How's experienced shared?

Right now I have my character (Rogue) and 4 companion characters (Wizard, Priest, Fighter, and Chanter) all Level 4 doing the Temple right now on Hard difficulty.

I would love to hire a 6th character (a fighter that is a tank so I have 2 tanks) but I'm afraid that the hired character will steal experience from my other characters and I only plan on using him until I gain one more companion.

I would like to know as well.
However if this is a case where XP is shared with every member, then I don't see how adding a 6th party member will make it worse compared to only 5 members. Its still slow anyway, and the extra help is often times more useful than whatever tinesy little XP you would be saving. 

If im not wrong, any additional character reduce experience gain by 5% or something of the sort, but I wouldn't care too much about it really, the game built in a way that there is enough experience for you to gain and to be honest im killing drake with his minion army with level 5 party so yeah, go for it, take another character and just have fun :)

Also, when you put your extra companions in your keep i think they wont "steal" your XP but they'll still level up (maybe slower ? not sure).

Another thing to note is when you meet companions for the first time they'll be about your level, so you don't wanna be TOO experienced or you won't be able to chose their traits ;)

what_can_cb510.png

Another thing to note is when you meet companions for the first time they'll be about your level, so you don't wanna be TOO experienced or you won't be able to chose their traits ;)

That's good to know. Do they level up if they are not on your current roster or fall behind?

That's good to know. Do they level up if they are not on your current roster or fall behind?

They do level up, in the keep, but im still in the begining of the game so i cant tell how fast/slow/similar their XP gain is when they're waiting in the keep :)

what_can_cb510.png

I have a custom cleric that I removed from my group to make room for Adar, and she hasn't gotten past level 3. My other characters are level 6. As best I can determine, characters not in your party do not gain xp.

Do you have the stronghold ? maybe they just level in there ?

I left my rogue at level 4 and now hes level 5.

what_can_cb510.png

The characters in the keep definitely do gain XP - I did a test myself today.(I put my created mage in with 3017 XP, went and cleared the wilderness area before entering Defiant City and at the inn, dragged her out and she'd gained about 200-300ish XP. I didn't, like an idiot, check how much XP the rest of the activfe party had gained. It does appear to be at a fairly reduced rate, though, so I've no idea how much slower it is.

The characters in the keep definitely do gain XP - I did a test myself today.(I put my created mage in with 3017 XP, went and cleared the wilderness area before entering Defiant City and at the inn, dragged her out and she'd gained about 200-300ish XP. I didn't, like an idiot, check how much XP the rest of the activfe party had gained. It does appear to be at a fairly reduced rate, though, so I've no idea how much slower it is.

I think they get around 90%. I was running around with a 2 man party, turning in quests for a while. When I came back, my main guy had gotten 1100 while the 3 sleepers in the inn got 900-something each. Not sure whether or not XP are reduced by the number of NPCs. My 2nd custom character doesn't level like the rest of them (I think).

• 1 year later...

I think they get around 90%. I was running around with a 2 man party, turning in quests for a while. When I came back, my main guy had gotten 1100 while the 3 sleepers in the inn got 900-something each. Not sure whether or not XP are reduced by the number of NPCs. My 2nd custom character doesn't level like the rest of them (I think).

Dragon Age gave 90% XP to party members who were unconscious or back at camp, for whatever that's worth.

But I'm necroing this because I am wondering the same thing.

To summarize the process, experience is gained as follows. Events (quest, bestiary unlock, etc.) provide a certain amount EXP of experience. Each member of the active party receives this amount EXP of experience, with 10% bonus for each member less than 6 in the active party. So:

- 6 member party: each gains EXP experience

- 5 member party: each gains 1.1 x EXP experience

- 4 member party: each gains 1.2 x EXP experience

- 3 member party: each gains 1.3 x EXP experience

- 2 member party: each gains 1.4 x EXP experience

- 1 member party: each gains 1.5 x EXP experience

Non-active companions/hirelings always gain 0.75 x EXP (regardless of the active party size). Non-active companions/hirelings that are doing an adventure that gives an XP reward, get an *additional* 75% + (XP reward)%. So suppose the adventure gives a 15% XP reward, the companion/hireling will receive (0.75 + 0.75 + 0.15) x EXP = 1.65 x EXP as long as the adventure is ongoing (note that the amount listed when the adventure ends is only the 75% + (XP reward)% ). 

Note that the amount of XP listed in the log "Party gained [...] experience" is the sum of the experience the individual active party members gained, so this will vary depending on the active party size (from 6 x EXP in a six member party to 1.5 x EXP when soloing). 

• Like 3

If im not wrong, any additional character reduce experience gain by 5% or something of the sort, but I wouldn't care too much about it really, the game built in a way that there is enough experience for you to gain and to be honest im killing drake with his minion army with level 5 party so yeah, go for it, take another character and just have fun :)

Also, when you put your extra companions in your keep i think they wont "steal" your XP but they'll still level up (maybe slower ? not sure).

Extra companions in your keep stay at your level always. I recruited lots of followers and left them unleveled at my keep. When I got back at max level to take them out for a spin to complete their story quests, they just leveled up to max level like me. So i'm not sure what the stronghold quests that you can send them on to gain xp are for... the xp part at least doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

Extra companions in your keep stay at your level always. I recruited lots of followers and left them unleveled at my keep. When I got back at max level to take them out for a spin to complete their story quests, they just leveled up to max level like me. So i'm not sure what the stronghold quests that you can send them on to gain xp are for... the xp part at least doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

They don't stay at your level. They gain 75% of base experience, compared to the 100% - 150% that the active party members gain. As such they will inherently start to lag behind the active party members, and the quests can thus be used to somewhat compensate for that. 

The reason they were at maximum level when you picked them up again must have been that you gained enough experience that they reached that point despite them getting less of it. They don't stop gaining experience once your main party members hit the experience cap. 

• Like 1