Install IE mod and you can respec the companions and still get the story benefits.

Sounds awesome

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

cipher is mandatory

Unsure how true this is later but I'm playing with a Druid PC and 5 companions (Pallegina, Eder, Aloth, Sagani, and Durance), and this seems not true at all up to the middle of act 2~ (on PotD). The hardest point in the game for me so far was the Shadow/Shade fights in the temple at level 3-4. Everything else has been easier, including Od Nua down to level 8.

Druids are ridiculously good on PotD - the AE damage with Secrets of Rime and a (crafted) Freezing Lash weapon has made most fights pretty easy? Basically I just have a frontline (Eder and Pallegina), 1... sort of midline (Durance), and Aloth, Sagani, and my PC sort of backlining throwing spells around. On harder fights I have to micromanage Aloth to land good Fan of Flames, but mostly him, Sagani, and Durance are just shooting stuff with ranged weapons.

Basically you just prioritize deflection and accuracy talent wise, pick up good items (Eder's starting armor and a ring you can buy in Ondra's Gift are especially relevant - they give Second Chance, which brings you back to life after knock out), and everything is fine.

ciphers' inst paral makes everything a cakewalk too.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

• 3 weeks later...

6 rangers. 19, 5, 19, 16, 16, 3 for the main char(for the dialogue checks), 19, 10, 19, 10, 10, 8 (I think) for the rest of the squad. In the middle of Act 2, level 8 of the Endless Roads, lion companion for the main, bears for the rest, each one of them is using a different type of ranged weapon, focus on accuracy over speed, so far so good. If you lure enemies piecemeal and scout ahead, you're unbeatable, or at least you can retreat with the rangers if things go south and just wait for the companons to revive and the enemies to go back to their original positions, with absolutely no consequences.

This is my custom PotD party. First time PotD, other than a short trial of iron experiment.

PC melee Pirate Rogue, coastal aumaumau wielding one handed sabre and (soon) a pair of pistols

Might 20

Con 8

Dex 19

Per 10

Int 3

Res 18

Two hander fighter spec'd for damage, human. Will be going estoc/war bow currently with flail and shield as I need the deflection more than damage. As I get wary defender and better gear will be able to open up on the damage front, or at least that is the plan.

Might 19

Con 10

Dex 19

Per 10

Int 3

Res 17

Tanky chanter - Boreal Dwarf - his job is to live long enough to summon phantom, on the frontline. sword and shield

Might 15

Con 10

Dex 8

Per 12

Int 18

Res 15

Pale elf monk - on the frontline in heavy armor using fists, sometimes fist & shield, uses torments and FoA

Might 18

Con 15

Dex 20

Per 4

Int 11

Res 10

Wood elf cipher - main job is CC which also sets up sneak attacks for the rogue. Has pike for reach melee, hunting bow

Might 18

Con 7

Dex 19

Per 8

Int 18

Res 8

6th man is story companion, will rotate them through. After clearing temple went and got Durance. Level 4 just cleared magrans fork and black marsh. Rogue leads in damage followed by monk, fighter and chanter tied for 3rd place, chanter has the least.

Temple was difficult due to low level, bad equipment, and general PotD issues of higher stats and numbers. With three guys on the frontline the battles can be controlled. After firing two weapon slots off the rogue circles around with one handed sabre for reckless & savage attack slaughtering. Cipher drops phantom menace to debuff the crowd or whispers small tough group then regens focus with pike from behind frontline. Monk spams torments and FoA as he gets wounded. The chanter gets a summon off while taking a beating.

The whole team has decent damage output spread between melee and ranged with max dex on most for faster actions. Once I get some plate, fine weapons and firearms this should start to snowball into a wrecking crew.

Let us know how it works out.

I personally had better results with 1 tank+offtank instead of 2 tanks+offtank. Mainly because of doorways and pathing. A blunderbuss cipher instead of a 2nd fighter would make your life much easier imo.

u sure about the interaction between flames of devotion and larder door?

ohw ohw ohw a priest who isnt moon godlike GG your done restart game.... no jokes asside

path of the damned is pretty easy (in a team of 6 people) i think even if you would take 6 monks you could do it

there is not really much you can do wrong as everything that comes after defiancebay is super easy mode even on path of the damned.

I'm soloing PoD with a moonlike barb, as a way for scouting out my triple crown achievement. I'm definitely going with a chanter for that.

It's working fairly well so far.  You use the fast running power for retreats a lot, and to get the perfect pulls.  Caed Nua sucks, basically it's a save and reload until scrolls swing the right way game.  Xaurips skirmishers are stunlock murder machines.  That said, I don't think build matters as much as people make it out.  It's more a matter of good tactics, stealth, and smart pulls.

• 3 weeks later...

In order to not have to start another thread on this, I am going to just jump in here.

2nd playhtrough I want to use some classes I did not use on my first hard level playthrough.

Line 1:  Kana and PC Paladin

Line 2:  Hired Ranger w/Bear, Durance

LIne 3:  ALoth and Hirvacias (sp?)

I know there is no fighter tank, but again that is so I can try out new classes.  Is this party to squishy for POTD?  I could swap Eder for Kana, but I really like chanters.  I also don't care about building the perfect min/max party either, just want to have fun playing the game and trying new skills, but I dont want to set my self up for impossible fights later on either.

THoughts??

• 1 month later...

I would like to try out this Party composition, but my question is what abilities and skills are you using for each character? I have trouble with my current party dying (since 3-4 of them are squishies).  So I am willing to try different builds.  Thanks!

I'm playing with 1 paladin and 3 wizards... Lol.

I'm gonna upload some pictures when I get level 8. But seriously... the game is not so hard, even on PotD. You can take who ever you want in your group if you understand mechanics. The only mandatory thing is a tank. There must be at least one super-tanky character.

Yeah my first solo was with a cipher who had only 95 def with level 12 and way less before. If you can dish out enough damage you don't need a tank. Game is just more enjoyable with one or two tanks I feel.