woudn't the presence of other combatants make it even harder to search for guys who might be concealing themselves in the periphery?

I mean, unless I'm severely misreading your comment here.

^ Well, if they're organized human beings that use tactics and strategic thinking, they're basically going to see enemies, and become more alert than they were previously. They won't focus ALL their attention on the few people they've seen. They'll be better prepared for unseen ones. Thus, unless your Rogue's already snuck all the way somewhere where he's just-plain invisible, they're more likely to spot him (the stealth skill vs enemy's detection check is just a representation of how undetected you currently are, because you're far enough away/behind them, etc.)

Sure, there are some foes that might behave differently. Xaurips, maybe? But, wolves? They'd just smell you. Have fun hiding from a wolf. And Skuldr and such... they can basically detect your soul. So, yeah.

Anywho, individual stealth would still be the ideal way to go. This little tidbit isn't about "SO THAT'S WHY GROUP STEALTH IS THE BEST EVER DESIGN!". But, there are plenty of things people would like to do with individual stealth that just make no sense whatseover, simply because games have let us do them in the past.

For PoE's setting, stealth would have to be decently "realistic," however it was done. So, it would still have to be used tactically, and not just "since my rogue's unspottable for some reason, I'll just stand him 5 feet behind all the foes, and when they see enemies, they'll just NEVER look around or anything, and he'll always get a free first hit on them, battle after battle after battle."

When Rogues just become invisible and get extra damage from attacking from stealth and such, it kinda makes me wonder why they don't just get a first-hit damage bonus, as the whole stealth thing becomes moot.

• Like 1

I think it's funny, some of those game breaking issues are things I like about the game (I having arrows), some are things I don't mind and are certainly no problem (group stealth), and others are just normal for this type of game anyway (npcs that don't walk around).  Everyone listed I categorize as a non-issue really, they're just design decisions.

When Rogues just become invisible and get extra damage from attacking from stealth and such, it kinda makes me wonder why they don't just get a first-hit damage bonus, as the whole stealth thing becomes moot.

They do get the first hit bonus though, the sneak attack applies in the first two seconds of combat.  It's just not quite as good as backstab is all.  And no matter how far away I've been when first detected i've been able to run up and get that hit in time.  Then the trick is to keep that sneak attack going with conditions.

But then I never did the backstab stuff in IE games, it was too much of a hassle really.  It's not like the game is too hard if you can't use it.

They do get the first hit bonus though, the sneak attack applies in the first two seconds of combat.  It's just not quite as good as backstab is all.  And no matter how far away I've been when first detected i've been able to run up and get that hit in time.  Then the trick is to keep that sneak attack going with conditions.

But then I never did the backstab stuff in IE games, it was too much of a hassle really.  It's not like the game is too hard if you can't use it.

I'm sorry, as my meaning wasn't clear. I was talking about Rogues in RPGs in general. When they get to become invisible, and then get a "if you're invisible, and you attack, you get a bonus, because invisibility!"... the stealth becomes a bit moot, since there's no effort involved. You either make your Rogue invisible and he gets a free hit, or you don't and he doesn't. There's no "Oh no, I'm going to be detected because I didn't do it right!", and no range of effectiveness of that hit. So, I was saying, when people design Rogues like that in games, I don't understand why they don't just skip the Stealth and just say "the first attack you make gets a bunch of extra damage."

I wasn't commenting on how Rogues work in PoE, specifically. I'm just saying, if we ever do get individual Stealth in PoE, I'd hope there's a bit more to it than "You're invisible... now start the battle with everyone else while your invisible Rogue jogs in circles around the enemy as he waits 'til everyone else has gotten their attention before he strikes.

There's nothing really super wrong with that -- with the ability to be hidden and strike whenever. I just feel like:

A) It'd be nice to see a slightly more in-depth stealth system in place, that doesn't get superceded by the Rogue's mysterious ability to become completely invisible.

B) It'd be nice to have to employ more tactical effort to achieve a range of effects from the positioning/usage of your Rogue in something like a Sneak Attack.

If you limit access to the stash then could you run into the problem where you couldn't pick up new items because your inventory is full? in reference to needing to drop something.

I'm still experimenting with the Stash restriction. But if I'm not mistaken, by restricting the Stash, you could still put items inside it but you could not access it to retrieve items unless you are in town/safe areas. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by brionkj