Reasons this game is un-finished

1. Broken stealth mechanics that need to be changed to individual stealth.

2. Not being able to drop items out of inventory or on to the game world ground.

3. Seeing all npcs in the game world walk but you cant unless its a game movie scene.

4. No options to bash open or break locks on chests , doors, or cabinets.

5. No ammunition for ranged weapons. This is very strange.

6. No option to pass time.

If these issues were fixed this game would be amazing.

• Like 1

2. Not being able to drop items out of inventory or on to the game world ground.

3. Seeing all npcs in the game world walk but you cant unless its a game movie scene.

I can give you 2,4,6 as minor issues but nothing game breaking and all of the 6 can easily be considered design decisions rather then an unfinished game.

• Like 3

"This game isn't a carbon copy of all other previous games that I've played" isn't a particularly compelling argument.  In no particular order, inventory and arrow management is a nuisance that was removed for cause; you actually can pass time for free by resting in the starter town inn or the stronghold, so you can pass time; stealth = opinion asserted as fact; requiring one of a few skills to pick locks is a design choice, not "broken", especially since ANY CLASS CAN PICK LOCKs; and as far as walking, there is half speed if so moved.

So - a mix of falsehoods and opinions does not make an "unfinished game".

• Like 1

Well to me the number one reason the game is unfinished is: THIS IS OBSIDIAN GAME  :grin:

For years they blamed the publishers for their unpolished, bugged games. Who is to blame now?

Let's face it Obsidian will continue to make games with a very nice story and worlds. But the actual game part of their RPGs will forever remain the bugfest and a thing for community to repair.

Let's face it fans. We are to blame. Right now CEO's of obsidian knows that however bugged unplayable the game will be the fans will buy and then even fix the gameplay for them.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better for Obsidian to fail at sales of one game that they invested their own money in.

Maybe then they will hire a more competent crew of programmers and game designers.

I gave them a lot of money, they gave me a wonderful game (for me). I'm pretty happy with that situation. But all of us will differ on that.

Objectively speaking, "bugfest" is a joke - having been around on launch day for Morrowind / Oblivion / Skyrim, NWN1, every Obsidian game, Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout 3, etc., etc., this is a very polished release. (Remember Morrowind's utterly random hard crashes wherever you were and whatever you were doing, or Fallout 3's script errors and giant floating exclamation marks? Or, yes, KOTOR2's ending?) Not to mention the last 2 Obsidian games were universally acknowledged as polished and not-buggy.

• Like 10

Well to me the number one reason the game is unfinished is: THIS IS OBSIDIAN GAME  :grin:

For years they blamed the publishers for their unpolished, bugged games. Who is to blame now?

Let's face it Obsidian will continue to make games with a very nice story and worlds. But the actual game part of their RPGs will forever remain the bugfest and a thing for community to repair.

Let's face it fans. We are to blame. Right now CEO's of obsidian knows that however bugged unplayable the game will be the fans will buy and then even fix the gameplay for them.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better for Obsidian to fail at sales of one game that they invested their own money in.

Maybe then they will hire a more competent crew of programmers and game designers.

The game has bugs and issues, sure, but many of them do not break the game. Give us a more extensive list of bugs than an extensive post with no real substance.

There have been bigger games with even more crippling bugs on release.

• Like 2

None of the above constitutes bugs as such, or even if they were counted as bugs, I fail to see how/why they are worse, than any other developer in this regard based on this game. Virtually every game released has bugs in it, and patches is the norm for the first couple of months. But this game is relatively bug free, with the exception of the double-click gear-swap, which is frustrating as heck.

Edited by Prime-Mover
  • Like 1

Well at some point the company/Devs just have to go with what they have, try to polish it up as much as possible and then release knowing the can then keep tweaking, adding things and balancing through patching. If not, they could be developing a game forever trying to get everything right and the way they want things. Then factor in a kickstarter budget, that yes while it was a lot, is eventually limited and going to run out. That's what has happened here. It's really no ones fault and Pillars will be a better game 6 months from now. While I knew this with Wasteland 2 and have still held out playing it because of that, since pillars is having an expansion I decided to play it through now and then again when the expansion comes out because I feel it will be enough of a different experience to warrant another play through at that time.

Most of those are design choices. And honestly some of you complains are stupid: why would you like to walk? There is a slow moving mode if you like it.

There is no bashing because the devs didn't want to force you to play with any class so you can play without any fighter or any rouge on your group and still have a character that can lock pick and disarm traps if you put points in mechanics.

There is no reason to throw stuff on the ground when you have an infinite stash.

Ammunition managing was probably the most annoying thing in the old IE games ,the different arrow types just filled your inventory all the time. In BG2 and TOB the devs tried to minimize the need for ammo by giving you an infinite ammo ranged weapons(the gezen bow/the throwing dagger) and ammo stashes that never ends. This game is just continuing this trend.

Edited by barakav
  • Like 2

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Well to me the number one reason the game is unfinished is: THIS IS OBSIDIAN GAME  grin.gif

Probably the lack of 20 million dollars and double their team size, if I had to guess. You're rolling with a pretty huge fallacy here.

Just because they still had problems under this completely different set of circumstances, doesn't mean that the publisher couldn't possibly be causing any problems in the typical publisher scenario.

Or, here's an easy example: If they had a big publisher, but everything else was the same, do you think they would've allowed the game to be pushed back to March? Or would it have released in December, in time for Christmas, with half the stuff that IS in it missing from it?

Riddle me that, Batman.

And yes, I'm even going to play the "YOU found your own studio, raise 4 million, start with an engine you've never used before, and do better in the same amount of time, u_u" card. You can't properly deduce things with fallacial comparisons. You've got to gather relevant data first.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

1. group stealth =/= mean stealth is broken

2. there's no need to drop thing on the ground, your stash is infinite in size

3. why on earth would you ever want to walk?

4. design decision

5. design decision

6. it's called "resting." You should try it.

• Like 2

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

So this game is unfinished because you can't walk?

Well ,I guess that means that baldurs gate 2 was unfinished as well ,since you couldn't sit while other characters could...

Edited by barakav
  • Like 2

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I don't care about answering anymore replies to this, the only reason I posted it was in hope the devs would read it.

I don't care how anyone feels regarding what I wrote, I just hope these things will be changed by them reading it.

(done.)

#4 seems legit. Haven't even give a single thought about others. Especially walking. I was playing it for like Saturday and Sunday almost non stop and barely scratched main story and side quests. With walking it'd take like what? Month in real life? Nah. I better spend it on drawing. So maybe patch?

The rest is kinda pointless.

Well to me the number one reason the game is unfinished is: THIS IS OBSIDIAN GAME  grin.gif

Probably the lack of 20 million dollars and double their team size, if I had to guess. You're rolling with a pretty huge fallacy here.

Just because they still had problems under this completely different set of circumstances, doesn't mean that the publisher couldn't possibly be causing any problems in the typical publisher scenario.

Or, here's an easy example: If they had a big publisher, but everything else was the same, do you think they would've allowed the game to be pushed back to March? Or would it have released in December, in time for Christmas, with half the stuff that IS in it missing from it?

Riddle me that, Batman.

And yes, I'm even going to play the "YOU found your own studio, raise 4 million, start with an engine you've never used before, and do better in the same amount of time, u_u" card. You can't properly deduce things with fallacial comparisons. You've got to gather relevant data first.

Then i play "You are just a fan that will buy any crap from the producer you adore" card.

Here is the data:

Obsidian said that because there is no producer the game will be polished and not bugged like usual. - They failed at that.

Obsidian asked for 1 mil, they got 4 mil - They failed at planning the budget.

Obsidian made their own timetable - They failed at keeping it.

Obsidian chose the engine - They failed at mastering it.

So how is that not THEIR fault.

If I remember correctly you were one of the people that were very vocal about how this will be so good and polished game because there is no developer every time someone was concerned with the quality of the game. And now you backpedal on your statement because lack of money, people and unfamiliar engine? Come on at least try not to be a mindless fandrone.

It would be their fault, if the game wasn't: polished, getting rave reviews, selling like hotcakes, and providing many of us with a wonderful time. 

I'd be willing to hear arguments about why it's not polished or it's buggy... if there was an argument that wasn't based on "if I can't walk it's not polished" or "look this game has some bugs, it's such a buggy game, never mind how it compares to other RPGs".

It's hard to break out of my terrible condition as a fandrone when you give me something you call 'data' but it's not data.

• Like 4

I don't agree that the game is 'unfinished' due to these points, but I do think some of these design decision could use an overhaul, maybe for the expansion or (even better) a patch:

1. Individual stealth: not broken per se, but ye gods we need individual stealth mechanics, please.

2. Not being able to drop items: I don't see why this is a big deal. Just sell the crap you don't want

3. Seeing all npcs in the game world walk but you cant: I don't understand the obsession with walking, but to each their own. Something that could be patched in I suppose, but certainly not 'unfinished'.

4. No options to bash open or break locks on chests , doors, or cabinets: this is an odd design decision. BioWare did this in DA:O and it makes very little sense IMO that you cannot open a locked item without the Mechanics skill.

5. No ammunition for ranged weapons: I actually prefer this as opposed to having to sift through my inventory to find 5 different types of ammo for various different critters. No thanks.

6. No option to pass time: One can always sleep at an inn to do this. Again, not an indicator of 'unfinished' status though.

• Like 1

Guest Guest01

I wholeheartedly agree on all points. For me, the first three taint the game the most. There's just no excuse not having IE stealth and not being able to drop items on the ground.

Edited by Guest01